Kings Island 2021 Food News and Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

8 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

This is a new option in the French Corner. It’s a “don’t call it a Pop Tart” hand tart. It was very good and I think the price was only about $2.50. It’s about 30% bigger than a typical Pop Tart. 
06864C57-AE71-4F01-B956-906450361D34.jpeg

Looks like the Lunch Box Tarts from Woody’s Lunchbox at Hollywood Studios!

I think Chef’s Plate has been a great addition, but ever since it debuted, I don’t know if I have ever seen Wishbone Grill open when it is not a Chef’s Plate day. If anyone has seen it open this year when Chef’s Plate is not going on, please let me know, but I wish Kings Island would open it up again.

• 2 weeks later...

New Taste offerings are posted!  Can't wait to try them this weekend.  Looks like Chef and the culinary team have out-done themselves yet again!

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2021/september/foodie-guide-taste-the-flavors-of-fall-at-tricks-and-treats-fall-fest-at-kings-island

Also looks like passholders get $10 off tasting cards when buying online.

With a pass and buying online it's 6-tastes for 44.99 and 9 tastes for 69.99.

Doing the math the 6-tastes comes to 7.50 each and the 9 comes to 7.78 each. 

So, buying the 9 is actually more expensive on a per-taste basis.  I wonder if it may have been better to do a 10 taste at 69.99 making the cost 7 each or having the 9 tastes for 64.99 making the cost 7.22 each (probably the more realistic option).  The only reason I bring this up is there is usually a discount for buying more.  Not being critical, just wondering.

Either way, I'm in for the 9!  Between this and the chef's plate on Saturday (A "plate" like no other!) I'm going to have to be taking some extra steps to keep the weight off this fall. :)

5 hours ago, robintodd said:

New Taste offerings are posted!  Can't wait to try them this weekend.  Looks like Chef and the culinary team have out-done themselves yet again!

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2021/september/foodie-guide-taste-the-flavors-of-fall-at-tricks-and-treats-fall-fest-at-kings-island

Also looks like passholders get $10 off tasting cards when buying online.

With a pass and buying online it's 6-tastes for 44.99 and 9 tastes for 69.99.

Doing the math the 6-tastes comes to 7.50 each and the 9 comes to 7.78 each. 

So, buying the 9 is actually more expensive on a per-taste basis.  I wonder if it may have been better to do a 10 taste at 69.99 making the cost 7 each or having the 9 tastes for 64.99 making the cost 7.22 each (probably the more realistic option).  The only reason I bring this up is there is usually a discount for buying more.  Not being critical, just wondering.

Either way, I'm in for the 9!  Between this and the chef's plate on Saturday (A "plate" like no other!) I'm going to have to be taking some extra steps to keep the weight off this fall. :)

“I’ll take, ‘things they didn’t think of’ for $100, Alex.” :D

But to be fair, I do feel a little better about the prices now that I’ve seen the pictures. They look delicious, but we knew they would be. The portions seem to be bordering closer to meals than they are just tastings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, chuck norris said:

I’m hopeful… but also realize that with the tasting options they might not do it (like they stopped during carnival )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last Chef's Plate I was talking to Don and Chef Major and Chef said through Haunt (I'm assuming weather permitting).

17 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

“I’ll take, ‘things they didn’t think of’ for $100, Alex.” :D

But to be fair, I do feel a little better about the prices now that I’ve seen the pictures. They look delicious, but we knew they would be. The portions seem to be bordering closer to meals than they are just tastings.

You would think they would look at it from a budgeting standpoint sometime along the line while taking in the consumer's standpoint.  I think with the $5 off online they are trying to cut down on the lines for the food.  During carnivale half of the wait was people purchasing lanyards.  Of course the other $5 off for pass holders increases the value of season passes.   

Being on the dining plan I notice that a meal that costs the GP 13.99 gets rung up for 9.95 (I'm guessing cost without park markup?).  Going off of this idea with each taste at 7.50 probably 2.50 of that is straight profit leaving the true "cost" 5.00 for each taste.  So that's the way I'll be judging the "value" of each one.  Would I pay $5 at a venue outside of the park for what I'm getting (knowing the other 2.50 is going toward park expenses (wages, other operations cost and, of course, profit).  Betting more often than not the answer will be yes.  By the same token, I look at the meals I eat in the park on my dining plan as if I would pay 10.00 for it when considering value, and that answer is most always yes.

Also we most definitely need a hard push next year to get KI the golden ticket for best food.  They have proved it for over 2 years now and I would love for the culinary team to get recognized.  KI Foodies UNITE :)

Last Chef's Plate I was talking to Don and Chef Major and Chef said through Haunt (I'm assuming weather permitting).

I was told the same… although they didn’t sound positive.
It’s Friday and they haven’t put out anything yet… so I’m not sure if I should plan to be there or not tomorrow.

2 hours ago, chuck norris said:

I was told the same… although they didn’t sound positive.
It’s Friday and they haven’t put out anything yet… so I’m not sure if I should plan to be there or not tomorrow.

Just posted.

As we roll out fall celebrations, for this Saturday’s (Sept. 25) Chef’s Plate, we are going to do it with a  BANG!

This Saturday’s theme is El Diablo with Smoked Devil’s Hoof (Smoked Shank with Spicy Ginger Glaze), From the Ashes Potatoes (Marbled Potatoes with Parsley Butter) and Country Green Beans (Simmered and Seasoned) on the menu.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2021/september/foodie-news-el-diablo-the-theme-for-saturdays-chefs-plate

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Interesting marketing concept. Reminding Dad that if he brings the family to the park on Sunday he will miss most of the games but hey, here is some foodie food to compensate.  

I noticed in chefs Twitter he makes reference to looking for a golden ticket for food.

While I LOVE the chef plate, it doesn’t have a mass appeal for most guests.

I really think if they allowed you to use a meal on a snack instead (ice cream, funnel cake, etc) that would be the kind of improvement that the masses would respond to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chuck norris said:

I noticed in chefs Twitter he makes reference to looking for a golden ticket for food.

While I LOVE the chef plate, it doesn’t have a mass appeal for most guests.

I really think if they allowed you to use a meal on a snack instead (ice cream, funnel cake, etc) that would be the kind of improvement that the masses would respond to.

And you have to do more than Chef plate offerings, and tasting events to get that as well.

Why does Dollywood and Knoebels get this award - they do not have chain places providing food around every corner.

When KI gets more offerings like the French Quarter and Brewhouse and Coney and Smokehouse BBQ and moves away from the Skyline and LaRosa's type offerings and more of the meals are the quality of the Chef Plate and tasting events and Brewhouse and French Quarter and BBQ, then we will see KI make a serious run at that category.

• Like 3

Okay can we take a second and talk about the brisket they have in the Coney BBQ now? It is honestly the best thing I have ever had there and I am REALLY impressed (coming from a grill master that's pretty good). I am really excited to see what offerings they have at Winterfest this year because if this summer has been a testament to their dedication to food quality, I can't wait for this winter! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, disco2000 said:

And you have to do more than Chef plate offerings, and tasting events to get that as well.

Why does Dollywood and Knoebels get this award - they do not have chain places providing food around every corner.

When KI gets more offerings like the French Quarter and Brewhouse and Coney and Smokehouse BBQ and moves away from the Skyline and LaRosa's type offerings and more of the meals are the quality of the Chef Plate and tasting events and Brewhouse and French Quarter and BBQ, then we will see KI make a serious run at that category.

But everyone keeps saying that the Golden Ticket Awards are bought and paid for by the highest bidder.  Are you implying that there is actually some legitimacy to them and quality (rides or food) actually matters?

13 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

But everyone keeps saying that the Golden Ticket Awards are bought and paid for by the highest bidder.  Are you implying that there is actually some legitimacy to them and quality (rides or food) actually matters?

Annnnnnnnnd this is why I always say I have trust issues in the theme park industry. I always tell people don't go off what some self proclaimed big shot says, go off of what you like/experience. There's no way that Haunt is the best halloween event after my last visit, but the food is seriously giving CP (Miss Keats) , Knotts (Knott's Chicken Dinner) , Dollywood (Aunt Granny's) heck even EPCOT (Everything besides the Mexican pavilion, I'd choose Chipotle over it tbh) some competition I never expected from the park. Heck, the Game day plate is the only reason why I'm going to the park today which says a lot about how I feel about their food game this year. 

• Like 2