No cash taken at SFGAdv this year

25 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

I don't keep any cash on hand anyways.

Nor do I. In fact, at KI I don’t even bring my card and count on Apple Pay. When I was a kid my parents would give me $10 in cash  for food each day (that was enough at the time) so I wonder how easily they’ll adapt to the card options for kids. 

Side note: if they don’t use this opportunity to link a declining balance feature to their SP cards then they need to be replaced. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised Cedar Fair takes apple pay when places like kroger, Walmart, and Sam club does not.  

I use Samsung pay which is accepted everywhere I have tried.

Was at kroger the other day and the clerk said we don't do apple pay.  I put my phone against the terminal and it completed the transaction.  The clerk was shocked.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

I'm surprised Cedar Fair takes apple pay when places like kroger, Walmart, and Sam club does not.  

I use Samsung pay which is accepted everywhere I have tried.

Was at kroger the other day and the clerk said we don't do apple pay.  I put my phone against the terminal and it completed the transaction.  The clerk was shocked.

The main reason places like Kroger don't take Apple Pay is because they rely on tracking their customers purchases so they can offer them targeted promotions. Kings Island doesn't rely on that. I think going cashless probably won't be a big deal so long they clearly mention that at the entrance of the park.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

The main reason places like Kroger don't take Apple Pay is because they rely on tracking their customers purchases so they can offer them targeted promotions. Kings Island doesn't rely on that. I think going cashless probably won't be a big deal so long they clearly mention that at the entrance of the park.

i thought they tracked it with your plus card and not aby your credit card?

3 hours ago, coaster sally said:

This is more of a training issue and the fact that contactless forms of payment are not chainwide and they have been slowly rolling it out.  But the Kroger stores which take Samsung pay or Google pay also take Apple Pay.

1 minute ago, Kenban said:

This is more of a training issue and the fact that contactless forms of payment are not chainwide and they have been slowly rolling it out.  But the Kroger stores which take Samsung pay or Google pay also take Apple Pay.

I disagree.   Apple pay requires a specific upgrade.  Samsung pay works basically anywhere you can swipe a card.

24 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

I disagree.   Apple pay requires a specific upgrade.  Samsung pay works basically anywhere you can swipe a card.

You can disagree all you want.  Here is a press release from Kroger.  

All of the contactless forms of payment, Samsung, Apple, Google, work on the same technology.  Traditionally once the work is in place to support one you can support all of them and most retailers do.  It is possible to prevent a single companies contactless payment system and some retailers do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kenban said:

All of the contactless forms of payment, Samsung, Apple, Google, work on the same technology.  Traditionally once the work is in place to support one you can support all of them and most retailers do.  It is possible to prevent a single companies contactless payment system and some retailers do.

I still disagree.  Apple does not use MST, Samsung does.

I have never used Apple or Samsung Google pay etc. Not even sure how that works. I always thought you had to get a phone out and its easier and less bulky to use a credit card. In the summer when its hot out and rides have no loose article policies I stick my phone in a locker and can get away leaving a card in my velcro pocket. It gets past metal detectors too.

3 hours ago, Kenban said:

Actually, no.  Your link is for a pilot program to accept contactless payments.  When contactless payments are accepted, that should include tap-to-pay cards as well as all major mobile payment platforms (Samsung Pay, Google Pay, Apple Pay, Fitbit Pay, etc.).  Samsung has its own feature that doesn't rely on the same technology as everyone else.

Older Samsung smartwatch models and (flagship) Galaxy smartphones through S20 (it is not included on US-spec S21 units) feature something called MST, or Magnetic Secure Transmission.  Essentially what MST does is that it emulates the magnetic stripe on the back of a credit card, from the smartphone/smartwatch.  This allows it work with many card terminals that do not otherwise support mobile/contactless payments, without any support needed from the card terminal.  It basically just shows up as a card-present transaction and the merchant is not supposed to be any the wiser.

MST was developed at a time when NFC (see below) was not nearly as widespread as it is today.  At this point, Samsung has evidently decided it is no longer necessary, thus they are cutting the hardware and support costs by eliminating it from new devices.

That said, Walmart, which does not accept Apple Pay, Google Pay, tap-to-pay cards, etc., in its eternal Walmart-ness, and desire to have me shopping elsewhere, has worked with its vendors to find a way to block Samsung Pay MST transactions.  They're not supposed to know the difference but they've found a way, giving a "card not accepted" error.

Adding to this absurdity, Meijer has accepted mobile payments/tap-to-pay not just in-store but at their pumps for the better part of a decade.  Costco's co-branded Citi Visa card even supports contactless payment + membership authentication at their pumps..  But I digress..

Source: Wikipedia, Samsung 

Tap-to-pay cards use Radio Frequency Identification while Apple Pay, Fitbit Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay (by default) use NFC, or near field communication.  These use radio waves to authenticate with the card terminal for payment.  This does require both hardware and software support from the vendor.  That said, with the transition to chip cards, card readers needed to be replaced anyway, many of which support contactless payments.  Despite this hardware support, many merchants have intentionally chosen to disable support for contactless payments.

Source: Wikipedia 

The reason why retailers have taken this anti-consumer, anti-convenience stance, as stated above, is that mobile payments using NFC and MST are effectively anonymized, so the retailer cannot track all transactions made with the card to build a profile.  The apparently would rather have that data than reduce friction, making it easier to take your money at the time, thinking it'll get them more business in the long run.

Many of the merchants who intentionally disabled support for NFC mobile payments formed something called Merchant Customer Exchange to develop a product called CurrentC.  This would've been an app on your phone that pulled up a QR code for the cashier to scan (seriously).  Companies like Target, Lowe's, and CVS refused to accept Apple Pay et al because they wanted to use this system to build customer profiles.  Shockingly, it didn't work.

Source: Wikipedia 

16 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

I have never used Apple or Samsung Google pay etc. Not even sure how that works. I always thought you had to get a phone out and its easier and less bulky to use a credit card. In the summer when its hot out and rides have no loose article policies I stick my phone in a locker and can get away leaving a card in my velcro pocket. It gets past metal detectors too.

So long as you have your phone on you, it's often easier than digging through a wallet.  On an iPhone or Apple Watch, for instance, just double tap the power button, select a card, and hold it up to the reader.  It's especially quicker than waiting on a chip card to process. :)