Kings Island 2021 Discussion

coaster sally

With 2022 being the 50th anniversary, I think they'll play it as a celebration season. Pre-Covid, maybe a new ride as CP and Knotts were planning to introduce for their anniversary seasons. Now, I don't see it. A themed parade or mid summer anniversary spectacular, MAYBE a re-theme of an existing ride. The easy thing would be to go backwards Racer for 1 year, but I don't see Cedar Fair allowing that. 

• Like 4

I could see Kings Island bringing back smaller things for their 50th anniversary. Things like the Coney Mall sign, the Oktoberfest sign, the large ivy tunnel, and old food items could be brought back. I could also see them repainting The Racer to its original color scheme and focusing on older rides. Other things Kings Island could do include building a new restaurant, adding a legacy walk, or maybe bringing back a smaller ride like Der Spinning Keggars or re-theming Boo Blasters to Phantom Theater. Those are probably more unlikely though.

In terms of 2021, I would like to see shows return as well as full trains and all trains.

• Like 4

I'm sure they have to make up for the money they lost in 2020 from Covid before they purchase a roller coaster. I'm sure they're talking with different roller coaster manufacturers before they make a final decision. I would guess that things are in the design phase.

7 hours ago, Shawn Meyer said:

I'm sure they have to make up for the money they lost in 2020 from Covid before they purchase a roller coaster. I'm sure they're talking with different roller coaster manufacturers before they make a final decision. I would guess that things are in the design phase.

Idk about that. The design phase for Orion didn't start until 2018. I think they are waiting for covid to die down and will give Orion at least 3-4 seasons of it being the new big star attraction at the park like Diamondback was the years leading up to Banshee. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 7:50 AM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Idk about that. The design phase for Orion didn't start until 2018. I think they are waiting for covid to die down and will give Orion at least 3-4 seasons of it being the new big star attraction at the park like Diamondback was the years leading up to Banshee. 

I'd like to see the park spend the next couple years sprucing up the themed areas, touching up current attractions, and maybe focus more on unique festival-like events. Perhaps this would also be a good time to finally re-theme Action Zone? 

• Like 1

For many people, Orion will be a new ride this year, and I agree with others who believe next year will be a 50th anniversary celebration. My guess is they won't announce a coaster for that; I'd imagine they follow something similar to what Cedar Point previously announced (and is doing this year). I'd love to see them do some sort of commemorative photo book like CP did (although I've also pre-ordered A RIDE THROUGH TIME, so if they don't, I'm pretty set on history). KI seems to do a better job with nostalgia than CP does, so I'd imagine they'll really lean into it for next year. 

For this year, I think it's just going to be a typical year, focused on getting back to normal-ish. I know right now seems to be an iffy time, with spikes in cases around the country. But I know there's optimism that as more people are vaccinated, cases will dramatically drop and this summer will be fairly normal. Just a year of powering through, followed by an announcement for the anniversary year, will be good enough for me. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Judging off the webcams, it appears all three of Diamondback’s trains are in the maintenance bay!

I've been hoping we are getting all 3 DB and MT trains, as well as full loads.  Will definitely help cut down wait times!!!!  (and by full loads I simply mean loading every row/seat, not pairing different parties together)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

Fastlanes are going to be good for passholder preview days this year.

I feel lucky I got one for this year, I feel with the increased excitement and anticipation of this season one will be very handy to have. 

They are still available through Carowinds if someone wants one, just be sure to buy the all parks one of course. 

9 minutes ago, nkyaaron78 said:

I feel lucky I got one for this year, I feel with the increased excitement and anticipation of this season one will be very handy to have. 

They are still available through Carowinds if someone wants one, just be sure to buy the all parks one of course. 

Don't forget if you had it in 2020 its still good for 2021.

• Like 1

In KI's re-opening plan they said guests have to plan for their visit in advance - does anyone know if we have to make reservations for a specific day ahead of time, even if we have season passes? Admittedly I didn't make it out to the park last summer, so I'm not sure if the same plan was in place last year, but wondering how that works.

Also, with Ohio's new guidelines no longer limiting outdoor event capacity (although keeping mask guidance and social distancing in place), do you think KI will increase daily capacity?

1 hour ago, CincyCoasters said:

In KI's re-opening plan they said guests have to plan for their visit in advance - does anyone know if we have to make reservations for a specific day ahead of time, even if we have season passes? Admittedly I didn't make it out to the park last summer, so I'm not sure if the same plan was in place last year, but wondering how that works.

No indications yet that reservations will be required. 

Capacity wasn't an issue last year.  I doubt they hit capacity more than once or twice, if that.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CincyCoasters said:

Also, with Ohio's new guidelines no longer limiting outdoor event capacity (although keeping mask guidance and social distancing in place), do you think KI will increase daily capacity?

The "have to plan for their visit" means they don't want people to show up unprepared. If they were going to require reservations this year, it would've said "all guests must make a reservation before coming." 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cedar Fair is splitting management of park operations between Jason McClure and Pat Jones.

https://www.morningjournal.com/business/carrie-boldman-named-vice-president-and-general-manager-at-cedar-point/article_5654b2b2-97a2-11eb-b665-e7c577b701eb.html

Cedar Point announced April 6 that Carrie Boldman was named vice president and general manager of the park, becoming the first woman in that role in the history of the 150-year-old organization.

Boldman succeeds Jason McClure, who was promoted to senior vice president, park operations, at Cedar Point’s parent company, Cedar Fair Entertainment Company.

In McClure’s new role, he will oversee operations at the following Cedar Fair parks: Canada’s Wonderland in Toronto; Cedar Point; Michigan’s Adventure in Muskegon, Mich.; Dorney Park in Allentown, Pa.; Kings Island near Cincinnati; and Worlds of Fun in Kansas City.

https://www.coaster101.com/2021/04/06/carowinds-announces-manny-gonzalez-as-new-vpgm/

Carowinds announced today that Manny Gonzalez, most recently Vice President and General Manager of California’s Great America, has been named vice president and general manager of the park. He succeeds Pat Jones, who has been promoted to senior vice president, park operations, at Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, Carowinds’ parent company.

In Jones’ new role as senior vice president, she will have operational oversight for the following parks: California’s Great America, Carowinds, Kings Dominion in Virginia, Knott’s Berry Farm in California, Schlitterbahn parks in New Braunfels and Galveston, Texas, and Valleyfair in Minnesota.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

Was there anyone previously in this role?  Or are they both new roles?  I know that Tim Fisher is COO of Cedar Fair.

This is what I’ve also been wondering. I’ve looked but I’ve founded no previous mentioned of SVP of operations @ CedarFair so I’m assuming it’s a new role. I’m assuming the regional VP role still exists (Which was filled by Bob white for the parks KI, KD & CP) but I guess it’s also possible that role has been phased out and replaced with this new posistion?

• Like 3