Gerstlauer to build one-of-a-kind, record-breaking roller coaster at Glenwood Caverns; Opens May 2022

Which park do you think is building this?

http://amusementtoday.com/2021/04/gerstlauer-to-build-one-of-a-kind-record-breaking-roller-coaster-in-the-united-states/

STEVENSVILLE, Md. — Gerstlauer Amusement Rides, GmbH, a proud partner of Ride Entertainment, has signed an agreement to manufacture a new, record-breaking roller coaster for a yet-to-be named client in the United States. The attraction, which is scheduled to open in May of 2022 will be formally announced within the next few months.

“Working with Gerstlauer for over 25 years, I am always astounded by their creativity and ability to innovate no matter what the project is,” said Ed Hiller, CEO of Ride Entertainment. “It is no different with the custom layout and challenging location for this coaster, which is sure to become a showcase attraction known around the world.”

Ride Entertainment’s world-renown installations team will also be installing this record- breaking roller coaster for the customer.

“This will certainly be one of the most formidable installations we have faced,” added Hiller. “As this coaster will showcase the incredible talents of Gerstlauer, we believe the same will hold true for the installation and our installation team, which is considered the best in the industry.”

• Like 3

Hmm- if I had to guess, I would say...Cedar Point. They were rumored to get a new coaster in 2021, but it was supposedly delayed due to COVID, and this thing is supposed to be big and break records- Cedar Point loves that stuff. HangTime at Knott's Berry Farm was apparently very well received in 2018, so it is possible that Cedar Fair now wants a even bigger and badder version for their flagship park. Sorta repeating what happened with Xcelerator and Top Thrill Dragster, in a way. As for what record I expect to be broken: # of inversions, most likely. We are probably looking at a ride with 14+.

As for where in the park I'd see this, survey markers were seen around the Antique Cars in Frontier Town in 2020. Hence the "space" challenge that was mentioned by Gerstlauer. Though if this new ride is in Frontier Town, that really isn't gonna help draw the crowds away from Maverick and Steel Vengeance since the new ride will be in the same section as them, so now there will be 3 rides with crazy long lines (unless the Gerstlauer ends up having great capacity but even then it probably will have long lines) in Frontier Town. Plus, a big new ride at Cedar Point? That would get Gerstlauer noticed.

If not Cedar Fair, I could see Sea World possibly adding this to one of their parks since they are on a coaster-buying spree. Or maybe Herschend for Dollywood or Silver Dollar City. I don't see Six Flags buying such a large and expensive coaster, same goes for most of the small non chain parks as well. Very slim chance this goes to KI- I don't see us getting anything until 2023 at earliest. If this does end up going to KI this soon somehow, then it is likely gonna be The Vortex replacement- though opening a new coaster on a anniversary year seems unlikely, especially since CP didn't do that for their 150th.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Bansheelover said:

I think the new coaster is down to Kings Island or Michigan's Adventure. My money is on Michigan.:rolleyes:

Keep dreaming man, last huge addition Michigan’s Adventure got was an slc and their last addition was a kids section retheme. Not trying to sound rude or anything, but the only way that MI will get a new coaster is if they go the family run park route.

• Like 2

I agree that it is probably Cedar Point.  An inversion breaking (even if just North America) makes sense there.  An outside chance for California's Great America since they never got their hyper.  Carowinds and Wonderland just got coasters in 19, we got Orion last year, and Dominion is getting the FreeFly.  WOF wouldn't make sense to put a record breaker in and Dorney had those plans for the Gravity Group woodie.

The Dollywood clearing area is fairly level where the presumed next coaster would be and I think you'll see Dollywood go with something high capacity and relatively family friendly after the problems they have had with Lightning Rod.  I do think Dollywood will add a coaster next year but I think it will either be a B&M hyper or giga or a Mack spinner like Time Traveler.

• Like 2

Here's my first concept of a Gerstlauer infinity for Cedar Point. This would be located in Frontiertown and would take up a combined land of the antique cars and (even though unlikely to be removed) Cedar Creek Mine Ride. This coaster would feature 15 inversions and would feature a launch at the beginning of the ride and a vertical lift hill inside a tall mineshaft tower and would dive out of it under the pathway into the CCMR area.

Cedar Point gerstlauer.png

• Like 3

I would like to point out one thing. Most people, and I mean like 95% of people, don't go to Cedar Point for the flat rides or the shows. They go for the coasters. Even the general public knows that Cedar Point is roller coaster paradise and that if you go, you better be going for the coasters. 

Plus, CP is known to open only record breaking attractions. Name one coaster at CP that isn't a family coaster that didn't break a record when it opened. It just makes perfect sense for CP to get this. If they are going to get a record breaker, they are either going for steepest or most inversions. I could see both to be honest.

• Like 4

Just now, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

Plus, CP is known to open only record breaking attractions. Name one coaster at CP that isn't a family coaster that didn't break a record when it opened. It just makes perfect sense for CP to get this. If they are going to get a record breaker, they are either going for steepest or most inversions. I could see both to be honest.

Maverick didn't break any records back in 2007 when it opened. 

• Like 2

• DiamondbackFan changed the title to Gerstlauer to build one-of-a-kind, record-breaking roller coaster at Glenwood Caverns; Opens May 2022