Bigger Than Top Thrill Dragster

Coaster-King

Today i was surfing the next then i went to www.screamscape.com and looking in internet news. And Six flag Great Adventure is planning to build Max Maxx Maxxx, the world's newest tallest and fastest coaster. Then there were already rumors about a new coaster before this rumor. That is so cool. But bad is TTD is breaking down if it is going to fast? What do yall think?

Look at article

Six Flags News - (7/19/04) Poking around in the Trademark documents filed lately, I found filings from Six Flags dated June 4th, 2004 for the names “MAXâ€, “MAXX†and “MAXXXâ€. I can’t help but wonder if this has something to do with the ride that will likely be announced first... the rumored coaster for Six Flags Great Adventure that may take the record for world’s fastest or tallest coaster from Cedar Point’s Top Thrill Dragster. In any case, the name certainly fits.

If the rumor is true (but I have my doubts), I would think Six Flags should start focusing on taking care of their craptastic parks instead of just building rides for the hell of building rides. It's no wonder they are losing money while Paramount continues to grow.

The stats for the length were made public, its only like 2,400 something feet, Top Thrill Dragster is 2,800. There is no way they will be able to launch you fast enough to get higher that Top Thrill. I however think that they will be getting a rocket coaster, something along the lines of Xcellerator, somewhat tall, around 200 or so feet, but have some hill and maybe inversions to go with it.

I have also read that S&S Power has a design in the works that will go higher than TTD. If you look at the stats for Hypersonic, it actually launches quicker than Dragster. Maybe S&S is the one that is building it for SFGA. I agree with Aaron that they need to concentrate on maintaining what they have.

I've been following these rumours closely as SF Great Adventure will be one of the parks I visit next summer. I plan on going on a road trip across the US and visiting about 10 different parks.

Anyways back on topic, alot of the rumours have been speculating that it will be B&M, or Premier Rides in building the new coaster. If that's true, they could launch the coaster higher in a shorter distance if they have the technology. You don't have to use TTD's length and height as a example as a different launching method could send it higher in a shorter area. I would keep a eye out for B&M on this one as they already have 4 at GADV, and would be a ideal place to introduce their Turbo (launch) coaster.

To be honest, I think at this point alot of the rumours are too far fetched. I really don't expect a coaster to break TTD's records. They may indeed build a rocket (Intamin), turbo (B&M), or bullet (Premier Rides) coaster at SFGADV but expect under 420'.

In our world today, money talks. Simple as that.

If Six Flags Great America has the space and money, then I'm going to bet that one coaster company is going to be there to help push the envelope.

I can't wait until a park builds something that beats out Top Thrill Dragster. It's always exciting to see records broken and new technology brought to the public. Does anyone remember when Flight of Fear opened? That generated a LOT of hype with the introduction of Linear Induction Motors.

Bigger than Top Thrill Dragster? I doubt next year, but maybe in 2006 or 2007.

call it a hunch but i'm thinking a launched 4d. there was talks about the development of this ride a fe wmonths back, perhaps S&S is taking arrow's X design to the MAXXX! ya know? l (maximum x) or something like that? i'm not counting on seeing it happen, but its just a thought.

B&M did build the launch. Company's have contracts with things like that. They knew what Universal was going to do. It even goes straight into a zero g roll. Itd be impossible to make that with a chain lift. So B&M has made one launch coaster. They wouldnt have let them do it if it wasnt approved by B&M.

No, B&M has made zero launch coasters. The launch was done by another company. B&M was not comfortable doing the launch. I can't seem to find whom did it, but it was definitely not B&M. Probably Premier built it.

Found it. Here's a link to an article concerning the launch. Hulk

It was actually Universal that designed the launch.

Edited by PKI Homey

In our world today, money talks. Simple as that.

If Six Flags Great America has the space and money, then I'm going to bet that one coaster company is going to be there to help push the envelope.

Homey - when I said money talks, I meant that with enough money, someone will do it. Hell, that's even what I said. I didn't say that for enough money, B&M would do it. My apologies if I confused you.

B&M would do it. B&M is going to lose alot of buisness soon. All the parks are going to get sick of the same hyper coaster. Flyers are quickly becoming a thing of the past 2. B&M will be forced to step up the program. B&M feel's comfortable enough with launches that theyd do a coaster. Whether they did the actual launching mechanism or not they aggreed to make the coaster.

I'm not totally sure if I agree with this. Bolliger and Mabillard is NOT going to lose a lot of business soon. Yes, B&M is what I call more of a traditional coaster company, in that they (from what I understand and believe) have not installed a coaster with a launch feature (Hulk is the question). They can build big, fast coasters with fantastic airtime and design - not to forget how silky smooth they ride and that orgasmic roaring noise they make.

I would be temporarily and mildly surprised if B&M installed a coaster with a launch feature (not one of those someone-else-built-the-launch numbers). I would also be temporarily and mildly surprised if B&M installed a coaster that was well above 300 feet tall. They have designed and installed several coasters nearly 250 feet tall, but none taller.

Just a few words from a man who thinks he knows nothing.

Im just saying that b&m doesnt even have that many hyper coasters. Im not talking about the next 2 years but over a 10 year spectrum they are going to have to step up their ball game. Im sure morgan has some plans up their sleeve's as well as premiere its almost completley obvious S&S is gonna be doing something. Intamin will always be going higher and higher (unless they go completley unwanted due to their restraint issue's). A few years ago b&m tryed to sell PKI the biggest tallest fastest and most inversions stand up. PKI laughed in their face and said no. B&M always lets other's do the prototype work for them. Look at how delayed their flying coasters where. They studyed vekoma's etc and found out what needed to be improved and they did it. Now I bet they are doing the same with intamin as we speak. But they do not do any prototype work themselves hardly. They took hyper coaster's farther and imrpoved them. Same with inverts, stand-up's. Well they did prototype floorless on their own. But they had already mastered inverted coasters which is very similair to floorless. Im just saying that look at b&m's past and where the coaster market is going.

Yeah, I was a little confused about that fryler. Anyway, I don't think B&M will be missing out on any business either. I'm not really aware that any parks are interested in gigacoasters or I would think that others would have been built by now. Not everyone is going for the world record. B&M is comfortable designing a coaster that will use a launch, but for some reason, they won't build it themselves. Not sure what the issue behind it is, seeing how there are several successful and reliable launched coasters out there. I could see where they wouldn't want to fool with hydraulic launches, but otherwise, every other launch is proven to be reliable. And, reliability is the major concern for B&M. They want reliability and excitement factors to be their main selling points along with the smoothness. My only problem is, inverts have kind of hit a wall. There are no new elements being created for them, so the only thing left is an original layout.

Then again I wouldnt be surprised if alot of parks just went for the strata coaster title. But its all in time.

I would be. Most parks don't have the amount of money that thrill parks like King's Island, Six Flags Magic Mountain (or a few other Six Flags parks) or Cedar Point have to throw around. Many smaller parks cannot afford big, flashy rides that break records. However, just one or two people-eating coasters built by Arrow, Bolliger and Mabillard or Intamin AG will really boost a park's revenue.

This may make little sense to someone, but it makes sense to me.

Over time, parks will continue to break records (such as height), but there won't be three 400+ ft. tall installations over the next two years. That would be like waaaaay too much rollercoaster inflation (like the economy). You want a little inflation over periods of time, but not too much, or everything will be ruined.

I strongly agree with Punk; just give B&M some time. They're still a fairly young company. I see B&M still being a major player in the thrill industry for many years to come.

Just some more thoughts.

• Like 1

Im just going by what past history has said. Arrow once owned the market to. Its really all up in the air. Look at the buisness b&m has lost since intamin started designing the next gen hyper's. Those couldve been b&m hypers instead of intamin ones at six flags. Now b&m will have another boost since intamin has had a recent streak of fatalities but within the next 10 years theyll be doing stuff they said they wouldnt.

B&M loses out on hypers due to the cost. B&M's are some of the most expensive coasters in the industry. Obviously, when Intamin gave SF a cheaper price tag, they could afford to install more of them as opposed to just a couple of B&M's. I think everyone would agree that Bolliger and Mabillard are great designers (and make great coasters), but I haven't noticed anything truly spectacular that justifies their higher prices (except maybe the inverts).