Kings Island 2021 Discussion

coaster sally

1 hour ago, Rallyomalley said:

I'm hoping someone here can confirm, but I was told that they aren't even really paying the $15/hour.  That it's $12/hour with a bunch of asterisks attached to it, that if you stay the whole season THEN you get a payment for the extra $3/hour based on your hours worked.

The minimum wage at Kings Island is $15 an hour. For some departments, if you work through the end of the season, your pay increases to $18 an hour for every hour your worked. So if you are an employee who works through the end of the season, you will get $3 added on to every hour you worked, so you will really be making $18 an hour.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bansheeback said:

This is some truth to this, but the minimum wage, without strings attached, in all departments is $15/hour. However, in security aquatics, and foods you can make $18/hour. Those in other departments are eligible for an additional $3/hour that is paid out in a lump sum if you stay until the season is over. This is to keep turnover low and retention rates high. One issue raised though is that hours are not what they used to be in past years, which can cancel out the increase in money being made by employees.

I've got to ask, are you a returning employee or new employee?  My source is a returning employee that was making in the mid $10/hr range.  They were bumped to $12 and told the remaining $3/hour (to take it to $15) was contigent on them meeting all the asterisked criteria.

5 hours ago, Rallyomalley said:

I've got to ask, are you a returning employee or new employee?  My source is a returning employee that was making in the mid $10/hr range.  They were bumped to $12 and told the remaining $3/hour (to take it to $15) was contigent on them meeting all the asterisked criteria.

I’ve talked to those who are first years and those who have worked for multiple. It appears to be the same across the board, unless there’s a department I’m missing. I’m 99% sure they’re mistaken though, as they park made it pretty clear that everyone would be making at least $15/hour with no strings attached.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rallyomalley said:

From my understanding, both new and returning employees have the same minimum wage of $15 with at least some positions having the opportunity to make even more if they work through certain points towards the end of the season.

2 hours ago, chad_1138 said:

The “do not use” stickers were removed from the tables in the Festhaus at some point during the afternoon today.  The benches for those tables have not returned, but hopefully soon!

The “do not use” stickers have also been removed from the tables at Coney BBQ. I also noticed the Auntie Anne’s in Rivertown open for like the first time since daily operations have started. It looked like new employees were being trained there. It was also nice to see the Graeter’s on International Street open. It certainly looks like Kings Island is finding new hires which is a very good sign. Today the park was absolutely dead, and most food places were open.

I would also like to commend Kings Island for staying open on days like today where the weather has been bad and crowds have been nonexistent. I know there has been one day where the park has closed early, but it is nice to see that the park has stayed open on every rainy day since.

Like many of you, I am also very devastated that 10:00 PM closings have been postponed. Remember, though, that Kings Island simply doesn’t have enough staff to stay open those extra hours. They are also doing just about everything they can to find more workers. I am very hopeful that with more workers being trained, late hours can return on June 25th and stay for the rest of the summer.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

There has been some discussion of music in the park recently.  Specifically, country music in CM and Oktoberfest being on repeat.

I did notice it yesterday.  I'd like to see this on repeat in those areas:

(42) "Weird Al" Yankovic - Polka Face (Official Video) - YouTube

(I am a huge Weird Al fan.

Fun-Zone would be a must.  And while we're at it get him back at Timberwolf!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, King Ding Dong said:

Think Guest Services will refund them the $10 Preferred Parking upcharge? :P

Probably better. That was actually the part of the story I found most shocking. It's so close to the entrance and so many people just meander across that lot and likely could/would see something. Bold.

• Like 2

The thing is people loitering around in an amusement park lot is not and has never been an uncommon sight. 

Checking Amazon reviews on The Club and other anti-theft devices right now. The whole catalytic converter thing is getting out of hand as well and not so easy to prevent.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

The thing is people loitering around in an amusement park lot is not and has never been an uncommon sight. 

Checking Amazon reviews on The Club and other anti-theft devices right now. The whole catalytic converter thing is getting out of hand as well and not so easy to prevent.  

Just leave your .38 under the drivers seat or in the glove box. Please and thank you. ;-)

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Think leaving my fob on my driver’s side front tire is still safe?

As long as you leave your address on it so they know where to return it, absolutely. LOL.

I've made one trip to the park thus far and I felt very safe. However, I've mentioned to people I know and work with that the park was trying to hire 900+ people at wages starting at $18/hour, and their jaw hits the floor. Many of them are unfamiliar with park---doesn't matter---shock. Maybe things really are crazy understaffed to the point that it's not quite right. I don't know. I really want to give the park the benefit of the doubt. However, it has me wondering.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

There has been some discussion of music in the park recently.  Specifically, country music in CM and Oktoberfest being on repeat.

I did notice it yesterday.  I'd like to see this on repeat in those areas:

(42) "Weird Al" Yankovic - Polka Face (Official Video) - YouTube

(I am a huge Weird Al fan.

Reminded me of this LOL

https://www.yarn.co/yarn-clip/f87dbf12-e759-4a27-9602-4eaf7f916e9f/gif

55 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

As long as you leave your address on it so they know where to return it, absolutely. LOL.

I've made one trip to the park thus far and I felt very safe. However, I've mentioned to people I know and work with that the park was trying to hire 900+ people at wages starting at $18/hour, and their jaw hits the floor. Many of them are unfamiliar with park---doesn't matter---shock. Maybe things really are crazy understaffed to the point that it's not quite right. I don't know. I really want to give the park the benefit of the doubt. However, it has me wondering.

I don’t think this kind of stuff can really be put on the park, as I said tons of people hanging out in the parking lot is completely normal and even if dozens of security guards were patrolling the lot it would be really hard to spot nefarious activity. A robust CCTV system would be nice but likely only useful for evidence after the fact.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

There's more to the story I'm sure. Someone likely left something valuable in plain site, considering there haven't been any other reports of cars being ransacked at KI. I'm also wondering why the person whose car was stolen left their keys in their friend's car. That's just asking for trouble. However, the idiots at KI are getting old and hopefully they'll be able to catch the idiots responsible.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Oldiesmann said:

There's more to the story I'm sure. Someone likely left something valuable in plain site, considering there haven't been any other reports of cars being ransacked at KI. I'm also wondering why the person whose car was stolen left their keys in their friend's car. That's just asking for trouble. However, the idiots at KI are getting old and hopefully they'll be able to catch the idiots responsible.

They probably thought they were safer locked in their friends car than getting lost on a roller coaster. Can't say I haven't seen my family do it.

3 hours ago, YOULLBEBACK said:

Anyone know if they still have those $5 "spin the wheel and get a front row pass to a coaster" thingies?  I recall seeing them around Action Zone a couple years back.  

Have not seen them at CP or KI this year.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

You do realize lockers are only one dollar an hour?

You do realize some people are cheap? Why not save yourself 10 bucks if you're meeting someone in the parking lot anyway? And you can't blame their logic with how rare this kind of occurance is at Kings Island. You don't need to convince me of anything as I keep my keys on me.

• Confused 1

On 6/11/2021 at 12:05 PM, YOULLBEBACK said:

Anyone know if they still have those $5 "spin the wheel and get a front row pass to a coaster" thingies?  I recall seeing them around Action Zone a couple years back.  

Yep. There was one my Diamondback today. I thought about playing, but I didn't.

Also, had a great day today; finally got to see all of the available shows and I think Busker Jam and Center Stage Live are my favorites. In addition to seeing the shows, I rode Orion twice (Row 2 and Row 9 (I think?), in the inside seat closet to the entrance and the outer seat closet to the entrance and my first ride was actually forceful in the inside seats!), Delirium (super relaxing- I closed my eyes for almost the whole ride), The Train, Mystic Timbers (got the tree, but the main projector wasn't working (main screen was obscured), so we only heard it and saw the side screen), WindSeeker (great view of Orion and Vortex's field), Zephyr, and Boo Blasters (got stuck in there towards the end; it's actually a decent dark ride IMO and I enjoy seeing the iPod still there after all these years). Though I did not ride Flight of Fear (ran out of time and the line was crazy most of the day), I did see some of the theming and saw a symbol in line that I had seen on the bottom of Adventure Express's station opening weekend. There were also allusions to other rides like The Beast, Son of Beast, Mystic and of course, Orion with their opening years along with a symbol and location marker. On a final note, the Rivertown Coke Freestyle was open(!) @King Ding Dong and I got a Vanilla Coke before riding the Train.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

Yep. There was one my Diamondback today. I thought about playing, but I didn't.Also, had a great day today; finally got to see all of the available shows and I think Busker Jam and Center Stage Live are my favorites. 

I think I talked to you for a brief moment at Busker Jam after the show, you asked me if they’re doing a meet and greet I think. Sorry I couldn’t talk, had some stuff I had to do with some other shows.

• Like 1