KI Modifies Park Hours for Memorial Day Weekend to June 10th

chad_1138

Park just updated the calendar.  They will have 8pm closings the next 2 weekends, including this weekend.

The next 10 PM closing will be June 11, and then still only Friday and Saturday nights until the end of June.

• Like 1

Nope, park changed the hours.  This weekend and next were scheduled for 10pm close...

So they have themselves in a PR pickle LOL - so they say this change is due to insufficient staffing despite them claiming to the media they are properly staffed ...so did a lot of people quit after last weekend or was the park giving a little white lie about being properly staffed...

The shortened hours are disappointing. I understand KI is trying to accommodate those that live nearby, however I live nearby and enjoy the later hours. I also understand in light of the occurrences this past weekend, the need for intervention, but I feel as those that follow the rules and have peaceful respectful interactions should not be penalized. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Nope, park changed the hours.  This weekend and next were scheduled for 10pm close...

So they have themselves in a PR pickle LOL - so they say this change is due to insufficient staffing despite them claiming to the media they are properly staffed ...so did a lot of people quit after last weekend or was the park giving a little white lie about being properly staffed...

I mean the likely reason for the cut hours is due to the wage increases, which was caused by insufficient staffing. Doesn’t mean the park lied about anything.

The park has a chance to really bounce back this year with the desire of people to get back out and enjoy themselves. I realize they would not have changed the hours unless necessary, but if this keeps up they are really going to shoot themselves in the foot with park guests on wanting to spend money. When you keep extending the days you are reducing the hours the value for a single day ticket goes down. The guests are not going to spend the last hour of the night shopping because they are tired, they are going to be in a queue wanting to get another ride in before they go. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

The guests are not going to spend the last hour of the night shopping because they are tired, they are going to be in a queue wanting to get another ride in before they go. 

Well that is why they will cut the lines an hour early so people cannot jump in line at 9:30 and instead go and shop and buy a book:P

Kings Island probably had no choice no matter what the problem was, but I am very disappointed. The last few hours on a 10:00 PM close day are always my favorite. I might go once weekday operations start, but I really will be waiting for 10:00 PM closes on the weekends. I really can’t wait until 10:00 PM weekday closes, but I will have to wait until July for that. Cedar Fair is having a rough year for sure, and it is very sad to see.

They should get PR on the ball and get this notice out on their social media channels ASAP.  

With this being a holiday weekend, it would make sense to give people as much advance notice as possible so people can change plans if they choose instead of coming to the park and finding out while there the hours changed and forming a line at the "make me whole" department...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

They should get PR on the ball and get this notice out on their social media channels.  

With this being a holiday weekend, it would make sense to give people enough advance notice so people can change plans if they choose instead of coming to the park and finding out while there the hours changed and forming a line at the "make me whole" department...

I feel bad for the people who booked Great Wolf Lodge or other accommodations that can't get a refund at this point.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I feel bad for the people who booked Great Wolf Lodge or other accommodations that can't get a refund at this point.

True, I am sure some of these reservations are now within the no cancel window.

The parks are certainly being put to the test early.  

And no matter what they do, someone is going to be unhappy.

37 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

They should get PR on the ball and get this notice out on their social media channels ASAP.  

With this being a holiday weekend, it would make sense to give people as much advance notice as possible so people can change plans if they choose instead of coming to the park and finding out while there the hours changed and forming a line at the "make me whole" department...

CF PR can't come out with bad news, they go into witness protection.

28 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

And still nothing has been posted. An email to just season pass holders is most definitely not enough. 

KIC and other fan channels have done more to communicate this change. I thought the park had a communications director?

Absolutely...and let's not forget that their app will need to be updated as well because it is not programmed to pull from a server things like the calendar and actually needs to be an app update...so that will burn some people as well if the app update rollout doesn't get to them in time...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimParker85 said:

They also may need to make an announcement about Soak City for Saturday. Every time i refresh the forecast the high temp drops another degree and rain is now predicted. Current predicted high temp is 59. 

Yep I mentioned in the other thread that if staffing were really the issue, that given the forecast, wouldn't they be better off to postpone Soak City opening and then staff the dry park to stay open the two hours they just removed....but we all know the real reason why...

736F2747-3E01-4B2B-8388-BCA5C2D1066C.png

The fact that they announced this hours ago and the app still isn’t updated just shows how they don’t have their ducks in a row. This needs to be communicated out, and even if everyone were informed earlier today it would have been too late. 

It does seem obvious that management is a bit scrambled on the closure messages and updating the appropriate sites (likely because IT only works 8-5pm, and the announcement was sent after they went home, which is no excuse - management should be able to coordinate better).  And to make matters worse announcing Soak City will open Saturday with an obvious forecast high of 59 (when it likely won’t open at all due to the temperature), just adds to their PR issues.  With no fireworks on a Holiday weekend and the postponement of the dance party on June 10 due to the new 8pm closure, people will be very disappointed.  People plan their vacations around the published calendar hours and published events.  Between KI and CP shrinking their calendars/hours/events, it has definitely been a PR nightmare.   Will be interesting to see when Grand Carnival rolls around, what, if any, calendar changes happen.  Hopefully, people will vote with their wallets on how acceptable all these changes have been to them.

25 minutes ago, Winterfestguy said:

It does seem obvious that management is a bit scrambled on the closure messages and updating the appropriate sites (likely because IT only works 8-5pm, and the announcement was sent after they went home, which is no excuse - management should be able to coordinate better).  And to make matters worse announcing Soak City will open Saturday with an obvious forecast high of 59 (when it likely won’t open at all due to the temperature), just adds to their PR issues.  With no fireworks on a Holiday weekend and the postponement of the dance party on June 10 due to the new 8pm closure, people will be very disappointed.  People plan their vacations around the published calendar hours and published events.  Between KI and CP shrinking their calendars/hours/events, it has definitely been a PR nightmare.   Will be interesting to see when Grand Carnival rolls around, what, if any, calendar changes happen.  Hopefully, people will vote with their wallets on how acceptable all these changes have been to them.

Yeah because it takes what 30 seconds to post a quick tweet and FB post LOL.  And I would expect the salaried PR folks control those sites and not IT.  Plus the email came out before 5pm.

Screenshots of the email sent out made its way to fan based social media sites within minutes, you know because it literally takes no time.

The app will take more time because they do not have the app pulling data from a server (benefit being you can be offline and see everything but ride times), and the app needs to be actually updated and pushed out through Google and Apple and some will either miss it before the weekend due to the rollout schedule or the person doesn't update apps quickly.

And the website shouldn't be that hard either...

1 minute ago, silver2005 said:

Is it rational to be nervous about CF as a whole right now?  Between the events last Saturday at KI, the disaster going on at Sandusky, and the negligence I see with how they're running KD, I am starting to feel that way. 

Perhaps an overreaction. Parks are packed. But take a look around. Southwest flight attendant got her teeth knocked out the other day. I don't think that industry is doomed, rather things are picking up just like KI. But a-holes everywhere. Some would say such behavior has been rewarded the past 12-18 months, but I won't go there...lol. I think it's going to take awhile for everyone to re-learn how to behave in public, but I still see a roaring economy moving forward.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Is it rational to be nervous about CF as a whole right now?  

CF has handled the last year fairly poorly.  Late closing, seemingly no motivate to try anything new, late openings, etc. All while parks around them are doing anything to stay open.  And, it's paying off because those other parks are open.  Many Six Flags went daily this week while CP cut days. Oh well. Sure things swing the other way down the road.

21 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Is it rational to be nervous about CF as a whole right now?  Between the events last Saturday at KI, the disaster going on at Sandusky, and the negligence I see with how they're running KD, I am starting to feel that way. 

Ouimet dumped about 90% of his FUN Units on May 10th for about 11 million.  Make of that what you will.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/811532/000081153221000093/xslF345X03/wf-form4_162076519763302.xml

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

The fact that they announced this hours ago and the app still isn’t updated just shows how they don’t have their ducks in a row. This needs to be communicated out, and even if everyone were informed earlier today it would have been too late. 

And here I just got notified of apps available for update and KI was one of them, but sadly it was for an update on 5/24 that just rolled out to me, so even if they updated the app today with the new hours, it could very well not rollout through Google or Apple until someone has already traveled here!