Countdown to Opening Day for the 2021 Season: May 15th 11:00 AM!

Kings Island is now open for 2021.

Kings Island: A Ride Through Time Reviews

As books start arriving from preorder, lets use this thread to put in our reviews and thoughts on Kings Island: A Ride Through Time.

Please use the <spoiler></spoiler> tag if you reveal something in the book that others may not know yet.

Here are 2 podcasts where we discuss the book with Evan Ponstingle.

Released Feb 22nd 2020 - https://kicentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Episode-8-A-Ride-Through-Time.mp3 

Released March 25th 2021 - https://kicentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Episode-14-A-Ride-Through-Time.mp3

To preorder this book, which is slated to be released on April 15th, and learn more about this book, you can do that here:  River Shore Creative here.

FB_IMG_1616722249468.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I just got my copy two days ago and already 100 pages in. I am loving it so far @KIghostguy It is very detailed and informative. It's like I was sitting in the room as you were doing these interviews.  

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

So, I just got my copy two days ago and already 100 pages in. I am loving it so far @KIghostguy It is very detailed and informative. It's like I was sitting in the room as you were doing these interviews.  

So glad you’re enjoying it! It’s the comments like these that really make writing a book worth it. :D

• Like 2

I just finished the book. Very well done and highly recommended to any fan of Kings Island and this forum. Also to anyone whose a fan of the industry in general, as the park has had more of an impact on the industry than I thought going into it.

Literally I was reading 50 to 60 pages a night since I got the book on Monday, I was hooked on the story of the park and I don’t really read for pleasure. That says something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hoeter said:

I just finished the book. Very well done and highly recommended to any fan of Kings Island and this forum. Also to anyone whose a fan of the industry in general, as the park has had more of an impact on the industry than I thought going into it.

Literally I was reading 50 to 60 pages a night since I got the book on Monday, I was hooked on the story of the park and I don’t really read for pleasure. That says something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your kind comments! It means a lot to me. I’m so glad you enjoyed your ride!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gordon Bombay said:

Only about 1/4 through so far after this weekend, but wow this book is great so far. 

Learning so many great things. 

Thank you! So glad you’re enjoying it so far!

Just finished reading it last night. It is fantastic -- very well-written and researched. There is so much about KI history I didn't know despite growing up in the area.

I just wish there were more (and larger) photos. I'd love to have a coffee table book with full color photos of all the KI attractions, past and present.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Lakota88 said:

Just finished reading it last night. It is fantastic -- very well-written and researched. There is so much about KI history I didn't know despite growing up in the area.

I just wish there were more (and larger) photos. I'd love to have a coffee table book with full color photos of all the KI attractions, past and present.

Thank you! I'm really glad you enjoyed the book. You can check out the photos that didn't make it into the book at: https://www.rivershorecreative.com/kingsislandphotos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I finished the book a few days ago, but have not had a chance to write a review until now. It has been repeated a lot so far, but this book is great. Since I have done tons of my own KI history research I thought I knew almost everything about the park's history, and thus a lot of the book was stuff I knew, but there was still a decent amount of stuff I did not know and even the stuff I did was fun to read about again. It was great reading from almost all the past GM's and managers and stuff and why they did what they did, learning about why certain rides were the way they are (wanna know why The Beast has so much straight track, for example? This book explains it!) and also some of the stuff that was proposed but never came to be, including rides that never were and the proposed fixes for Son of Beast after it closed in 2009 that were all rejected (IMO some really radical changes too). My favorite section of the book may well actually be the Mystic Timbers section- it went into so much detail about why the park added a GCI, and then all the theming changes before the coaster opened. Including the alternate shed ending that never was and was replaced by the snake (I won't spoil what it is you will have to read the dang book like I did):P.

10/10 would highly recommend. Oh, and a final note: I love the images the book opens and closes with.

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, McSalsa said:

I finished the book a few days ago, but have not had a chance to write a review until now. It has been repeated a lot so far, but this book is great. Since I have done tons of my own KI history research I thought I knew almost everything about the park's history, and thus a lot of the book was stuff I knew, but there was still a decent amount of stuff I did not know and even the stuff I did was fun to read about again. It was great reading from almost all the past GM's and managers and stuff and why they did what they did, learning about why certain rides were the way they are (wanna know why The Beast has so much straight track, for example? This book explains it!) and also some of the stuff that was proposed but never came to be, including rides that never were and the proposed fixes for Son of Beast after it closed in 2009 that were all rejected (IMO some really radical changes too). My favorite section of the book may well actually be the Mystic Timbers section- it went into so much detail about why the park added a GCI, and then all the theming changes before the coaster opened. Including the alternate shed ending that never was and was replaced by the snake (I won't spoil what it is you will have to read the dang book like I did):P.

10/10 would highly recommend. Oh, and a final note: I love the images the book opens and closes with.

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it! Hearing such positive thoughts really make my day.

• Like 2