2021 Regular Season Entertainment

BoddaH1994

Seems like a lot of pivots due to capacity restrictions, but it sure seems like what they are doing is innovative. 

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/entertainment

The most interesting thing seems like it is based off of the Storm Area 51 craze, which essentially turned into a party. I’m particularly looking forward to this. 
ki-area72party-banner.jpg

• Like 5

I'm generally supportive of what KI does.  I know they have done a wonderful job with the blows they have been dealt, and I don't like to make decisions about things before I see and experience them.  That being said, I think the concept art looks terrible.  I don't like the industrial light/sound rafters--it looks Paramounty.  I'll reserve judgement on the performance itself until I see it, but it looks like a small space for a large event.

The Rivertown and PS shows excite me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I'm generally supportive of what KI does.  I know they have done a wonderful job with the blows they have been dealt, and I don't like to make decisions about things before I see and experience them.  That being said, I think the concept art looks terrible.  I don't like the industrial light/sound rafters--it looks Paramounty.  I'll reserve judgement on the performance itself until I see it, but it looks like a small space for a large event.

I disagree. I think it goes along well with the space/sci fi theming of the area. I think honestly in the future they should keep that up as decorations tbh especially that screen on FOF

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I'll reserve judgement on the performance itself until I see it, but it looks like a small space for a large event.

I think the scale is way off. That area is much bigger than it looks in the concept art. 

I agree with @Hawaiian Coasters 325, it will fit that area really nicely with the theming in that area.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ldhudsonjr said:

Hey all. Missed ya! I just found out about this through the tweet and I think it's a super cool idea. I was surprised to see that it's going all season long though.

Welcome back, I think this is going to be a big hit all season.

15 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

The screen in front of Flight of Fear was fun for one night when they announced Orion, but it will look absolutely terrible now that it’s there for a whole season.

I disagree. I honestly think having a screen there would make it look nice as long as they add some type of themed video that goes along with the theme and not fun TV's during the day.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

7 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I disagree. I honestly think having a screen there would make it look nice as long as they add some type of themed video that goes along with the theme and not fun TV's during the day.

I mostly agree with you. My only problem with this is they did a lot of really nice theming work on area 72 that this is going to distract from a bit, and I think that's kind of shame considering a lot of people who would normally go to Kings Island probably didn't go last year when it was new. That being said though, I'm not sure why this is so upsetting to some here. It's really not that big of a deal and I'd be surprised if its not just a temporary event for this season.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, ldhudsonjr said:

I mostly agree with you. My only problem with this is they did a lot of really nice theming work on area 72 that this is going to distract from a bit, and I think that's kind of shame considering a lot of people who would normally go to Kings Island probably didn't go last year when it was new. That being said though, I'm not sure why this is so upsetting to some here. It's really not that big of a deal and I'd be surprised if its not just a temporary event for this season.

I look at this as more of an upgrade to the theming, but that is my opinion. I 100% agree with it probably not just being this season. If it is successful like Grand Carnivale was, I could see it making a return for 2022 and beyond.

• Like 1

I'm excited about the Area 72 dance party; looks like we're going to have our own version of Luminosity!!! :D

Also, I'm curious what stage "Busker Jam" will be performing at in Rivertown? The only stage I can think of is the LaRosas's stage. And, Brew Beats pretty sounds cool!

Finally, I wonder if Stick(y) Paint will be replacing the Petting Farm?

Definitely will be checking most of these shows out at some point during the season

24 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

I'm excited about the Area 72 dance party; looks like we're going to have our own version of Luminosity!!! :D

Also, I'm curious what stage "Busker Jam" will be performing at in Rivertown? The only stage I can think of is the LaRosas's stage. And, Brew Beats pretty sounds cool!

Finally, I wonder if Stick(y) Paint will be replacing the Petting Farm?

Definitely will be checking most of these shows out at some point during the season

Just imagine if you had these mini shows and then they backfilled the bigger shows. It would be like Dollywood. :rolleyes:

I also have a little trouble thinking that the actual outcome of Area 72 will look much like the concept art, but I suppose time will tell. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Just imagine if you had these mini shows and then they backfilled the bigger shows. It would be like Dollywood. :rolleyes:

I'm confused @BoddaH1994; what do you mean by backfilling? Is that when some shows are pre-shows to the actual show (like how The Mistletones "opened" for the Charlie Brown Christmas Spectacular when it was moved indoors during the 2017 Winterfest)?

I have always wanted a Live DJ at KI since the early 2000s. When Luminosity opened at Cedar Point I was convinced. That being said the location of Luminosity was out of place in terms of crowd congestion. You had to get their early for a spot and even then the crowds left no room for truly enjoying the show. Now that a version of this is coming to KI I am super happy, but it comes at a cost as I have quite a few concerns, namely on its location. The space in Area 72 is already limited and a dead end location. Having to walk past that to get to Orion will be a tad over congested. If you have been to CP during the DJ at the Luminosity stage you will know how crowded it can be. I'm also a bit bummed that this will result in the amazing IMA score not playing during the event.

Action Zone feels like the far better location for this. Open space, much more vibrant, better fit for a DJ and disco lights. I see the concept image and just feel, This is too much. Especially after the great work the themeing dept did for the Area 72 last year. 

Again I'm all for the DJ, just not in this part of the park.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MDMC01 said:

I'm confused @BoddaH1994; what do you mean by backfilling? Is that when some shows are pre-shows to the actual show (like how The Mistletones "opened" for the Charlie Brown Christmas Spectacular when it was moved indoors during the 2017 Winterfest)?

I simply mean adding shows back where they normally would be: KIT, Showplace, enchanted theater, etc.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I think the scale is way off. That area is much bigger than it looks in the concept art. 

I agree with @Hawaiian Coasters 325, it will fit that area really nicely with the theming in that area.

I hope I like it when I see it.  It just seems invasive into this area... @Captain Nemo summed it up really well.

• Like 1

Remember this happens from 9-10 pm. They'll likely have the IMASCORE soundtrack playing from park open until the event begins at 9. Makes me wonder if they'll have something playing on the screen during the days. I hope it has something to do with the Orion and Area 72 theme and they do NOT just slap the FUNTV on there! With that being said, I can see how some have concerns over this and I can agree that it seems kinda strange they are going to try to cram this in this tight area especially during a time where there is still social distancing going on. However, this area does provide an amazing view of the fireworks so I can see why the park chose to do this here since it would also fit the sci-fi theming and how Orion is still the hot new thing.

I hope I'm wrong.  I really do.  But the hardware for this entertainment to me, is akin to putting a hardwood basketball court over the infield at Great American Ballpark.  I like baseball and basketball, but they don't fit together.  The metal trusses for lighting and sound tend to be invasive.  Unless it is done very well, it will detract from the Area 72 theme that they worked so hard to create.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I hope I'm wrong.  I really do.  But the hardware for this entertainment to me, is akin to putting a hardwood basketball court over the infield at Great American Ballpark.  I like baseball and basketball, but they don't fit together.  The metal trusses for lighting and sound tend to be invasive.  Unless it is done very well, it will detract from the Area 72 theme that they worked so hard to create.  

I just feel the whole thing is disrespectful to the teams that put all that themeing together to create an immersive experience of an active military base for it a year later to be expanded with disco balls, rave lighting, truss, and white screens. In addition I see 2021 as a 'honorary' first season for Orion as many people did not get to experience KI due to Covid. 

I really hope this works, who knows the show may be awesome but may fall into the same trap as Luminosity. Great show and theatrics, poor location.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Remember this happens from 9-10 pm. They'll likely have the IMASCORE soundtrack playing from park open until the event begins at 9. Makes me wonder if they'll have something playing on the screen during the days. I hope it has something to do with the Orion and Area 72 theme and they do NOT just slap the FUNTV on there! With that being said, I can see how some have concerns over this and I can agree that it seems kinda strange they are going to try to cram this in this tight area especially during a time where there is still social distancing going on. However, this area does provide an amazing view of the fireworks so I can see why the park chose to do this here since it would also fit the sci-fi theming and how Orion is still the hot new thing.

It will probably be a blank screen during the day.

1 hour ago, coaster sally said:

Am I the only one that did not care for grand carnival?

I loved it, my wife loved it, my grandkids loved it..  The response was so big and positive that Cedar Fair is doing it at more parks this year (including a 150 year celebration at Cedar Point).  It reminded them of something at a Disney park.  By far I believe the best 'parade' they've ever done at KI.  The music was catchy, the floats were elaborate and the chance for guests to participate in it was a nice bonus.  Everytime I saw it both sides of the route were packed.  

That being said I'm sure there are other people who didn't care for it. ;) 

1 hour ago, coaster sally said:

Am I the only one that did not care for grand carnival?

I LOVED the parade and the food, but I hated the tacky decorations barfed all over the new International Street with a burning passion. I hope that this year they at least stay away from replacing the international flags on the buildings with generic Carnivale flags.

• Like 1