Kings Island 2021 Food News and Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

The chilli from Tricks and Treats was amazing! My girlfriend and I were both exhausted on Sunday and liked of lethargic because we had family stuff all weekend and this was the perfect comfort food to share. Unfortunately they were out of the bread bowls it was supposed to come in. 
3B1383C4-19F0-4CFD-9AEE-37C5AE73116E.jpeg

• Like 2

AFAA1469-CE53-474C-AE63-D1470B7CCDA8.jpeg739F2E60-710F-4F24-A20A-A448BEAB8F4F.jpeg2D6753BE-2A0B-4542-82A3-8B24E2168933.jpeg

PB&C Churro (Hank’s), Loaded Potato Soup (French Corner), cinnamon bread grilled cheese (French Corner).

I want to preface this by saying all of the food I tried with Tricks & Treats was excellent. With that being said, I will not be purchasing a tasting card next year. When I purchased the card, they had dedicated lines just for this. Starting last week, you just had to wait in the normal lines. This included the limiters of the food not being available on Fridays and only until 10:00 on Saturdays. There were a few incidents where I didn’t get what was advertised too. The French Corner served me the chilli in the bowl because they were out of bread bowls. The churros at Hanks required you to wait in line for about a half hour and then wait for the churros, which took about another half hour as they were only cranking them out every 5 minutes. When I, and the people in front of me, got our food it lacked some of the drip sauces that were on other peoples’ churros. They claimed they were out of it.  Neither of which is that big of a deal, but when you spend $55 on a tasting card and it’s very difficult to redeem, and you don’t always get what’s advertised, it’s just a rip off. I have buyer’s remorse. Perhaps people that go during the day may have a better experience but if you prefer to go during the evening then don’t bother. 

• Like 1

I am sure you will buy one next year LOL.

With how busy the park is in October, it is kinda shocking that they don't set up a similar format to Grand Carnivale with food stations all around so that you aren't mixing the regular food lines with the limited run items just to spread things out, but I am sure staffing plays a role.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, disco2000 said:

I am sure you will buy one next year LOL.

With how busy the park is in October, it is kinda shocking that they don't set up a similar format to Grand Carnivale with food stations all around so that you aren't mixing the regular food lines with the limited run items just to spread things out, but I am sure staffing plays a role.

I mean, if they changed the way they did it then it would be worth it. I still enjoyed the carnivale one. I’d decently do that again. This was my first time doing tasting cards. It’s not something I NEED since I have the meal plan. Just something fun and different. If it’s going to be a chore to redeem then I’m not going to bother. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, silver2005 said:

@King Ding Dong must be at KI today, RT Freestyle is closed.

Unfortunately no.  As what happens nearly every year one or both of the kids is not sufficiently ahead in schoolwork to make it possible. I was really thinking about making the trip this weekend so maybe caused it. :P

How was today’s Game Day Grill?

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I am curious if anyone tried the Mac bowl yet?

I had it last night. Different than previous years- they are serving the macaroni without any cheese then you pick from 4 different cheeses which one you want. From memory- five alarm, brew master (beer), alfredo, and classic. I had it with Bacon jam and the brew master cheese- it was pretty tasty. Much better than CP. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeltaFlyer said:

I had it last night. Different than previous years- they are serving the macaroni without any cheese then you pick from 4 different cheeses which one you want. From memory- five alarm, brew master (beer), alfredo, and classic. I had it with Bacon jam and the brew master cheese- it was pretty tasty. Much better than CP. 

I plan to get it on my next trip over.

• 4 weeks later...

After a summer of fantastic quality and portion sizes at Coney BBQ, I had the worst meal ever at Coney BBQ on opening day of Winterfest (Nov 26) - the turkey breast portion was super small (reminded me of the wing portion size fiasco this summer until they fixed that), the Mac and cheese was ice cold and tasteless (no way did a chef taste it before serving), and then biscuit was so dry it fell apart in pieces.  I have not been back to Coney BBQ but have found the Mac and Cheese bar  to be fantastic and my place to eat during Winterfest.  Consistency is the key to winning food awards and sadly Coney BBQ is not on my list anymore during Winterfest this season.

a06257a9d9ab70b195fa36b7a10e80ff.jpg
856495b12fdaee16c1f63b9b47045c75.jpg

Bread bowls on the dining plan

I got there right after opening.

The photo of the Turkey pot pie bowl was the first one I was served. The bread was hard as a rock, literally I could not bite the lid. Fortunately I said something to the staff, and they apologized and immediately remade it with fresh bread. Final product (which I didn’t think to photograph) was great.
Net: if you get there close to opening on a day that was open the night before, (Ie next week Monday-Friday)… be sure to check that you’re not served day old; pre cut bowls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

7 hours ago, super7 said:

I don’t know how the “brownies” at the Sweet Spot could be any worse.   They have a plastic taste and the texture of dried out fudge.   Anyone can make a  brownie from a box that’s  100 times better than this monstrosity. 

You seem to have many bad experiences at KI.  I tend to avoid the Sweet Spot because I don't need the carbs.  I hope your next  visit is trouble free!

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 10:20 AM, BeeastFarmer said:

You seem to have many bad experiences at KI.  I tend to avoid the Sweet Spot because I don't need the carbs.  I hope your next  visit is trouble free!

You are right.  I should avoid most of the food there for a better experience.   I just don’t get it how simple food can be made so poorly.   

1835275c83cb086c61bb8170052161eb.jpg
Finally made it to chicken shack for winterfest. Very good. Got the smoked wings, which included fries and toast (during the season the meal didn’t include the toast unless you got salad). Yes, I ate some toast prior to photo ;)

Special honey mint garlic sauce, which tasted mostly like honey… didn’t taste mint nor garlic, but the honey glaze was tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3