Gerstlauer to build one-of-a-kind, record-breaking roller coaster at Glenwood Caverns; Opens May 2022

13 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

There is no evidence Orion is not a filler coaster:D.  The facts are that we got ride contract that was destined for another park, the skipped letter on the track proves it and we had a beloved coaster get scrapped.  

Would it still be a filler coaster to you if it was an Intamin? :unsure:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

Example:  Wicked Twister was a filler coaster for Top Thrill Dragster.

Go further, define 'filler coaster'.  A random 'example' isn't enough.  Both of those were expensive record breaking coasters.  

And why is Orion one and why should anyone care?

I legitimately don't know what that even means.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coaster sally said:

There is no evidence Orion is not a filler coaster:D.  The facts are that we got ride contract that was destined for another park, the skipped letter on the track proves it and we had a beloved coaster get scrapped.  

Is Orion a “filler coaster?” Was Vortex scrapped for a new ride? I would suggest checking out Kings Island: A Ride Through Time. You’ll find your answers in there.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

In Coaster Sally's defense, Orion did "fill" a gap of a type of coaster we did not have before with it being a 300ft drop Giga.

This is true. In this case, Diamondback, Banshee, and Mystic Timbers are also filler coasters as they filled gaps in Kings Island’s lineup.

• Like 2

On 4/29/2021 at 4:08 PM, KIBeast said:

I'm thinking it broke the record for steepest drop when it debuted, although I could be wrong. Plus the horseshoe roll is a one of a kind element. Not sure if you count that as a record.

It didn't break the record for steepest drop, that goes to the classic Gerstlauer Eurofighters like Speed: No Limits at Oakwood and Vild-Svinet at BonBon-Land. However, it was supposed to break the record for fastest inversion but that heartline roll got removed for too many G's that caused stress on the trains and the riders.

• Like 1

The Silver Dollar City announcement yesterday was about the Harlem Globetrotters coming this summer.

The area where they are doing the clearing is more of a kid friendly area of the park.  I could see them doing something like Firechaser Express there (also a Gerstlauer) but I couldn't see any intense records unless it was something to do with launches on a family coaster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coaster sally said:

So CF is investing 100 million into their parks for this year's improvements and rides for next year.  The GG shuttle and free spin will be cheap allowing them to invest in CP's Gerstlauer.

Don't forget, that included hotel properties. So now you have cut that 100 mil down a bit for coasters. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coaster sally said:

under 12 million for the gg and 4d and another 20 mm for the Gerstlauer leaves nearly 70mm.

100 Million divided by 3.

https://blooloop.com/theme-park/news/cedar-fair-theme-park-investments/?source=newsletter

In addition to the new rides and attractions that were due to launch in 2020, Cedar Fair plans “to invest approximately $100 million in our parks during the year”, said Zimmerman.

He explained that around a third will go towards the completion “of select unfinished 2020 projects, including renovations at some of our resort properties”.

Another third is “focused on essential compliance and infrastructure requirements for the current season”, while the final third is being “directed at the start of projects planned for the 2022 season”.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend watching this video posted by CoastersRUs. I've been on the Cedar Point train since the article came out, but after watching this video a few times and thinking about it especially with the announcement today, I no longer think it's going to Cedar Point. Instead, I'm starting to think it is going to an independent park. 

On 5/4/2021 at 2:30 PM, grsupercity said:

My vote is either Cedar Point or Icon Park. I think the bigger news is Cedar Point teasing Wicked Twisters demise. That coaster would be a great fit at WOF, MIA, or CGA. Its to good of a ride to scrap

Where did you see this? I knew it was on the chopping block for a while, and (if true), I'm glad I got my last rides on it in 2019. I really enjoyed that ride! :D Also, if the Gravity Group coaster is still going to Dorney (and Wicked Twister is indeed closing), that means we'll be losing 2 Inverted Impulse Coasters at once!  :(

Also, side-note, there are some really cool pictures of the ride on RCDB.

EDIT: Was going to add that Valleyfair's would be the last of it's kind (aside from Flash/V2 at Discovery Kingdom, but I totally forgot that Vertical Velocity existed at Six Flags Great America.

EDIT2: Just saw the tweets you were referencing. Maybe Tony's just having fun - or maybe it is closing. Guess we'll never know until it happens...

• 2 months later...
  • DiamondbackFan changed the title to Gerstlauer to build one-of-a-kind, record-breaking roller coaster at Glenwood Caverns; Opens May 2022