Did the Flight of Fear story make sence

Cedar Fair Fanboy

• 8 months later...

Ok. Reedit of the original post because my information was bad. So I think that the only changes to the preshow based on all my research is the removal of Outer Limits material. Other people in my family say that under Cedar Fair the video was perhaps shortened during one season and didn't play for much of another season (the year they introduced funTV at KI). However everyone I think has come to the consensus that the current version is the original minus the Outer Limits material.  

• Like 1

Did not know the "Mr Christopher being electrocuted" part was not in the original preshow... I've always remembered that part and have thoroughly enjoyed FoF's pre-show. When was this part added?

*Do note that I did not ride the ride when it first opened nor when it had the original (over the shoulder) restraints as I was too young and too scared to ride*

Thanks for uploading! Someone should post the whole thing on YouTube. It's kinda hard to say what part of the video is the beginning and the end since it loops. I am still kinda curious as to what the story actually is because I agree that the pre show isn't super clear on the matter.... maybe it made more sense under Paramount before Cedar Fair had to remove all the movie titles and themes. Idk. Maybe someone else out there knows the official story....

I actually don't think the story has changed much since the beginning, and from what I recall, the man getting electrocuted has always been part of it. The story's always been the same: Some politician heads to a secret military base where they apparently have a UFO. Believing it to be a hoax, he invites the public in to see it for themselves (he believes it's just a hoax by a local amusement park, lol). He's pranked using an image from a sci-fi show, and then later gets electrocuted, at which point he sees other worlds. The major difference, if I remember correctly, is that the glimpses of other worlds were the same visually, but the narration included more of the original dialogue from the "Outer Limits" TV show. It also included the "we control the horizontal, we control the vertical" from that show. But over all, the story and the video hasn't been altered other than having those references cut. 

I'd really like to see them overhaul FOF's story and queue experience. Maybe link it in with the overarching Area 72 theme. I'd also love to see some sort of star projections in the spaghetti bowl or something similar. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, johnjniehaus said:

Thanks for uploading! Someone should post the whole thing on YouTube. It's kinda hard to say what part of the video is the beginning and the end since it loops. I am still kinda curious as to what the story actually is because I agree that the pre show isn't super clear on the matter.... maybe it made more sense under Paramount before Cedar Fair had to remove all the movie titles and themes. Idk. Maybe someone else out there knows the official story....

Cedar Fair didn't change it. Paramount's Outer Limits license only ran through 2001, since 2002 it's been exactly how it is now. The only edits were the removal of the Outer Limits voiceover lines. The end of that video is the end of the actual show, the start is where it cycles through static with a reboot screen and they say "power surge, took out the net!"

• Like 3

On 12/25/2021 at 12:03 AM, johnjniehaus said:

The old version of the movie made some amount of sense before they added additional footage. For example, when Mr. Christopher grabbed the thing and got electrocuted and sees space tunnels and CGI alien worlds....like yeah that wasn't in the original version and makes no sense. The old preshow was pretty short actually and got across the theme/story of the ride that a flying saucer has landed in hanger 51 and that the news reporter had let civilians into the top secret military base because he believes the whole thing is a hoax. Eventually, the Major and the Testing Crew play a trick on Mr. Christopher (news guy) with the security cameras. After scaring him, the camera signal is disrupted and cuts out and it resumes with everyone recovering from this shock and the movie loops and starts over with Mr. Christopher meeting the Major. I just basically described the original preshow. All that other confusing crap was added in later and I agree that the story is no longer clear and the movie is too long as you most likely can't see all of it before moving on in the line if they don't have any of those indoor ques open. So hopefully that helps.... I'll be interested in anyone's opinion in what the story is. 

I don't think that is correct. I think the video below is the original, which includes Mr Christopher getting electrocuted. Of course, any input or correction is welcome.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I don't think that is correct. I think the video below is the original, which includes Mr Christopher getting electrocuted. Of course, any input or correction is welcome.

Maybe it's true that the current format is the original and I don't remember it correctly. I agree with others it's been slightly altered with removal of Outer Limits lines and such. 

What I really want to know is who stars in the preshow? Like who are all the actors in it? Seeing as it was done during the paramount days if you know what I mean. I'm surprised you can't find anything online about it....

On 12/27/2021 at 9:26 AM, cdubbs727 said:

I'd really like to see them overhaul FOF's story and queue experience. Maybe link it in with the overarching Area 72 theme. I'd also love to see some sort of star projections in the spaghetti bowl or something similar. 

They actually had a “star’s projector” one year. I can’t remember what year but they had some type of laser right in front of the steps that looked like dots of light and they also did a similar effect in the launch tunnel.  I only remember these effects lasting one year and it was definitely before they replaced the lights in the spaghetti bowl with LEDs.

• Like 1