Timberwolf upgrade concept

23 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Of course they did. If a plumber shows up at a park they will write a 6 page blog about how's it's for a new water coaster.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

The point of enthusiast "media" sites is to get clicks and drive traffic.  Ever notice how so many things are BREAKING NEWS of titles use the word "We" and alot of capital letters?  Just like traditional media, outlandish headlines sell..

I'm still wondering if there is going to be a discussion of the "land clearing" around The Beast queue or the Adventure Express queue.

• Confused 1

On 5/10/2021 at 10:18 AM, Winterfestguy said:

Several years ago at Coasterstock it was suggested by several to invite a different local band each week to come perform at Timberwolf (CP is already doing something similar as part of their 150 celebration).  This would make good use of the facility, especially during a pandemic using outside for another entertainment option.   Maybe KI is cleaning things up in preparation for such idea.

I love this concept. It would be a great way for some of these bands to get some recognition and be some fun entertainment for the guests.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I'm still wondering if there is going to be a discussion of the "land clearing" around The Beast queue or the Adventure Express queue.

I mean...probably lol.

I end up calling out that site a lot on Facebook but it seems like people really buy into them. Aren't they members here?

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, windshawne said:

Hate to say it-but it has outlived its usefulness. 

That very well me true.  However the world is changing and it is certainly possible the music industry will continue to evolve especially during and after this pandemic.  Live performances may very well shift back to promotional ventures as they used to be versus the profit centers they have become in the past 20 years.  Meanwhile what is the point in demolishing a what is essentially a bunch of concrete if the park doesn’t need the space?  Concrete is relatively low maintenance.  

2 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

That very well me true.  However the world is changing and it is certainly possible the music industry will continue to evolve especially during and after this pandemic.  Live performances may very well shift back to promotional ventures as they used to be versus the profit centers they have become in the past 20 years.  Meanwhile what is the point in demolishing a what is essentially a bunch of concrete if the park doesn’t need the space?  Concrete is relatively low maintenance.  

There’s no use for the structure. The organizers of Spirit Song are not holding an event this year, and have downsized their staff by a significant margin. With it being unused, there is no need to keep it, especially when the park can work towards future projects. 

9 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

There’s no use for the structure. The organizers of Spirit Song are not holding an event this year, and have downsized their staff by a significant margin. With it being unused, there is no need to keep it, especially when the park can work towards future projects. 

Sure, they could demo it but unless they have plans to use the space removing it is an expense with no ROI.  Are there any ongoing expenses by leaving it sit SBNO?  You expecting some big capital projects in the park in the next couple of seasons?  I have my doubts about that.  

Once infrastructure is gone, its gone...

Timberwolf exists as a venue that can be used if and when the time comes that KI wants to have a concert or some type of event. If they tear down Timberwolf, they'll have no opportunity to host large concerts or events of similar size in the future. Its the similar equivalent of a sports team leaving a city- its rare that they come back. Look at Oakland. Much like the Haunt buildings that sit vacant for most of the year, they still serve a purpose. 

I think it would be unwise to tear it down for something like a coaster; especially when @Hawaiian Coasters 325 created a concept that works

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

Once infrastructure is gone, its gone...

Timberwolf exists as a venue that can be used if and when the time comes that KI wants to have a concert or some type of event. If they tear down Timberwolf, they'll have no opportunity to host large concerts or events of similar size in the future. Its the similar equivalent of a sports team leaving a city- its rare that they come back. Look at Oakland. Much like the Haunt buildings that sit vacant for most of the year, they still serve a purpose. 

I think it would be unwise to tear it down for something like a coaster; especially when @Hawaiian Coasters 325 created a concept that works

The Timberwolf is an remnant from another time. Nobody will book there, and it wastes valuable space. It would be smart for the park to demolish it and expand the park.

We know that the park is looking at that area of land as the waterline project, if it was even for that spot of land, hasn’t been approved by the city, so there would be no $$ available for surveying.

56 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

The Timberwolf is an remnant from another time. Nobody will book there, and it wastes valuable space. It would be smart for the park to demolish it and expand the park.

Valuable space? Not every square inch of the park needs to be developed or expanded upon. Down the road, the park might get a better ROI by replacing it with something like a coaster or expansion but for the moment its fine. 

Personally, I don't think its wise to develop a lot in the front. I remember when Paramount did this and Rivertown was basically a ghost town.

As others have said, I don't believe Timberwolf is taking up "Valuable Space". According to public records from the auditor, KI is only using about 50% of the land they own. I also wouldn't be a fan of them putting any sort of ride in that space considering its proximity to the parking lot. (See Scream at Magic Mountain)

6 hours ago, Bansheeback said:

As others have said, I don't believe Timberwolf is taking up "Valuable Space". According to public records from the auditor, KI is only using about 50% of the land they own. I also wouldn't be a fan of them putting any sort of ride in that space considering its proximity to the parking lot. (See Scream at Magic Mountain)

Well, it’s cheaper fo tear down a structure and build on top of it, then it is to tear down a forest and build on top of it.

And not 100% of the land they own can be developed.  Some of it is too steep, riparian zones, setbacks, cost prohibitive at the moment to gain access to some of these spots, etc.

When was the last attraction added that needed significant additional infrastructure added to get guests to the area?  The station for Orion and orientation was placed where it was as the pathways and infrastructure was already in place and was extended/added on to.  Same with Banshee, Mystic Timbers, etc.

Almost any new ride placed in the undeveloped areas would in all likelihood need new access created that would traverse under an existing ride, such as the access paths created for Flight of Fear and Action Theater.  I am sure we could probably find a place to squeeze one in without that needed, but more than likely that would need to occur.

Doesn't mean they will not expand into some of the wooded areas at some point, but building where infrastructure already exists is going to be more economical.  As rides/attractions reach their end of service life or the ROI is of diminishing returns, additions will occur in those areas first.  I think an improvement outside of the "developed area" of the park would coincide with a new themed area with multiple attractions added to it.  Or they go with the X-Base concept LOL and it takes how many years to get it to where it is today with a restroom and food place!

image.png

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

A little off topic, but it does sound like SpiritSong is planning to return. I went on their website today, while you can't access anything it has this message on it "Spiritsong will be back. We'll let you know as soon as spiritsong comes back. Thank you for your understanding." The reason I take this as good news is because I went on that same website a few weeks ago and it had the cancellation statement that was released in 2020 with a different background picture and it never changed until recently. I know this doesn't mean much, but it does sound like the organizers of Spirit Song is hoping to move forward with their event. We'll see though.

Link to site: https://spiritsongfest.com/

Screenshot of message: 

image.png

EDIT: also, for those who don't know, SpiritSong is actually organized by an outside festival promoter called Premier Festivals along with the ones at Carowinds, Cedar Point, Kings Dominion, and Dollywood. So it's not the park who mainly organizes these events, they just host them.

• Like 1

A little off topic, but it does sound like SpiritSong is planning to return. I went on their website today, while you can't access anything it has this message on it "Spiritsong will be back. We'll let you know as soon as spiritsong comes back. Thank you for your understanding." The reason I take this as good news is because I went on that same website a few weeks ago and it had the cancellation statement that was released in 2020 with a different background picture and it never changed until recently. I know this doesn't mean much, but it does sound like the organizers of Spirit Song is hoping to move forward with their event. We'll see though.
Link to site: https://spiritsongfest.com/
Screenshot of message: 
image.thumb.png.a73b1d2255127446526650312b4a4b8f.png
EDIT: also, for those who don't know, SpiritSong is actually organized by an outside festival promoter called Premier Festivals along with the ones at Carowinds, Cedar Point, Kings Dominion, and Dollywood. So it's not the park who mainly organizes these events, they just host them.

Well, it won’t be in Timberwolf if it does come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Heres a new concept of mine. This one involves basically splitting Timberwolf in half. Based on observation of this past year's concerts, the concerts weren't even half sold and it's pretty obvious Timberwolf won't bring in the big acts that Riverbend does so they don't really need the 10,000 seats. This idea will allow them to use some of the land for new additions/new coaster (I have here a B&M surf) in part of the land and in the other half where the stage is, install grass for festival style viewing and still have concerts (more like what the Busch Gardens parks are doing) where it is more up and coming/local acts and is free with park admission. 

image.png

• Like 3

I like this idea. There is quite a lot of space back there (mostly thinking about the midway that was used by Cornered this year) for the space only being used a handful of times this season. Perhaps they make enough on merch, food and beverages to justify its existence? In any case, I’ve enjoyed the concerts at Timberwolf, so this is a great compromise. :D