Incident at Kings Island 5/22/21

BeeastFarmer

As @BoddaH1994 posted, many articles are hitting the rounds now, but most are a repeat of the same article...nice investigative journalism doesn't exist anymore LOL.

The Enquirer at least talked to some people and could add a little color to the situation, albeit still lacking in many details...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2021/05/23/fights-and-unruly-guests-prompt-early-closing-kings-island-saturday/5231933001/

A dad's quote "I was hoping this would be the year we could let our 12-year-old go to the park with friends. I don’t know that I am comfortable with that now."  Sadly I have seen siblings even younger than this dropped off at the park for the day while the parents work or socialize or whatever they did...load the pass up with meal and drink plan and cheaper than a sitter...one set of siblings I would see at the park quite often and they were well behaved and went through food lines and got their food and the two would eat together, but never saw a parent...they looked maybe 10 and 8 and that was being generous.  Maybe they were small for their age LOL.

11 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Kentucky Kingdom did it.

Shopping malls have done it.

Stores around schools have done it.

A few bad characters results in measures to prevent it from happening.

The gold pass did not substantially go up when they added Winterfest and they could have legit made that a reason for an increase.

The price of passes have not kept up with inflation. 

Many have used KI as summer daycare.  The price of a gold pass and add-ons is less than a week of daycare.  Granted this isn't the demo that the policy is targeting, but it doesn't take many bad characters to ruin it for everyone...

But all age groups have bad characters that ruin it for everyone, but the under 21 crowd is an easier policy to implement...

The pricing model is another story though happening in other threads LOL.

I’d find this concerning. I feel like a portion of the reasoning for the downfall of the American mall is because teenagers were treated what they would consider to be unfair in the early 2000’s. Now those teenagers are homeowners and have been sour on this ever since. I think you and I went back and forth about the same concept with not allowing phones in lines, which would push a lot of people away and would have a long lasting effect. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I’d find this concerning. I feel like a portion of the reasoning for the downfall of the American mall is because teenagers were treated what they would consider to be unfair in the early 2000’s. Now those teenagers are homeowners and have been sour on this ever since. I think you and I went back and forth about the same concept with not allowing phones in lines, which would push a lot of people away and would have a long lasting effect. 

I think if Kings Island were to do this to teenagers now, they wouldn’t come back when they are older and bring their kids. A lot of parents grew up going to Kings Island with friends, and now they bring their families back. And their kids will eventually bring their kids back. A chaperone policy is just not the answer to combat fighting. Heck, Kings Island used to have a Grad Night where every high school graduate in the area had free admission. 

Kings Island just needs to enforce the rules. I hope they banned everyone who caused problems last night, so those people won’t cause problems again. I know some rides threw entire parties out for line jumping yesterday, and that is great because it deters guests from doing the same thing again. If the park has a zero tolerance policy, a lot of future fighting will be avoided.

• Like 1

I can see the park starting to post more boards for rules around the park,  'You can't do this, this or this,  doing any of the things listed,  you will be removed from the park,  up to and including being banned, plus if needed arrested'.   Sad that it has to come to this, but to make sure everyone knows this type of stuff will not be tolerated.   

All great points.  On the other hand, if the gate is being given away, the entertainment value per dollar spent spread out over a season cannot be beat and that is a great motivator for many people to keep coming back.  Where else can you get fed two meals per day all summer for the price of the season long meal plan?

At this point, I think the larger crowds not allowing for a Best Day ever experience will turn people off more than the chaperone policy.  Time will tell if that policy comes here.

Has anyone done an analysis of attendance and revenue for parks that have implemented similar policies - if any exist with a long enough history to see a trend?

I would hope though that KI doesn't knee jerk this and implement the policy that then becomes another policy they cannot enforce.  I'd rather see a beef up of security and enforce the policies already in place.

I mentioned here many years ago that instead of having ride-op's station the front of rides and the occasional roamer in queues, the changing behaviors of guests over the years probably needs to make those positions as security personnel instead.  The abuse ride-op's take trying to enforce the policy of no bags for example is horrible.  Now these same people would probably mouth off to a security guard as well, but it would stop some from making a scene and those that do make a scene can truly be dealt with.  A 16-year old wants to be a ride-op not a security person...

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

All great points.  On the other hand, if the gate is being given away, the entertainment value per dollar spent spread out over a season cannot be beat and that is a great motivator for many people to keep coming back.  Where else can you get fed two meals per day all summer for the price of the season long meal plan?

At this point, I think the larger crowds not allowing for a Best Day ever experience will turn people off more than the chaperone policy.  Time will tell if that policy comes here.

Has anyone done an analysis of attendance and revenue for parks that have implemented similar policies - if any exist with a long enough history to see a trend?

I would hope though that KI doesn't knee jerk this and implement the policy that then becomes another policy they cannot enforce.  I'd rather see a beef up of security and enforce the policies already in place.

I mentioned here many years ago that instead of having ride-op's station the front of rides and the occasional roamer in queues, the changing behaviors of guests over the years probably needs to make those positions as security personnel instead.  The abuse ride-op's take trying to enforce the policy of no bags for example is horrible.  Now these same people would probably mouth off to a security guard as well, but it would stop some from making a scene and those that do make a scene can truly be dealt with.  A 16-year old wants to be a ride-op not a security person...

If Kings Island simply hired more security guards to roam the park, I think that would make a huge difference. There already are some security guards that roam the park keeping an eye out for misconduct while also interacting with guests and asking how their day is going. Kings Island needs more of that in the park.

• Like 5

I would not be surprised if the park took significant action. After a disastrous opening weekend, Cedar Point slashed available reservations, removed 8 operating days from the calendar and significantly increased their salary offering... All in less than a week.

If KI, staring in the face of a likely VERY busy holiday weekend and coming off an embarrassing night for the park that has made the news, decides to copy the Kennywood/Kentucky Kingdom chaperone policy and bring back reservations effective immediately... I would not be shocked at all. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, markr said:

It may be grown ups who need a chaperone if the trouble makers were over 21.   

That’s another problem. Some of the trouble makers very well could have been 21 or over and been with younger teenagers that caused all the problems. I just don’t want Kings Island to start limiting operating days and hours because the problems yesterday were honestly not related to staffing. Staffing at the park could be better, but it is not too bad. They just need to get a few more food locations open.

I think comparing malls and parks are a bit unfair. Malls were also hit by the rise of online shopping and the increased popularity of outdoor malls. Plus many anchors going bankrupt hurt as well.

I personally don’t see a youth policy being hurtful to the parks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, shark6495 said:

I think comparing malls and parks are a bit unfair. Malls were also hit by the rise of online shopping and the increased popularity of outdoor malls. Plus many anchors going bankrupt hurt as well.

I personally don’t see a youth policy being hurtful to the parks.

Tons of factors, but I do wonder if that was one of them. I agree that the retail landscape has changed a lot in the past 20 years, but I wonder if the youth policies of the past couple of decades damaged the relationship enough to affect current foot traffic. I’m not saying with authority that it’s a factor, but I do speculate. 

• Like 1

As a person who absolutely loves this park so much, it hurts my heart to see some of the videos of the fighting that happened. This is a place of families and happiness and great memories made. And now this, makes me sick to my stomach. What is going on in this world? I never thought I'd see this type of behavior at the park...I just don't get it.

• Like 3

I was there yesterday. A majority of these people involved were part of the bussed in crowd and a bunch of thugs. They were not abiding by park rules all day. Smoking in the park, using really foul language, half undressed, jumping lines. I will support a raise in cost for admission and passes and do away with the payment plan. Also they need to implement a chaperone policy like KK. I hope the park reevaluates letting schools bussing in kids when it’s a 50:1 of kids per adult chaperone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Several Mason PD cops and Sheriff deputies parked out front right now as well as a large congregation of security. Seems KI is going to do everything in their power to prevent another incident tonight.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Can someone summarize the KK chaperone policy, or what you think it should be at KI (if you think KI should have one)? I’m seeing some comments here “under 21”. The article I read re: KK was that under 16 had to enter the park with someone 21+. 

If I was a local I would be hesitant to support a chaperone policy too quickly---I'm sure many that live around the park have kids that behave 100% of the time or at least such that no one would notice. I have the utmost faith that KI will figure this out one way or another though. In very general terms they need to send a message to those that might be inclined to cause trouble that KI is not the place to do it. It won't be tolerated, so let's not go there---let's go somewhere else to cause trouble, it's no fun to do it there.

• Like 7

We all, in some form or another, take ownership in the park.  Every single one of us should be outraged that this happened at a place as beloved as Kings Island. 

The mere fact that this has occurred makes me sick on my stomach. For the love of God there were families and little, little children there.  Its simply disgusting.

I trust in the park's leadership enough to know this sort of thing will not be tolerated.

If that means hard rules must be instituted, fine by me. 

I support any measure the park takes to ensure the safety of ALL guests, and ALL employees. 

• Like 16

54 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

We all, in some form or another, take ownership in the park.  Every single one of us should be outraged that this happened at a place as beloved as Kings Island. 

I’m much more upset about the 45 minute drink line. Because that effects me. Some kids beating the **** out of each other has 0 effect on anyone other than those fighting. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

Is KI parking lot at closing the new high noon?

Was cincy photography looking for trouble to film Saturday or coincidence?
Sounds like he definitely has some type of agenda against KI, makes you wonder why he paid to even be there if he's so against them...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

Is KI parking lot at closing the new high noon?

Was cincy photography looking for trouble to film Saturday or coincidence?

That was someone else’s footage. Not sure why he had it on his Youtube. That was just the first video I found when I searched. 

• Like 1

I saw security from an outside company today. Like a rent-a-cop.
Is that normal?

That video while there is a large crowd, it looks like younger teens doing the fighting. Impulse control isn’t the strong suit of 14yro’s at all.

• Like 1

Just now, Twirly said:

I saw security from an outside company today. Like a rent-a-cop.
Is that normal?

That video while there is a large crowd, it looks like younger teens doing the fighting. Impulse control isn’t the strong suit of 14yro’s at all.

Chaperoning would have helped a little.

1 minute ago, coaster sally said:

Chaperoning would have helped a little.

While it would help. I don't think it would fix everything. I witnessed a different one, which definitely contained a decent amount over 16 & over 18 years old, so I don't know how much it would help there. I hope this is a one time thing, and hopefully, we won't have to worry about it later down the line. Part of me thinks everyone was already on edge from the crowds and lines.

• Like 3