Kings Island 2021 Food News and Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

We will use this thread to discuss and review food and beverage for 2021!

Kings Island is rolling out new spicy chicken sandwich at Chicken Shack.

Last year at Chicken Shack, we added the Chicken Sandwich. It was so well received that this year we have set our sights on launching a Spicy Chicken Sandwich.

More details on the KIBlog.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2021/april/kings-island-rolling-out-new-spicy-chicken-sandwich-at-chicken-shack

image.png

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

Wonder how this will compare to Chick-Fil-A and  it is on the mealplan unlike Chick-Fil-A. Now if only they would get knockoff Chick-Fil-A sweet tea. Also did Nathan Gushulak replace Chef Major?

I believe they hired a second executive chef a little while back. Chef Major is still cooking up amazing pieces at KI. Here's a photo posted in a blog post a few days ago. He's in the background of the photo.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2021/april/food-and-beverage-team-drafting-sampling-new-recipes-to-wow-guests-in-2021

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Chef Nate has been at the park for as long as I can say I am an enthusiast (2014).  He was nice when I spoke with him at Coasterstock 2015.

Correct! Chef Nate has been at the park for a long time. He was actually the driving force behind the Reds Hall of Fame Grille menu. Once Chef Major was hired as the Chef de Cuisine a few years ago , Chef Nate became the Sous Chef. He’s a good dude (so is Chef Major) definitely say hi when you see him in the park. 

• Like 2

I am skeptically excited about this.

Firstly, their chicken sandwiches have almost always been a bit of a let down.

Secondly, I have long since destroyed my taste buds with spicy food and you need to start getting on the extreme end for me to even taste it, so I am curious if this thing will even register. 

I am not surprised at the addition however, with the "chicken sandwich wars" of Pre/Early Covid days, I expect just about anyone that has access to chicken and bread to have a spicy chicken sandwich on the menu at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

So long as they make the sandwich fresh (!) it ought to be great. I noticed that they were not making tater barrels fresh at MRBH last season, which really makes them not good. Fried potato products have a life, and it's quite short. All food is better made quickly, to order (not assembled from stuff fried 30 minutes ago).

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, OldieButGoodie said:

So long as they make the sandwich fresh (!) it ought to be great. I noticed that they were not making tater barrels fresh at MRBH last season, which really makes them not good. Fried potato products have a life, and it's quite short. All food is better made quickly, to order (not assembled from stuff fried 30 minutes ago).

I assume its frozen tots going in a fryer and if so are you saying they are holding the them too long under a heat lamp? I never really had a problem last year. Side note why can't I sub out tots for mac and cheese on the meal plan or at the very least pay the difference in price? Mac and cheese is better at Coney BBQ anyway and its on the meal plan there.

7 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

I assume its frozen tots going in a fryer and if so are you saying they are holding the them too long under a heat lamp? I never really had a problem last year. Side note why can't I sub out tots for mac and cheese on the meal plan or at the very least pay the difference in price? Mac and cheese is better at Coney BBQ anyway and its on the meal plan there.

Because they haven't it up that way at the Brew House.  (ba-da-ching).  Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;)

9 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

They won’t even let you add cheese to something on the meal plan. My guess is they believe that this inconvenience for the sake of simplification helps the lines move more quickly. To be fair, they’re probably right. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got out of chicken shack after waiting an hour....... They didn't have the spicy chicken sandwich but they did have wings which I didn't know they had.... They look really good :) I know they are having problems wjth taking cards and they are trying their best lol... Those poor teens seemed stressed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thatbandguy8807 said:

Just got out of chicken shack after waiting an hour....... They didn't have the spicy chicken sandwich but they did have wings which I didn't know they had.... They look really good :) I know they are having problems wjth taking cards and they are trying their best lol... Those poor teens seemed stressed.

My children tried the wings. I had one and we all agreed they were dry. The seasoning was good though.

• Like 1

I actually like the wings. They are smoked. The only thing is I wish they came with ranch though. I also wish they would bring back the hot sauce to the condiments table (they took it away from it in 2018 I believe or mid 2019 I don't remember). If you like dry rub wings, I recommend trying the ones at Outback Steakhouse. They are dry with seasoning.

• Like 1

Anyone know if they will be bringing back the special chefs plate like they did last year? We never made it to one but the pictures and blogs about the specials looked fantastic and seemed to have been a hit! 

because of the lines we went for value and did Panda Express today. Was really good as usual and they always load it up which is nice even for those paying full price.   

The food staff handled the crowd well though kudos to them for this very busy first day!

• Like 1

Didnt try any of new food but went to the old Reds Hall of Fame grill.  The burger we had was A plus.  I hope the park is able to figure out the staffing this season.  Those food stands seemed understaffed for sure.
They also had card reader problems for people paying with debit and credit cards the entire day which didn't help with the line. I personally don't think they were expecting the crowds they got today.

Tried the Dip of the Month at the Brewhouse. The first month is the Poppin’ Jalapeño Dip. 

424CEABE-B520-4FA9-96DE-3FFE19081A82.jpeg

The dip wasn’t very spicy, so don’t let that  turn you away. It was very creamy and thick. Everyone at the table loved it. Also, the fact that the park doesn’t sell their seasoning for the chips is almost a disservice. I’d like to try it on popcorn or chicken.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LuckyluvsKI said:

Anyone know if they will be bringing back the special chefs plate like they did last year? We never made it to one but the pictures and blogs about the specials looked fantastic and seemed to have been a hit! 

because of the lines we went for value and did Panda Express today. Was really good as usual and they always load it up which is nice even for those paying full price.   

The food staff handled the crowd well though kudos to them for this very busy first day!

I inquired about this and was told probably sometime in June.  It was very popular and probably 1/2 the time my wife and I went on a Saturday was just to try it.  No matter what it was, it was always top notch.

• Thanks 1

Had the Big Dog at the Brewhouse and a Shotgun Wedding IPA (fantastic).  Service and food was great.  Definitely the best day 1 experience I've had for food in any park.  Very impressed with the consistency from last year.  Well Done!

• Like 1

Park was dead today.
Food service was great!
Got pizza slices at fest haus LaRosa... no line, in and out quick.
Noted signage posted about “online pre ordering being available soon”.
Panda had no line.
Went over to coney bbq smoke house, also no line.
Sirloin looked similar to the tri tip...
pro was that it also included some vegetables (mini peppers & onions)
Cons, when I ordered it, it only included 4 slices of meat... each one was about 1.5” in diameter as its largest point. So like 4 “silver dollar” slices.
I ended up adding to switch to a pulled pork sandwich, as I didn’t think I’d be satisfied with such a small beef portion.
Interested to see what that portion actually is supposed to be, as the meal has potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first meal was at the French Corner--KI Smoked Ham meal.  I also got a berry crepe.  As has been mentioned, the portion size is small, but that could be a good thing...yesterday it was not, but it gave me the impetus to try the crepe, which was HUGE and very tasty.

My second meal was Coney BBQ.  I got the sirloin which was very good.  Kind of hard to trim off the fat with a paper plate, but that is the issue with getting table service quality food to go.  I was going to get the smoked sausage, but it did not look like it was cooked well.  I have been dissapointed with the pulled pork, so I did not get it--it kind of looked like the pork that was on the BBQ sandwiches in my elementary school--a uniform light orange color and almost ground beef appearance.  For the sirloin, I had 4 pieces of meat that were about the size of a dollar bill.  After trimming off the fat, it was still a good amount of food.  Today, I just had one meal because I saw the park was closing at 3. (I was at Jungle Jims at 1:30).  So I had Skyline which was good.  Still had time to ride Dback x2, Mystic and The Beast.  Not a bad haul for less than an hour!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

This is the sandwich from the French Corner. The portions are a little lite, but it was very good.  There are 3 options: ham and cheese, chicken salad, and Italian. This was the Italian. 
DBD17330-F4EA-4D9A-92C4-0078F257DA15.jpeg

I ordered the same croissant sandwich yesterday, but was disappointed. I'm glad your experience looks better than mine. Your post has inspired me to return to the French Corner again. Thank you.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NegativeGs said:

I ordered the same croissant sandwich yesterday, but was disappointed. I'm glad your experience looks better than mine. Your post has inspired me to return to the French Corner again. Thank you.

I’d like to think that Saturday wasn’t a true representation of the rest of the season. Glad you’re going to give it another chance.