Bigger Than Top Thrill Dragster

Coaster-King

I just like the sexy roaring sounds all B&Ms produce.

B&M does have the invert advatage over Intamin when it comes to custom designs. However, it seems as if B&M hasn't built an invert in a while...oh wait...there's that dang Silver Bullet they're putting up out west. Intamin has built very full circuit inverts, but their shuttle impulse inverts seem to have popped up everywhere.

I can see how one can say that B&M hasn't been doing as well as they were in the mid to late nineties, however their track record (BA HA HA!! TRACK RECORD...) has shown that their products are sure crowd-pleasers. Come on now, when was the last time YOU went on any Bolliger and Mabillard installation and came off dissatisfied or in serious pain?

If B&M doesn't open up (like a few of you have been saying) and start to push their own envelope, they probably will have a more difficult time finding business in the future.

Hey fryler, I didn't know that Intamin had full circuit inverts. Oh wait, don't they only have the one, the Volcano Blast Coaster at PKD? Or, are there more?

There's two other full-circuit inverted Intamins, both of which are called Tornado.

One here. aaaaand this one. I don't expect to see many more of these pop up anywhere. They're probably smooth and fun, but no other park has invested in them, which leads me to say that they're not all that popular.

I'll put my money on this here bet: World's Tallest Roller Coaster breaks record for 2007 season. Coaster built by either Intamin themselves, B&M (after they push their envelope) or S&S (the better choice with Intamin). It's 500 feet tall and utilizes a launching mechanism.

there is a rumor circulating hard the Cedar Point is going to break the 500 foot lift hill in the next year or so. So that will put to rest the fear that Cedar Point is not "keeping up with the Jones' " The coaster which has yet to be named is under development as you read this. Hopefully we will see this monster in the next year or two at Cedar Point. Being an Ohio resident i will be glad to be one of the first people to ride this thing. Thanx for reading...............

there is a rumor circulating hard the Cedar Point is going to break the 500 foot lift hill in the next year or so. So that will put to rest the fear that Cedar Point is not "keeping up with the Jones' " The coaster which has yet to be named is under development as you read this. Hopefully we will see this monster in the next year or two at Cedar Point. Being an Ohio resident i will be glad to be one of the first people to ride this thing. Thanx for reading...............

That rumor is most likely NOT true. If CP ALREADY has the height record, why would they go and break it again. Plus, a 500 foot LIFT HILL??? Are you crazy? Even with Intamin's cable lift mechanism, that isn't very probable. Sorry dude...

Cedar Point has the height record for now, but this might not be the case within the next season or two, what with all the rumors flying around about Six Flags Great Adventure's new coaster. (However, I am very skeptical about the specs concering this new coaster.) As for a 500 ft. lift hill, I don't see that happening anytime soon, or at all for that matter. A coaster of that magnitude would have an astronomical pricetage, and the issue of terminal velocity comes into play as well.

After riding Top Thrill Dragster yesterday, I don`t know how much taller and faster roller coasters can/should go. While it was a fun ride, it was also a very intense launch. I highly doubt Cedar Point is building another prototype ride 100' taller. Even in its second season TTD is having mechanical problems. It broked down twice yesterday and two empty trains rolled back.

After riding Top Thrill Dragster yesterday, I don`t know how much taller and faster roller coasters can/should go.

People were saying the EXACT same thing when Gemini broke the record for the world's tallest coaster back in 1978. Not even a decade later, the Point brought the record back with Magnum - 205 feet in height. Millie came out in 2000 at a height of 310 ft, and Dragster opened in '03 standing 420 ft. tall.

With few practical limits (money being the main one), the sky is the limit.

Those look VERY similiar to Dragster's support beams. Once track arrives, we'll know in a heartbeat who's building it. I'll believe that it is an Intamin Rocket model; my question is this: Why invest in such a coaster when previous installations have been having mechanical problems?

• Like 1

Those look VERY similiar to Dragster's support beams. Once track arrives, we'll know in a heartbeat who's building it. I'll believe that it is an Intamin Rocket model; my question is this: Why invest in such a coaster when previous installations have been having mechanical problems?

Very good question, one I was wondering myself.

Not only mechanical problems, but in general Intamin's safety record has been less then stellar with the incident on S:ROS. As well as the latest accident at Cedar Point with TTD.

I know Six Flags are not the best managed parks, but I think they have to be smart enough to realize all the problems in terms of downtime with TTD. For them to try and break the record, with the same technology would be begging for a letdown.

Both Xcelerator and Stormrunner the other two Rocket Coasters have been more dependable then TTD, so that leads me to believe that GAdv will go that route. Also unless Intamin has created a new type of launching method there is no way they can break the height record with the shorter track length.

The one record they could possibly break is the speed record of TTD, with a longer then normal launch track, and then feature a smaller hill, and possibly have inversions like Stormrunner.

Only time will tell, but this is definately exciting news for me. I can't wait for next summer.

With going along which was just previously said, I remember Six Flags Great Adventure having to remove their Ultra-Twister roller coaster to Six Flags Astro World just because their mechanics were having to much trouble with it. With that said, the Ultra Twister coaster was a piece of cake if they’re thinking about installing a ride similar to Top Thrill Dragster.

It could be that they are just adding a rocket coaster and not a record breaker. If this is the case, then they'll be ok with the up time. Xcelerator and Stormrunner are running fine and consistent. Plus, with the newer seats like on Dragster, they'll have no problems there either.

• 1 month later...

Looks like TTD's reign as the worlds tallest and fastest is going to come to an end soon.

SFGadv has sent out Media invitations to the unveiling of their new coaster that takes place next Wednesday. On the two invitations, both have references that it's a world record breaker.

"Fastest...Tallest...Worldwide."

"This eats ALL records"

On the first invitation it has a background image that appears to be identical to TTD, so now that they say they are breaking records, the only question is by what amount. Also whether they will use the Launch - Top Hat - Brake model for their coaster.

You can find pictures of the invitations on Screamscape

For the coaster rider in me. I am very excited as I was already planning on going to SFGAdv next summer, this is just icing on the cake.

However, I still think Six Flags is stupid for adding a ride of this magnitude. They need to spend more time trying to improve on their current assets, as well as park operations.

Ahh well, I can only hope they are able to have it up and running by next year, considering TTD's downtime that may not be an easy feat.

Looks to me like a clone of TTD, except the invitation makes it appear as if it will launch left to right like Xcelerator. Which, might mean that you will take that twist on the way up instead of the way down. I for one, am guessing that improvements in the design have been made since TTD. Also, some of the problems that TTD has had lies with Cedar Point. Example: A cooling system for the cable. Hopefully, Six Flags will be able to keep it running more, but I doubt it. They can't seem to keep the ones they already have open. Yes, they will be spending all kinds of money on this one, but there will still be plenty of money to make other improvements.

Someone once said, "The worst risk is not taking one at all." Six Flags has tripped and stumbled in the past, and possibly their most risky move was attempting to take over the entire amusement park industry, causing a monoply. I'd venture to say that the ego of Six Flags Corp. got the best of them.

How can you say that "Six Flags is stupid for adding a ride of this magnitude," and that "They need to spend more time trying to improve on their current assets, as well as park operations"? In the real world, you cannot stop all operations just to put 100% of your efforts on one specific thing. Six Flags IS cleaning up their act when it comes to owning too many parks. Six Flags IS taking note that parks like Cedar Point win over guests because of cleanliness and landscaping.

I think that them making this move will be a good one. How many total coasters are they building for 2005? According to RCDB, only 2; one of them in Mexico. I think this ride will help them rebuild, but don't expect this kind of move multiple times every year.

• Like 1

I think I have to agree that this doesn't seem to be the smartest possible choice for Six Flags. While its true that they can't just focus 100% of their attention on cleaning up previous mistakes, I don't think sinking such a substantial amount of money for a new ride is the right choice either. It isn't like Great Adventure has been going without new additions, afterall Superman: Ultimate Flight just opened last year. I think it would have been smarter to add a smaller scale coaster and then use some of the additional money to operate the rides they currently have!

I distinctly remember attending East Coaster in 2000, the year after Great Adventure declared a "War on Lines" and added the 25 new rides. The park spokeswoman made the comment along these lines: "Well, we added 25 new attractions this past summer and if you would have visited on 25 different occassions you may have gotten to ride all of them!". I think this is what is concerning people. If the other rides in the Park can't operate efficiently, without experiencing a lot of down time, what does that mean for this new one? Especially with a system that STILL has proven to be HIGHLY problematic and not dependable. Lets face it, Dragster is in its second season and still sees A LOT of down time. From what I understand, Storm Runner has had its fair share of problems this season as well. Just seems like this particular ride system still has a lot of kinks to be worked out before it is expanded upon, yet here we go with a ride that will push its limits even MORE.

I think PKI has had the right idea the past few years, just adding several smaller family geared attractions. It seems to be working. I think Italian Job will be a great addition and I think that it will operate fairly efficiently. Premier seems to really have hit the nail on the head with Revenge of the Mummy. Even during the soft openings that I got to ride on back in April, it ran without very many hitches at all. From what I understand, the ride still runs very reliably with little down time.

- Todd

How can you say that "Six Flags is stupid for adding a ride of this magnitude," and that "They need to spend more time trying to improve on their current assets, as well as park operations"? In the real world, you cannot stop all operations just to put 100% of your efforts on one specific thing. Six Flags IS cleaning up their act when it comes to owning too many parks. Six Flags IS taking note that parks like Cedar Point win over guests because of cleanliness and landscaping.

I think that them making this move will be a good one. How many total coasters are they building for 2005? According to RCDB, only 2; one of them in Mexico. I think this ride will help them rebuild, but don't expect this kind of move multiple times every year.

Let's just take a look at SF Gadv since this is the park in question they currently have two coasters that don't operate 95% of the time. The Batman side of Batman and Robin: The Chiller has been SBNO all summer, as the LIMS are burnt out in the mid course boost. As well, Viper is rarely operating even on a good day. Currently there are 10 rides either down indefinately or for the season, that's acceptable.

I visited Six Flags Darien Laker earlier in the summer, and the whole park expierence blows you away that a huge chain operates the way they do. Coasters running one train for the whole day, employee's who are not friendly and not even capable at what they do. A good example is the re-entry line, there was over a half hour wait to re-enter the park after getting lunch in my car. Why? The security post is after you re-enter the park, and there is only one guard doing it.

It's just the small things, and I hardly think that spending 25+ million on one huge addition is the way to go. If they added something small for this upcoming season, and spent most of their time getting their current rides working, as well as improving guest relations, and park cleaniness. Then the park would be in fine form for a new addition, all they are doing now is putting a temporary band aid on the park, sure it will bring people into the park, but will they return after the Six Flags experience? Based on their current attendence with one of the best lineups of coasters around, people aren't.

I just wanna point out one thing:

Dont you guys think its a little premature calling it a clone of TTD? It could very well be a different design, but they needed something cool and rememerable as a backdrop.

More rumours so far have been a top hat, followed by a bunny hill or a over-banked turn. Some of the supports that are on site support this rumour. That there will be an element different from TTD.

The only question mark is how exactly they can have a taller coaster, with another element with a shorter track length then TTD.

We'll know next Wednesday. smile.gif

Now, I have heard many people saying that maybe the track length was reported wrong. This wold make it possible to be more than what Dragster is. If not, then I don't know how you go higher than Dragster with a shorter amount of track, considering that people have already seen the launch track sections and it appears there is the same amount of launch track as Dragster. Personally, I can't wait to see what exactly the announcement will be. It's also been speculated that it may go over 500ft.

Why do you say this is a bad investment for Six Flags? They have been slowly selling off parks since it's obvious that it is too much to handle for them. Yeah, they could buy a lot more coasters, but I think they are trying to steal a little bit of Cedar Point's thunder. They have owned the height record pretty much since Magnum XL 200. And, when they have lost the record, it wasn't but about one or two seasons for them to reclaim it. But, don't worry. It has also been rumored that Dick Kenzel, President and CEO of Cedar Point wants to go out with a bang which may result in a 700 ft. coaster. But, at this point, it's all speculation.

Well think about it I know what your saying but Six Flags is in financial problems and do you really think a 25 million dallor coaster is what they need. They should use that 25 million and lanscape the parks better and give us a better quality park experiance instead of having rides broken down and not even open to the public.

Here is the press release. The coaster will be 456 feet tall! The RCDB has been updated with the specifics, and there are even photos of track pieces. It looks like construction has begun. It is basically a clone of TTD, but with a HUGE airtime hill after the tophat and drop. Enjoy!

JACKSON, N.J. – Six Flags Great AdventureGreat Adventure will launch the tallest and fastest roller coaster on earth, the keystone of a new, mythical jungle kingdom, which will also feature an elaborate children's area and massive tiger exhibit for the 2005 season.

"The announcement today represents the largest expansion in the 30-year history of Six Flags Great AdventureGreat Adventure," Kieran Burke, Six Flags, Inc. CEO, explained. "Six Flags Great AdventureGreat Adventure is already the world's largest regional theme park, and this record-breaking new capital marks the first step in transforming this park into a true family destination."

The new roller coaster will shatter all existing world records for speed and height by legendary proportions. Truly the "King of Coasters," Kingda Ka will rocket riders horizontally from 0 to 128 mph in 3.5 seconds before vertically catapulting them a mind-blowing 456 feet (45 stories) into the sky at a 90-degree angle. After a brief moment in the clouds, riders descend 418 feet (41 stories) back down to earth in a 270-degree spiral, only to experience another breathtaking moment of weightlessness as they soar over a 129-foot-tall hill (nearly 13 stories) and then glide back into the station.

"The addition of Kingda Ka, the tallest and fastest roller coaster on earth, brings our already spectacular coaster arsenal up to 14," said Six Flags Great AdventureGreat Adventure's vice president and general manager, Rick McCurley. "There is no doubt that this will be the top stop for thrill seekers worldwide."

Kingda Ka will be the cornerstone of a new 11-acre, mythical jungle domain called The Golden Kingdom. The Golden Kingdom will also feature Balin's Jungle Land, an elaborate, new children's area; Temple of the Tiger, a massive, new educational tiger exhibit; plus three new shops and four new eateries.

With one of the largest play structures of its kind in the world, Balin's Jungle Land will rank as the most eye-popping, must-do addition for children. The new themed section will feature five themed rides that enable kids to soar, twist, swing and cruise. The giant new play structure will include five interactive, multileveled structures towering nearly three stories. The three dry structures and two wet structures will offer 30 different platform levels with cargo nets, bridges and slides, spray guns, tipping buckets and a "jumping" fountain where kids can splash and play.

In The Golden Kingdom, park guests can enjoy a fascinating encounter with awesome Bengal tigers. The more than 33,000 square-foot Temple of the Tiger exhibit, one of only three exhibits of its kind worldwide, will feature massive Bengal tigers, Balin, Faruk, Hara and Chandi, displaying natural animal behaviors – jumping, wrestling, pouncing and playing. Highly skilled, hands-on trainers will interact with both the audience and the young adult tigers, sharing interesting facts and even swimming with the breathtaking cats.

Temple of the Tiger will also feature extremely rare "golden" tiger cubs, named for their white coat and remarkable gold stripes.

Between programs, trainers will interact with the Bengal tigers in their specially designed habitat. The state-of-the-art, 1,000-seat venue will be specifically designed for these new animals.

Throughout The Golden Kingdom, guests can also encounter a variety of exotic animals and their handlers. Visitors will find cockatoos and macaws, coati mundi, porcupine, a rainbow boa constrictor, albino python, kinkajou and capuchin monkey.

"The Golden Kingdom will offer something for everyone, from the littlest guests to the ultimate thrill seekers," McCurley concluded. "This exotic kingdom is just the kind of superlative offering our guests have come to expect from Six Flags Great AdventureGreat Adventure."

Kingda Ka and the entire Golden Kingdom are slated for a spring 2005 opening.

Six Flags Great AdventureGreat Adventure theme park, Six Flags Wild Safari animal park, and Six Flags Hurricane Harbor water park are located in Jackson, N.J. The parks comprise America's largest regional family entertainment complex. The combined 2,200-acre facility, located midway between Philadelphia and New York City, is part of Six Flags, Inc.

Six Flags, Inc. is the world's largest regional theme park company. Through its subsidiaries, it owns and operates a total of 31 parks in North America and Europe. Six Flags parks serve 34 of the 50 largest metropolitan areas in the United States. Six Flags, Inc. is a publicly held corporation with corporate offices in New York City and Oklahoma City. The Company's stock trades on the NYSE under the symbol: PKS.

At first I thought the idea of a TTD clone would be a waste of money, considering there are many other things Six Flags could do with the money. But the coaster is just a part of a huge new area. Looking at the grand scheme of things, I think it is a good idea. It gives the New York area a really good state of the art coaster, as well as this animal park. I think the theming will be great. And Kingda Ka is way better than MaxMaxxMaxxx.