Construction Equipment Onsite at Kings Island

IndyGuy4KI

Definitely a telescoping crane from Piqua Steel Company. These cranes are typically used in construction and maintenance. Not usually demolition. At KI, I would say it was used for something like, lifting a derailed railroad car or a heavy component of an amusement ride. Using it to work on Delirium makes sense.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, NegativeGs said:

Definitely a telescoping crane from Piqua Steel Company. These cranes are typically used in construction and maintenance. Not usually demolition. At KI, I would say it was used for something like, lifting a derailed railroad car or a heavy component of an amusement ride. Using it to work on Delirium makes sense.

Deli had aircraft cable hanging from it. I think it was open on and off last weekend but it was closed this weekend. Hope they get the ‘ol frisbee working soon! 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Deli had aircraft cable hanging from it. I think it was open on and off last weekend but it was closed this weekend. Hope they get the ‘ol frisbee working soon! 

At least when I was there this past Saturday, I don’t think it ever opened.  The maintenance crew did do several test runs though.  Even saw them run it without the disk spinning.  It appeared to be working normally but obviously something was up or it would have opened. 

• Like 1

I’m thinking it is what they said it was. Delirium work, maybe the lift belt or boats in Congo falls, if Skyflyer needed work you’d definitely need a crane, or something with Invertigo at the top of the hills. I doubt we see anything this year and probably next year as well.

It will be sometime this summer before life resumes most normalcy in over a year. I’m not just talking about Ohio, I mean everywhere.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2021 at 5:13 PM, Oldschool75 said:

Right no new construction with it. But that does not eliminate it from relocating something like Extreme sky flyer to The Vortex spot. ;) I think that would be a smart move on the park. That would be cool to
Swing over the valley that Vortex stood and fly towards The Beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Area 72 would be a good location for it if they were to actually relocate it, perhaps between The Racer and FoF

12 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Seems like it always is down for extensive work. Maybe time for a replacement?

Hopefully not. I don't feel like it is all that old and we really need to increase our thrill flats category not decrease/ keep it level.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2021 at 6:44 PM, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

It may seem a bit early, but I could very easily see Congo Falls taking the plunge at some point this year.

Congo falls is safe right now. I heard they spent some money on it recently to keep it up to date. However, this is a dream thought, but I would love it If they moved it to The Vortex land. It just seems like it's in the middle of nowhere in Action Zone. Just a thought.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

They spent money on Vortex the year before that everyone said was a clue it wasn't going anywhere soon...I forget now if it was hydraulics or something else.

It got a new air compressor. Not sure about anything else.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2021 at 8:09 AM, FoF96" said:

At least when I was there this past Saturday, I don’t think it ever opened.  The maintenance crew did do several test runs though.  Even saw them run it without the disk spinning.  It appeared to be working normally but obviously something was up or it would have opened. 

That's good to hear that it was testing at some point (it would be interesting to see it move without the disk spinning)! :) Everytime I went by on Saturday, Delirium was closed and not operating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PKIDelirium said:

Oof, I wonder if it did something to the main gearbox like that extended downtime in 2005...

Which prompted the greatest park sign backhanding HUSS. Please tell me you have a photo of the sign that was on display that season!

I remember this day well, I could hear what happened all the way from then HB land.

• Like 2

I was at KI on Sunday. I observed the rotating disc of Delirium supported on stands. Presumably, the crane was used to place the disc on the stands to relieve load in the swing arm. I also saw an oxygen acetylene hose on the side of the swing arm. Oxyacetylene is commonly used for cutting and welding of steel. Looks to me that structural work was being performed on the powertrain of the swing arm.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

That's good to hear that it was testing at some point (it would be interesting to see it move without the disk spinning)! :) Everytime I went by on Saturday, Delirium was closed and not operating.

Yeah I went to Banshee first thing on passholder weekend.  Had plenty of time to observe them testing it. Probably did it 4-5 times in the 2 hours I was waiting there.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

Which prompted the greatest park sign backhanding HUSS. Please tell me you have a photo of the sign that was on display that season!

I remember this day well, I could hear what happened all the way from then HB land.

The Director's Note?

delidown3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, silver2005 said:

^Doesn't CF have a similar sign for Delirium now?

I always hate to see it down.  Tis my current favorite non-coaster ride at KI. 

Does Delirium even go down that often? I can’t think of many visits I’ve had where Delirium didn’t open. I feel like Drop Tower & WindSeeker go down more often but perhaps I just get lucky during my visits. I definitely hope it gets back up and running soon as it is definitely the best flat ride in the park.

• Like 2