Incident at Kings Island 5/22/21

BeeastFarmer

31 minutes ago, beastfan11 said:

Don’t know if this has been posted. I’m just now getting up to speed in regards to what happened. 

If this was truly a reoccurring situation that wasn’t addressed until it got out of hand... That’s pretty shameful on the parks end. Pretty incredible that an officer had apparently been pepper sprayed?  

Did they hire their security guards from Intamin?

It was reoccurring if you count the parking lot fight with the same boy when dark fell.

Cincinnati has to have some extra soda fountains somewhere too. 
Coke makes freestyle machines that you can automatically refill based on RFID chips put into the bottom of cups. Obviously they couldn't use those for the paper cups but it would be a possible solution for the plastic reusable cups, I've always wondered why they haven't tried those.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I feel like once weekend operations start, crowds will decrease and the lines will become much more manageable. I know Kings Island hitting full capacity is extremely rare, and it probably won’t happen once weekday operations start. Really what Kings Island needs is more days and hours of operation to meet the incredibly high demand. However, in terms of the fighting, I think Kings Island should just reaffirm on their social media and to news outlets that Kings Island is a safe place and announce something like a zero-tolerance policy for misconduct. What I fear if Kings Island does not reassure guests is that guests will call the police while at the park over every little thing which would draw more attention to the park.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I feel like once weekend operations start, crowds will decrease and the lines will become much more manageable. I know Kings Island hitting full capacity is extremely rare, and it probably won’t happen once weekday operations start. Really what Kings Island needs is more days and hours of operation to meet demand. However, in terms of the fighting, I think Kings Island should just reaffirm on their social media and to news outlets that Kings Island is a safe place and announce something like a zero-tolerance policy for misconduct. What I fear if Kings Island does not reassure guests is that guests will call the police while at the park over every little thing which would draw more attention to the park.

Just looking at Soak City reservation availability opens up the 2nd weekend in June, so it could ease up a bit. 

22 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

These type of incidents are not unexpected at some other parks. *cough* Gurnee, Illinois anyone? *cough*.  As Cedar Fair follows that other chain’s lead I would expect more.  

Although I don't think it holds true today, I found this very funny. Generational thing, perhaps. In the early/mid 90's Gurnee was rough. And not one bad night rough, like Boyz N The Hood rough. (aging myself for sure). Or at least "we" thought so at the time. Certainly a much more violent time, as hard as that is to believe for some kids today. The videos from the past weekend were not good by any means. But nobody died/stabbed/shot/etc.  Let's move forward!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/23/2021 at 1:07 AM, FUN&ONLY! said:

I don’t know how old you are, but have you ever gone to Kings Island with the some friends when you have not been over the age of 21? How would you feel not being allowed to attend? I don’t think many people would appreciate a chaperone policy even if it sounds like a good idea in theory.

Wow yeah this is crazy that people want this I agree with you completely. I've lived in this region my entire life and I'm sure it's been the same for a lot of you that the first time you're able to walk around at Kings Island without your parents is a right of passage around here (even if you had to meet back at the Eiffel Tower by 4pm. EXACTLY 4pm). One of my first "dates" with my wife was at KI on a fall Saturday back when we were both in 8th grade. I have GREAT memories of going to Kings Island with my friends at that age. I'm amazed that people are applauding Kentucky Kingdom enacting a policy that forces High School freshman to walk around an amusement park with their parents. If there's anyone who should be absolutely able to enjoy amusement parks, wouldn't it be people that age?

It's funny because I'd bet money that some of the people on this board pushing for this change are the same people that go on and on about how soft kids are nowadays because parents baby them and won't let them do anything.

The reason Cedar Fair keeps getting bad press lately is largely on their own shoulders. You go into a season where you know staffing is going to be a challenge, try to hire security cards for like $1.50 an hour LESS than Walmart pays people to decorate birthday cakes, and then wonder why fights are breaking out in the park.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Park made a statement, not exactly a plan of action but better than remaining silent, I suppose…

https://www.daytondailynews.com/local/kings-island-closes-early-after-reports-of-fight-in-parking-lot-saturday-night/KOFANO2F6ZB2DOSBZF7ZFRRNHQ/

Says the statement was made Sunday morning, so it's the the same statement the other news outlets received.

9 minutes ago, Rallyomalley said:

Says the statement was made Sunday morning, so it's the the same statement the other news outlets received.

I figured as much. I didn’t see the quote elsewhere until now, although I must admit that I didn’t real the dozens and dozens of articles on this. 

14 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

"Does not align with our core values"

Really?

I was thinking the same thing. 

12 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I know you’re joking, but to be fair the security guards were outnumbered, understaffed, and have no real authority. I think the last job on earth I’d want to have is being a security guard during something like this. 

I agree.  Honestly, who would want to be a security guard or even a police officer in today's political environment.  I also agree with other posters that if the park is understaffed then they probably should limit how many patrons can enter the park.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rlentless said:

I agree.  Honestly, who would want to be a security guard or even a police officer in today's political environment.  I also agree with other posters that if the park is understaffed then they probably should limit how many patrons can enter the park.

Greed?

• Confused 1

So on the note of this chaperoning thing, should that be the route the park decides to take, how would they even enforce this? Seeing as though they are understaffed literally everywhere and are contracting out security right now? Any thoughts on how they might do this? 

10 minutes ago, CheetahDrew said:

So on the note of this chaperoning thing, should that be the route the park decides to take, how would they even enforce this? Seeing as though they are understaffed literally everywhere and are contracting out security right now? Any thoughts on how they might do this? 

@ entrance?

37 minutes ago, CheetahDrew said:

Isn't your birth date attached to your season pass? If so, they can see that they are under a certain age and not let them in if they don't have an adult with them. 

3 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Isn't your birth date attached to your season pass? If so, they can see that they are under a certain age and not let them in if they don't have an adult with them. 

Problem I see with this though is, what prevents an adult coming in with them, dropping them off and then leaving. I can’t really see how anyone can prevent that. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CheetahDrew said:

Problem I see with this though is, what prevents an adult coming in with them, dropping them off and then leaving. I can’t really see how anyone can prevent that. 

I agree with sally, I think that just requiring kids to enter the park with an adult would go a long way toward reducing incidents like Saturday.

• Confused 1

I agree with sally, I think that just requiring kids to enter the park with an adult would go a long way toward reducing incidents like Saturday.
Agree, plus this only addresses season pass holders, how would you enforce this for daily ticket holders?

• Like 1

kids would have to walk in with an adult?
My comment was more in response to the comment that you would identify who is below age by the age on their season pass. I don't believe that would work since it can't be consistent for all guests.

• Like 1

Right, which is why using the season pass as a verification step for age is not a feasible solution. I'm sure there's some industry standard way of doing it, like others said this wouldn't be the first time a park instituted a policy like this.

• Like 1

@dtk1378 That is a good point, kids do not typically have ID that includes their age until it is time for a drivers permit/license.  I do believe the pre-k pass at the other parks does require a birth certificate or similar, so it could be done but communicating that to the public would be difficult.  

I am still not convinced a chaperone policy is necessary or would have a significant impact.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

@dtk1378 That is a good point, kids do not typically have ID that includes their age until it is time for a drivers permit/license.  I do believe the pre-k pass at the other parks does require a birth certificate or similar, so it could be done but communicating that to the public would be difficult.  

I am still not convinced a chaperone policy is necessary or would have a significant impact.  

SFWoA may still be around.......When people started using it as daycare attendance plummeted 

• Like 1