Why was Vortex hated?

Vortex_fan

Hey guys, Short note, So I know it's been so long since I last made a thread but I just want to say that I'm glad it had so many fans and people were sad to see it go as well. 

Anyways, I would like to know your opinions on why you think Vortex was hated so much. I didn't hate it at all, The most fun thing to watch go around and around but also to feel the grip of The Vortex. Whenever I would ask a person are you sad that it's leaving I always got "no not really". I asked why and it was because it was too rough. I do agree with the roughness but I had a way to avoid that issue. You had to fight with the coaster. Pulling you head back as far away from the restraint as possible. It still hurt but it wasn't as bad. The roughness was the only issue I had heard about nothing else. Then I was told that the ride was too old. Yet you have Cedar Points corkscrew and Loch ness monster still operating. Something seemed off about it. Tell me what you guys think!

Sincerely

Vortex_Fan

• Like 1

To be fair, it was mainly the GP who really hated on Vortex. Most enthusiasts I’ve come across have said that it was their favorite arrow looper... but without that knowledge about the history / manufacturer / ride type, along with rumors that the ride itself was sinking, that would probably explain why people hated it. It was getting rough, and although it wasn’t the absolute roughest arrow (I’m looking at you, Anaconda) most GP probably just looked at it as a painful experience. I hear some pretty crazy opinions about certain things whenever I go to the park and it always makes me chuckle. 

I will always miss those janky transitions :(

Just now, Cheesy Gordita Crunch said:

To be fair, it was mainly the GP who really hated on Vortex. Most enthusiasts I’ve come across have said that it was their favorite arrow looper... but without that knowledge about the history / manufacturer / ride type, along with rumors that the ride itself was sinking, that would probably explain why people hated it. It was getting rough, and although it wasn’t the absolute roughest arrow (I’m looking at you, Anaconda) most GP probably just looked at it as a painful experience. I hear some pretty crazy opinions about certain things whenever I go to the park and it always makes me chuckle. 

My issue with the sinking rumor is how there are older rides in the park that aren't sinking. I don't understand how it's even possible. 

• Like 1

My wife and her sister both hurled after riding it, and that was it for them. I loved Vortex, but even for me the six inversions would have my head spinning a little bit after one ride. Not sure how people could marathon it, but I know some did. 

• Like 1

The Vortex was a wonderful coaster from its birth until about 2005. As technology advanced, and people started to enjoy different restraints and smoother tracks The Vortex became obsolete. I don't think it was a hated coaster, it just aged and peoples tastes changed. The skyline of KI is changed forever, and I will miss the only roller coaster to ever intimidate me.

• Thanks 2

I believe 98% of the hate is the result of the head banging, uncomfortable hard seats, and (in my opinion) a claustrophobic feeling in the trains.

I loved it though. 

Regarding the comparisons to Cedar Point Corkscrew and BG Loch Ness Monster…Vortex was built at a very high elevation compared to those two. Except for the final elements, everything was very high off the ground, which required more steel supports, which were more expensive to maintain. That height made Vortex all the more impressive visually, but I believe contributed to its shorter life.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 6:20 PM, Cheesy Gordita Crunch said:

I've actually heard way more complaints about Vortex from enthusiasts than I ever did from GP. My Gp friends weren't crazy about it or anything, but also I don't feel the gp forms super strong opinions about any of these rides. I think the people who really cared that Vortex was coming down were just people who have been going to KI a really long time. Like it kind of hit me in the feels a bit to see it come down, but that was just nostalgia. I don't miss riding it really at all.

• Like 2

I had a love/hate relationship with Vortex. I remember when it was built. I was about 8, and thought "there is no way I will ever ride that." It was a challenge all through my childhood, and I was so proud when I finally could say I rode it. It was one of the park's great thrill rides for a long time, and I still think that its first drop was one of the best in the park, and the weightlessness in the barrel rolls always gave me a good scare. 

But, as others have said, it didn't age well. It turned very rough. Sometimes I can handle that on a coaster -- The Beast is rough, but it never feels like the roughness outweighs the fun. With The Vortex, the headbanging was really bad. I'd smack my ear against the headrests every ride, and sometimes I'd leave with a headache. I took a few years off it. In 2019, we visited the park just a few weeks before it was announced the ride would be closed. I rode it again and that love/hate relationship was back. That first drop? Still great. Those barrel rolls? Still freaked me out. But when we got off, my ears hurt, my neck hurt, my back hurt. I got off and told my wife, "I think I've aged out of that one. Don't know if I'll ride it again." And the park made the decision for me. 

But I'm still sad it's gone. I think it was the most photogenic coaster in the park. 

• Like 2

When it went in, it was smooth as glass. For years after that it was a KI institution and in my youth, when the only coasters were Racer, Cobra, Vortex and Beast it was a favorite for sure. But over time it got super rough to the point where it simply wasn't that pleasant to ride. So while I'm not sad that they got rid of it, I'll always think very highly of it. 

• Like 3

I won't say that I hated Vortex but I did not like it, especially in the last few years of its operation.  First reason was that the first drop to me was underwhelming after that long lift hill.  Decent air time but shorter than expected (early on before I became used to it).  After that, the coaster just didn't age well.  The looping curve developed a snap and the turn into the midcourse brake became painful.  The funny thing is that I rode it in 1988 for the first time and, as it aged, I did too and I think that also had part of the blame.  It just became harder for me to enjoy.

I still ride The Beast but I'm careful to try and get a middle car and to also sit on the middle row and avoid the axles.  This has made it much easier for me and I leave the back (former favorite spot) to those who are in better shape to take the beating.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cdubbs727 said:

I had a love/hate relationship with Vortex. I remember when it was built. I was about 8, and thought "there is no way I will ever ride that." It was a challenge all through my childhood, and I was so proud when I finally could say I rode it. It was one of the park's great thrill rides for a long time, and I still think that its first drop was one of the best in the park, and the weightlessness in the barrel rolls always gave me a good scare. 

But, as others have said, it didn't age well. It turned very rough. Sometimes I can handle that on a coaster -- The Beast is rough, but it never feels like the roughness outweighs the fun. With The Vortex, the headbanging was really bad. I'd smack my ear against the headrests every ride, and sometimes I'd leave with a headache. I took a few years off it. In 2019, we visited the park just a few weeks before it was announced the ride would be closed. I rode it again and that love/hate relationship was back. That first drop? Still great. Those barrel rolls? Still freaked me out. But when we got off, my ears hurt, my neck hurt, my back hurt. I got off and told my wife, "I think I've aged out of that one. Don't know if I'll ride it again." And the park made the decision for me. 

But I'm still sad it's gone. I think it was the most photogenic coaster in the park. 

Meanwhile you didn't age or grow since age 8, so you didn't become a tighter fit in the ride LOL:P

20 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Meanwhile you didn't age or grow since age 8, so you didn't become a tighter fit in the ride LOL:P

I aged out of Vortex, but I fatted out of Flight of Fear (one year; slimmed back down enough to squeeze in the next year). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cdubbs727 said:

I aged out of Vortex, but I fatted out of Flight of Fear (one year; slimmed back down enough to squeeze in the next year). 

I wondered if I was gonna have the same problem this year due to extra weight from 2020 Corona virus and the extra beer drinking at home but no still good. Prior to Covid I hardly ever kept a 6 pack in my fridge.

2 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

I wondered if I was gonna have the same problem this year due to extra weight from 2020 Corona virus and the extra beer drinking at home but no still good. Prior to Covid I hardly ever kept a 6 pack in my fridge.

I had the opposite problem. In 2019, I was eating out every day because I was in an office. Being home for a year and a half encouraged me to eat a bit better and get some of that excess poundage off. 

It was poorly engineered.   The transitions of the track were horrible, the trains wobbled on the track, and arrow loops are too tight.   All lead to a very brutal ride.   They turn before the mid course break run was way too tight and slammed riders.   

It looked great visually with all 6’inversions aligned together but it was not well designed. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, super7 said:

It looked great visually with all 6’inversions aligned together but it was not well designed. 

You just praised one of its design aspects and then say it was not well designed. :wacko:

Back in the late 80's to very early 90's, Vortex got praises of how smooth and modern it was. The ride lasted over 30 years. It is very hard to compare transitions that were made by hand vs computer designed and pre-manufactured like we have today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In it's prime Vortex was a fun fantastic thrill worth many repeat rides.  Towards the end of it's life it was in my opinion the roughest or one of the roughest rides in the park.  People call The Beast rough but it's just a jiggle.  Vortex would slam you constantly at the end.  Only rollercoaster I've ever had break sunglasses on.   Also the only coaster rough enough to have ever caused me physical pain afterwards.  It got to the point I didn't ride for the last year or two of when I had my pass.

Overall I loved The Vortex but not The Vortex we had at the end.

I absolutely love/loved Vortex. Its my #1 of all time. (I have one of the track slices sitting in my room in a glass display case) (IceePirate, im still forever grateful you went out of your way to help me get my hands on history!!!) And dang it was beautiful to look at! And i honestly never found it too painful, but thats just me though. I love inversions and positive Gs. And the airtime it delivered in the back row on the first drop (to me) was amazing!! I still miss it a year and a half later. And ill admit it, i cried on my final ride. 

• Like 1