What's the best option?

Kyle100991

A buddy of mine is coming up here in June and we are going to Kings Island for two days then we are going up to Cedar Point for two days. I have a Kings Island Gold pass but nothing for Cedar Point. Would I be better off upgrading to a Platinum pass or just getting a two day ticket?

A CP two day pre-season ticket special (which also includes Cedar Shores water park, a single day ticket would  not) runs $74.99.   Add two days of $20/day parking, and you would be around $190 for both.  If you would upgrade to Platinum, you would save the $40 total parking fee and a little bit on overall gate price.  A Platinum pass upgrade would also get you an hour early entry to CP, but since your friend would have just the two day ticket, the early entry for just you may not be a benefit.  If you upgraded to platinum, the $40 parking savings could be used to purchase the all park drink plan to help save costs.  If you would stay at a CP hotel for the night (like CP Express Hotel at the causeway entrance which is the cheapest), all CP hotel guest can enter the park early.  If you don’t want to upgrade to Platinum, you might also consider one of the CP all inclusive package deals (hotel/early entry/free drinks/free parking) being offered on their website (pricing depends which days and which CP hotel in June that you would be visiting).

$50 right now gets you entry, food and parking.

Same type of deals will be in play all season.  Same for KI.  

Days tickets are $40 right now. $75+tax and service fees is probably real close to the price to change your gold to platinum. Opens more options for you this summer.

Pull out a spreadsheet.  Plug some numbers in.  See what works best.  There's a lot of ways to do this and there are probably still more ticket offers to come. (groupon, etc.)

In reality, you'll probably get cheap tix for him at KI.  

Another way to save money: Parking at Cedar Point good for 24 hours.  You can skip paying the second day if you arrive a few minutes earlier than you did the day before.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to hijack--but I have a similar question. The family and I are planning a trip to CP to stay on-site (cottage). We have KI Gold Passes and it looks like it may be a wash to upgrade to Platinum and just pay for our lodging. About how much is it to upgrade (what I saw was ~$80--does that sound right? Also, when booking lodging at CP, is there any discount if you are a passholder? Thanks!!