Incident at Kings Island 5/22/21

BeeastFarmer

23 minutes ago, chad_1138 said:

Here now.  The card is real!!

73067066-5ADD-4FC6-9972-358F98452010.jpeg

Yikes, what's the chance these aren't literally littered all over the park by Monday?  And who cares what some little card says when their tempers flare?

1 minute ago, jsus said:

Yikes, what's the chance these aren't literally littered all over the park by Monday?  And who cares what some little card says when their tempers flare?

That’s why there is park sweep! LOL! But in all seriousness, people litter their drink cups all over the park everyday, so the sweepers are just going to have one more thing to sweep up if these are littered. This card is actually really good in my opinion because it reminds people there are consequences for their actions. If tempers flare and fighting breaks out, they suffer the consequences.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jsus said:

I think it's a visual and tactile reminder.  I do remember a few years ago, during Halloween Haunt, they had bifold signs in the entry plaza that conveyed the same message.  If they hand you something, you might think it is a "surprise award" and you will read it.  Plus, for the "good guys", they may make not of the notification number on the back to report.  

The proof will be in the pudding though...will they do something when the KI Safe number is activated?  Will there be ejections/bans/trespassing enforced?  Will no smoking become enforced?  Line jumpers handled?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

The proof will be in the pudding though...will they do something when the KI Safe number is activated?  Will there be ejections/bans/trespassing enforced?  Will no smoking become enforced?  Line jumpers handled?

I wonder the most about the line jumpers. I have seen Kings Island throw line jumpers out of line when they are reported in the station, but I have never seen line jumpers ejected from the park. To be honest, many times it is just a few kids joining the rest of their party and not even realizing it is line jumping. I do hope the park enforces these policies though.

11 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I think it's a visual and tactile reminder.  I do remember a few years ago, during Halloween Haunt, they had bifold signs in the entry plaza that conveyed the same message.  If they hand you something, you might think it is a "surprise award" and you will read it.  Plus, for the "good guys", they may make not of the notification number on the back to report.  

So the question is, wouldn't signs/posters + using all the digital signage in the park these days (at the gate, the touchscreen maps, FunTV, etc) be at least as effective without little cards that will just be ripped up, tossed everywhere, and ignored?  Signs that you see repeatedly for reinforcement?

That said, no amount of posting rules and reinforcement will prevent what happened on the 22nd without strong, visible enforcement before the situation becomes out of hand.

23 minutes ago, jsus said:

So the question is, wouldn't signs/posters + using all the digital signage in the park these days (at the gate, the touchscreen maps, FunTV, etc) be at least as effective without little cards that will just be ripped up, tossed everywhere, and ignored?  Signs that you see repeatedly for reinforcement?

That said, no amount of posting rules and reinforcement will prevent what happened on the 22nd without strong, visible enforcement before the situation becomes out of hand.

I think both need to happen.  I also think that the KI SAFE number on the back is also just as important as the reminder.  Now, if they will actually do something when that number is texted.  (I have had several friends who have told me that nothing happened with that number was used, not even an acknowledgement of the report.)

• Like 2

3 months later….

Mason, Ohio — Mr. Brown has reached a plea deal with prosecutors and will perform 50 hours of community service at Kings Island.  The deal stipulates Mr. Brown will work in the entertainment department every Saturday and will perform shows at noon, 2 and 4 re-enacting a classic Peanuts scene.

95D174C7-4103-4E1F-9EC7-84ECC31BDC39.gif

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, PatchesC said:

Was the gathering in large groups blocking midways always a rule? 

Probably. I imagine if a group of 100 or so were crowding a midway they’d be asked to move along. Not sure if they’d ever thrown someone out for this, but I’m guessing they’re saying they can. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MoreFogPlease said:

I’ll say this, there are definitely A Lot more security workers visible around the park today.

I think Kings Island moved workers from the food stands to security! LOL! But in a seriousness, I can confirm that there was a major increase in security. There were many security guards throughout the park, and there were also a lot of police cars around.

Also saw multiple cop-cops. The staties, and maybe Mason? Just strolling around.
I didn’t notice understaffing, I noticed a lot of training. I suspect loading etc was slower because of that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, disco2000 said:

What about large groups stopping to watch a performance by the entertainment department?

I guess smoking in the park and in queues and phones out on rides are not ejectable offenses since it wasn't on the list...

The card says to check the website for the full Guest Code of Conduct.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, MoreFogPlease said:

I’ll say this, there are definitely A Lot more security workers visible around the park today.

Not sure if that’s what you saw or not. I saw several full timers wearing crossing guard style orange vests, which I think was intended to give the appearance of security. Not entirely certain what the intention was with that unless it was to give the illusion of even more security. 

5 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I think Kings Island moved workers from the food stands to security! LOL! But in a seriousness, I can confirm that there was a major increase in security. There were many security guards throughout the park, and there were also a lot of police cars around.

Yea, all the yellow jackets I saw looked like they'd have trouble fighting their way out of a paper bag, let alone handle a conflict. 

• Like 1

I always avoid confronting another guest if they engage in something like line jumping.   I try to contact staff, preferably security,  and let them handle the issue.   This not only keeps you safe but possibly the situation from escalating.