Kings Island 2021 Discussion

coaster sally

Cars were backed up in the street an hour before open. Fastlane sold out. I'm  about toget my 3rd ride on Orion. I think its running faster and giving more airtime with full trains. Ops are pairing strangers together too. Going to be a good day.

Flight of Fear is still skipping rows and it seems to be completely random as to which ones.

Edited by SnakePlissken
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, lifetimecoaster said:

Sitting at brew house drinking this blue ice cream beer.... it’s not horrible, neat novelty, but it’s not the worlds greatest fruited cream ale. That goes to sun king with their orange dreamsicle beer. 

At least its better than the Sunder Giga Lager. I tried both today.

I went today and had a great (but long, and at some points, tiring) day! It was the first time I had been back since NYE 2019 and Orion was certainly worth the wait. Despite the crowds (or, due to the crowds, rather), I also got 4 rides on The Bat (still the best, IMO - more thoughts on Orion in a bit) and 2 on Adventure Express. Food lines were crazy, so I went to Coney BBQ as the wait didn't seem as bad compared to the others.

As I alluded to, I rode Orion for the first time today* and thought it was a really "fun" coaster. Yes, there are some thrills (like the floatjector air towards the end, which seems more pronounced at night), but overall it's a lot of fun (like Lightning Racer at Hersheypark). Unfortunately, it still does not beat out The Bat as the best coaster in the park. The location, nostalgia and thrill level (my rule of thumb is the further back you sit, the more intense/thrilling The Bat becomes) puts it above the rest IMO. Also, though the night ride on Orion was enjoyable (especially the hype leading up to it from those in line), other than the more pronounced airtime I mentioned earlier, I think it's better during the day.

Finally, there were a lot of rides I did not get to due to the crowds that I would love to ride next time like Invertigo, Drop Zone, Racer and Beast. Also, Delirium was down all day, which was a bit of a bummer, but these things happen. Overall, it was packed, but it was so good to be back. Also, got to catch up with friends including @IndyGuy4KI, @electricsun, @Magenta Lizard and others. It's great to be back in the park again! :D

*Specifically, I rode during the day in Row 6 (I think?) and at night in Row 4, both times in the seat closest to the exit.

EDIT: I also wanted to say I noticed the new music playing over the speakers. Though it appears to be the same 10 or so songs, I liked the inclusion of BTS's "Dynamite" and that one weird sea shanty song that apparently was popular on TikTok (the song is called "Wellerman")? Other notable tracks include "Dance Monkey" (played right before said sea shanty tune), "Levitating" by Dua Lipa, "The Man" by Taylor Swift and "Blinding Lights" by The Weeknd.

EDIT2: Correction: The "sea shanty" song is called Wellerman (I originally said the song was by Wallerman, which is incorrect)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MDMC01 said:

I went today and had a great (but long, and at some points, tiring) day! It was the first time I had been back since NYE 2019 and Orion was certainly worth the wait. Despite the crowds (or, due to the crowds, rather), I also got 4 rides on The Bat (still the best, IMO - more thoughts on Orion in a bit) and 2 on Adventure Express. Food lines were crazy, so I went to Coney BBQ as the wait didn't seem as bad compared to the others.

As I alluded to, I rode Orion for the first time today* and thought it was a really "fun" coaster. Yes, there are some thrills (like the floatjector air towards the end, which seems more pronounced at night), but overall it's a lot of fun (like Lightning Racer at Hersheypark). Unfortunately, it still does not beat out The Bat as the best coaster in the park. The location, nostalgia and thrill level (my rule of thumb is the further back you sit, the more intense/thrilling The Bat becomes) puts it above the rest IMO. Also, though the night ride on Orion was enjoyable (especially the hype leading up to it from those in line), other than the more pronounced airtime I mentioned earlier, I think it's better during the day.

Finally, there were a lot of rides I did not get to due to the crowds that I would love to ride next time like Invertigo, Drop Zone, Racer and Beast. Also, Delirium was down all day, which was a bit of a bummer, but these things happen. Overall, it was packed, but it was so good to be back. Also, got to catch up with friends including @IndyGuy4KI, @electricsun, @Magenta Lizard and others. It's great to be back in the park again! :D

*Specifically, I rode during the day in Row 6 (I think?) and at night in Row 4, both times in the seat closest to the exit.

EDIT: I also wanted to say I noticed the new music playing over the speakers. Though it appears to be the same 10 or so songs, I liked the inclusion of BTS's "Dynamite" and that one weird sea shanty song that apparently was popular on TikTok (the song is by Wellerman)? Other notable tracks include "Dance Monkey" (played right before said sea shanty tune), "Levitating" by Dua Lipa, "The Man" by Taylor Swift and "Blinding Lights" by The Weeknd.

It was good to meet you and ride Orion with you.

• Like 2

Safety Protocol Update:

• A face covering for each guest. All guests age 10 and older who are not fully vaccinated are required to wear face coverings while indoors unless actively eating and drinking. Face coverings for guests who are not fully vaccinated are recommended but not required outdoors unless it is not possible to maintain 6’ of social distancing. Face coverings are recommended but not required indoors or outdoors for guests who are fully vaccinated if social distancing cannot be maintained. Face coverings should completely cover the nose and mouth, and not have exhalation valves or vents, which allows virus particles to escape. 

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/welcoming-you-back

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Safety Protocol Update:

• A face covering for each guest. All guests age 10 and older who are not fully vaccinated are required to wear face coverings while indoors unless actively eating and drinking. Face coverings for guests who are not fully vaccinated are recommended but not required outdoors unless it is not possible to maintain 6’ of social distancing. Face coverings are recommended but not required indoors or outdoors for guests who are fully vaccinated if social distancing cannot be maintained. Face coverings should completely cover the nose and mouth, and not have exhalation valves or vents, which allows virus particles to escape. 

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/welcoming-you-back

I’m sure anti-vaxxers will be honest and wear a mask indoors. Hopefully fully vaccinated employees don’t have to wear a mask sometime in the near future as I don’t see much of a reason they should. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

I’m sure anti-vaxxers will be honest and wear a mask indoors. Hopefully fully vaccinated employees don’t have to wear a mask sometime in the near future as I don’t see much of a reason they should. 

It’s open vaccine season. With the exception of the very small percentage of the population who can’t get the vaccine, if you choose to not get the vaccine, that’s kind of on you at this point. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

It’s open vaccine season. With the exception of the very small percentage of the population who can’t get the vaccine, if you choose to not get the vaccine, that’s kind of on you at this point. 

Right, but relying on the honor system is an absolute joke. The point I’m trying to make is in an ideal world the parks would have a system in place where the park can verify wether or not someone has the vaccine.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

Right, but relying on the honor system is an absolute joke. The point I’m trying to make is in an ideal world the parks would have a system in place where the park can verify wether or not someone has the vaccine.

Enchanted Forest tried this but customer feedback was so bad they delayed opening and nobody knows when now.

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

So no masks indoors for the two weekends before the mask mandates expires is what I am reading...

Shocked that Dewine hasn’t backpedaled on that since the CDC thing came out immediately after he announced his guidelines. 

23 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Shocked that Dewine hasn’t backpedaled on that since the CDC thing came out immediately after he announced his guidelines. 

I suspect he wanted to wait until after the Memorial Day Holiday, but based on my observations, masks have been non-existent in most places since his announcement as folks only read the headline and KI will be no exception this weekend indoors and this KI announcement implies without saying it that they will not be enforcing it the next two weeks...

40 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

This thoosie channel says Banshee is the worst invert of all time.

I watched the whole video. While Banshee definitely has a rattle, but it isn't really rough and I wouldn't place Afterburn or Raptor (my 2 other invert credits) above it. I seriously feel like our coasters get judged harder than other park's just because. Oh well, is what it is.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, coaster sally said:

This thoosie channel says Banshee is the worst invert of all time.

Actually, he says he enjoys the ride when he gets the smooth blue train and feels that it's the teal train that ruins the ride for him. Pretty much common knowledge that some of the trains, for whatever reason, deliver rough rides for some . Also, the fella sounds a bit on the skinny/frail side. Seems the heftier, sturdier built riders don't seem to complain about roughness

Most enthusiasts place Banshee as a top 3 invert pretty consistently. Airtime thrills has it at number 2 and has ridden every invert in North America, and is certainly one of the more intellectual and respected enthusiasts.

To say Banshee, an extremely intense invert which boasts a great, unique layout, seven well-thought-out inversions, the longest track length, best first drop and, to top it off, best color scheme and theming... to pass off such a coaster off as mid-tier or the worst of it's kind is like saying a Ferrari 488 is the worst sports car because it simply needs a new set of shocks. That's really reaching, and I mean REALLY REALLY reaching

15 minutes ago, 1176Frankie said:

Actually, he says he enjoys the ride when he gets the smooth blue train and feels that it's the teal train that ruins the ride for him. Pretty much common knowledge that some of the trains, for whatever reason, deliver rough rides for some . Also, the fella sounds a bit on the skinny/frail side. Seems the heftier, sturdier built riders don't seem to complain about roughness

Most enthusiasts place Banshee as a top 3 invert pretty consistently. Airtime thrills has it at number 2 and has ridden every invert in North America, and is certainly one of the more intellectual and respected enthusiasts.

To say Banshee, an extremely intense invert which boasts a great, unique layout, seven well-thought-out inversions, the longest track length, best first drop and, to top it off, best color scheme and theming... to pass off such a coaster off as mid-tier or the worst of it's kind is like saying a Ferrari 488 is the worst sports car because it simply needs a new set of shocks. That's really reaching, and I mean REALLY REALLY reaching

Airtime thrills is just another thoosie channel with some questionable opinions.

21 hours ago, 1176Frankie said:

Actually, he says he enjoys the ride when he gets the smooth blue train and feels that it's the teal train that ruins the ride for him.

I can attest to this. I get glossy smooth rides on Blue. Teal doesn't have rattle, more like a vibration that can jackhammer a bit at the bottle of elements. Purple seems to be somewhere in-between.

Honestly, it's not that crazy to dislike Banshee to me. I don't want to ride it half the time I'm at the park.  It just vibrates like crazy for me. And yet I rode SOB and can enjoy a rougher woodie like Voyage.
Something about being pinned in my seat makes every vibration noticeable maybe? Unfortunate because I love the layout and really enjoyed the ride a lot the first few years (minus my collar bone pain haha)

23 hours ago, 1176Frankie said:

I've ridden Banshee too many times to count, and I've always loved it.   I just had my first ride on Raptor last weekend and wow, was that intense.  It seemed much faster than Banshee to me.    It could have been that the ride was running really well that afternoon, but I was expecting Banshee Part 2 and got something way more intense.

• Like 1

Greetings!  A have a quick question for fellow park enthusiasts that I'd like addressed if possible.  So!..  I'm excited to be making a trip back to Kings Island after a few years spent away.  This entire time I've had only one thing on my mind...  Ice Cream!  Specifically, the Banshee Twist ice cream located near the ride.  Would anyone happen to know if the park still offers it?

(I am completely aware that it's merely a recolor of their Blue ice cream - but I'll be darned if the vanilla/blueberry twist didn't hit different lol)

3 hours ago, grsupercity said:

I did not mind the rattle on Banshee I just cant stand the vests. Put regular trains on it and I could picture it being near the top of my invert list. Sadly with the trains for me its at the bottom 

Oh what I would give to see a new restraint system on Banshee...