Is Flight of Fear getting rougher?

Vortex_fan

As you may know I am more of a classic coaster type of person. So, I want to talk about a favorite of mine, The Flight of Fear. I have been on that ride numerous amounts of times. Then I didn't take the time to realize is it getting rougher? As you go really fast you can hear like a weird sound on the track. I think it's just because it's going so fast. In addition, It does jerk really hard and the cars seem to be bumping. In other words as if the entire train is rattling. It does seem to jerk really hard too, Kinda like The Adventure Express. Now I wouldn't say it's the type of ride design because when I went on The Flight of Fear at Kings Dominion, I didn't notice anything. However, It could just be me, I'm not trying to sound picky or anything, But I do think the ride is defiantly starting to show it's age. So, I was wondering have you noticed this about the ride or is it just me?

P.S, Thanks so much for all the replies on my most recent thread

Sincerely

Vortex_Fan 

37 minutes ago, Vortex_fan said:

As you may know I am more of a classic coaster type of person. So, I want to talk about a favorite of mine, The Flight of Fear. I have been on that ride numerous amounts of times. Then I didn't take the time to realize is it getting rougher? As you go really fast you can hear like a weird sound on the track. I think it's just because it's going so fast. In addition, It does jerk really hard and the cars seem to be bumping. In other words as if the entire train is rattling. It does seem to jerk really hard too, Kinda like The Adventure Express. Now I wouldn't say it's the type of ride design because when I went on The Flight of Fear at Kings Dominion, I didn't notice anything. However, It could just be me, I'm not trying to sound picky or anything, But I do think the ride is defiantly starting to show it's age. So, I was wondering have you noticed this about the ride or is it just me?

P.S, Thanks so much for all the replies on my most recent thread

Sincerely

Vortex_Fan 

I think what you are hearing are the vibrations of the track/support not moving as much since it goes into concrete. I don't think it is actually rougher than it would be elsewhere, just sounds worse because it is inside.

I say this because I notice it more the closer you are to the ground. Especially right before the corkscrew.

26 minutes ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

The only rough part on Flight of Fear is the final brake run. That's a straight up lobotomy.

That final brake run was absolutely BRUTAL a couple seasons ago, fortunately I think they've toned it down a bit since then.

When I did ride it (2019 and before), I did notice the roughness was hit or miss. Some rides were awesome and some rides the shaking/roughness was so bad it felt like it was going to derail (seriously!). I also think it depends on where you sit; IIRC, the odd numbered seats do not have that much of a "rattle". I didn't ride Saturday as they still have the mask policy for indoor attractions and also the line was insanely long (as always!).

I don't feel the ride is rough. There is vibration and a few sharp transitions. The final brake run is brutally exhilarating. I'm going to KD on Sunday and will ride their FoF for comparison. My only gripe with FoF is the seats have little leg room.

• Like 1

As of 2018- I thought KD's FOF was smoother than ours.
But man am I glad our queue isn't cut in half by a haunt maze lol

Also, the few times I got to ride without a full stop on the MCBR *thumbs up*
It sounds like they've gone back to using the MCBR since I last rode ours

I know from prior experience that some of the roughness can be attributed to the wheels on the trains. If you catch it when the wheels are particularly more worn, the ride seems a bit more rough. Otherwise, I've had good rides on FOF, even as recently as last season.

The MCBR can completely ruin the pacing of the second half. Still is not rough unless you mean that nasty final brake. Some of my best rides on it were during Winterfest 2018. The MCBR came on very little if at all. On the downside it is hard to get the seatbelt buckled with winter layers. I wonder how "Rough" it would seem with the original restraints or how those first 4 years compare to now.

The original restraints were horrible.  Total headbanger.  You would have to forcibly hold your head to one side to try to minimize the banging.  I think it feels smoother now than then, but that is probably more the effect of no headbanger columns LOL.

The only difference I noticed this year was that it seemed much darker in there than in previous years.  When I rode it on Passholder weekend, I honestly couldn't see a darn thing.  Normally I can make out a little bit of what's ahead.

It's also possible that my eyesight has worsened over the past year.