Incident at Kings Island 5/22/21

BeeastFarmer

Not at the park today, I had to work.  But all my KI Facebook groups are filled with stories of fighting at the park.  What in the world?  One post said there was a particularly violet fight near Sweet Spot/The French Corner with heads being bashed into the pavers.  This was told by someone who identified themself as a Sweet Spot employee.  Also, parking lot and drop off area fights.

I hope the people who were involved with these fights (if the reports are true) are banned and fully prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

All lines were closed by 9:20 (not sure of the exact time)... even if they allowed you to re-enter, you probably wouldn’t have been able to get in line for anything. After there were fights etc., I’m sure they just wanted to get everyone out of the park, so I’m not surprised they stopped allowing re-entry.

• Like 1

I live very close to the park.
I realize the park hit capacity and entrants were not allowed in after about 5pm… but many locals are stating that the park did fireworks at 930 tonight and started moving guests out early due to fights breaking out through the park. Possibly gang related

Anyone there tonight to confirm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Does anybody know exactly what happened and why? There is a reddit thread that mentions some fights around Festhouse and lots of police cars in the lot. Did the Kentucky Kingdom kids get dropped off at King's Island this weekend after they announced their policy change?

I am going to be at Stricker's Grove this coming Sat for an ACE event and was considering stopping by King's Island for a few night rides on the way home. If they limit the amount of people in and/or shut down rides early again my plan may not work.

• Like 1

Trust me, Kings Island had no choice but to close lines early. They just needed to get everyone out of the park with so much violence and threats. I hope this is a one time thing though because I do not want to see Kings Island create a new chaperone policy.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Trust me, Kings Island had no choice but to close lines early. They just needed to get everyone out of the park with so much violence and threats. I hope this is a one time thing though because I do not want to see Kings Island create a new chaperone policy.

You mean like chaperone policy that Kentucky Kingdom just implemented ...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

implement it here too.  

I really don’t want Kings Island to do that. There are so many well behaved people who visit the park who are under 21. They shouldn’t have to pay for the actions of others. Kings Island’s attendance would plummet with such a policy. While some fights do break out at Kings Island, it isn’t very common, so I hope this is only a one time occurrence.

• Like 3

Just now, FUN&ONLY! said:

I really don’t want Kings Island to do that. There are so many well behaved people who visit the park who are under 21. They shouldn’t have to pay for the actions of others. While some fights do break out at Kings Island, it isn’t very common, so I hope this is a one time occurrence.

with the gate been giving away it will turn into a place to drop off kids.  Be like SFWoA was.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

with the gate been giving away it will turn into a place to drop off kids.  Be like SFWoA was.

Kings Island literally raised the price of a Gold Pass to as high as its ever been. While they extended 2020 Gold Passes into 2021, they didn’t have a choice. I don’t know how old you are, but have you ever gone to Kings Island with the some friends when you have not been over the age of 21? How would you feel not being allowed to attend? I don’t think many people would appreciate a chaperone policy even if it sounds like a good idea in theory.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Kings Island literally raised the price of a Gold Pass to as high as its ever been. While they extended 2020 Gold Passes into 2021, they didn’t have a choice. I don’t know how old you are, but have you ever gone to Kings Island with the some friends when you have not been over the age of 21? How would you feel not being allowed to attend? I don’t think many people would appreciate a chaperone policy even if it sounds like a good idea in theory.

under 15 with a chaperone is different than 18-21 year Olds. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

under 15 with a chaperone is different than 18-21 year Olds. 

I am talking about people under 21 who want to visit Kings Island together. Not all groups of teenagers are bad. Some people under the age of 21 come to Kings Island by themselves, and not all of them are bad either. I just hope this doesn’t happen again.

• Like 1

Kentucky Kingdom did it.

Shopping malls have done it.

Stores around schools have done it.

A few bad characters results in measures to prevent it from happening.

The gold pass did not substantially go up when they added Winterfest and they could have legit made that a reason for an increase.

The price of passes have not kept up with inflation. 

Many have used KI as summer daycare.  The price of a gold pass and add-ons is less than a week of daycare.  Granted this isn't the demo that the policy is targeting, but it doesn't take many bad characters to ruin it for everyone...

But all age groups have bad characters that ruin it for everyone, but the under 21 crowd is an easier policy to implement...

The pricing model is another story though happening in other threads LOL.

• Like 6

Not to mention the park is currently understaffed. My family can only really visit on weekends and we have a 8,3, and 3 month old. Very frustrating to have to stànd in like for 45 minutes to get a drink. This season has been a complete bust and has thinking of getting passes elsewhere next year. 

• Like 1

With Kentucky Kingdom doing it, and if things were bad enough last night for the park to essentially close early due to violence, they must at least be considering a similar chaperone policy. It would certainly ruffle feathers, but the park cannot afford to alienate their family oriented customer base. Kennywood also has this policy, about 4/5 hours away in Pittsburgh. 

• Like 1

My wife said the Facebook KI group said there was some "gang activity", someone pulled a gun in the parking lot, and a bunch of cops (20) showed up.

If it’s the same FB group I was reading last night it was 1 guy saying over and over and over it was “gangs” Like he commented after every post insisting it was “gangs” then a couple of folks that were not at the park made “thug” comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I worked all day at the park yesterday. Luckily I didn't get to witness any fights since I got sent to a ride in Snoopy for the last 4 hours where everyone was very well behaved. I didn't even know the park was closing early. I got sent home like a half hour early, but that was for a different reason. I didn't find out what happened until I talked to a security guard while waiting for my ride. Very unfortunate this happened and I had a talk with another associate and we talked about KY Kingdom's chaperone policy and I told her I wouldn't be shocked if this triggers KI or Cedar Fair in general to implement a similar policy. In fact I've said before places that I wouldn't be shocked if cases like this start happening more often if states start mandating that entertainment venues like theme parks have one of these policies. Very unfortunate, but that's just how the world is becoming. Obviously not all teenagers are bad people. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimlaheyscar said:

They did early fireworks and shut down early. Fights everywhere in the park and out. Some fairly bloody from what I've seen.  Some really great people there yesterday obviously. Hate to see it. 

That's horrible.   Such trouble makers have no place where there are families with young children.  

• Like 2

I've seen some videos of the fights yesterday up at Kings Island.  What a shame a people act that way.  Hopefully, this is a one time thing and KI beefs up security.  I never thought our 'home' park would have individuals acting a fool like that.-

-EDIT-

We are not talking about a small fight... we are talking about large groups of people swinging punches.

• Like 2

Also for clarification... I don't think their were guns.   -EDIT- (well I am hearing reports that the guns were in the parking lot in the cars.... some guests heard shots.  That's uncalled for.

More information from people:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ROBBE1 said:

I've seen some videos of the fights yesterday up at Kings Island.  What a shame a people act that way.  Hopefully, this is a one time thing and KI beefs up security.  I never thought our 'home' park would have individuals acting a fool like that.-

-EDIT-

We are not talking about a small fight... we are talking about large groups of people swinging punches.

They were advertising security positions starting at 15/hour.

• Like 1

And after observing people in the US across all different demographics in the past year and a half (yes, it's a hobby of mine) none of this surprises me in the slightest.  This all stems from the 10 to the 100th power of causes du' jour that people have to cling to in order to exist on a day to day basis in this country lately (again greatly exacerbated in the last 15-18 months) and combined with people who have become somewhat institutionalized mentally with the lockdowns and restrictions caused by that thing I will no longer mention in my day to day vocabulary and the fact that everyone just HAS to be "right" and everyone else wrong.  Add a nearly 90 degree day to that, and we have this result, which will be the norm instead of the exception for all of this year, and likely beyond.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FEARSOMERIDER said:

Maybe they should follow Kentucky Kingdoms lead and have a chaperone policy.  Seems the individuals causing trouble at Kings Island were primarily juveniles, according to one of the articles posted.

Id LOVE to have every park in the country do what KK did, this is another example (in my opinion) of that park "doing it right" as others should do.  Parks ARE NOT, repeat for those in the back, ARE NOT intended to be babysitters for obnoxious adolescents. 

• Like 9