KI Modifies Park Hours for Memorial Day Weekend to June 10th

chad_1138

7 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Ouimet dumped about 90% of his FUN Units on May 10th for about 11 million.  Make of that what you will.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/811532/000081153221000093/xslF345X03/wf-form4_162076519763302.xml

Probably getting divorced...bahaha. Totally kidding, but who knows? Thanks for posting that---it is noteworthy for sure.

• Haha 1

I'm very nervous about Cedar Fair. The rapidly disappearing calendar while nearly every other competitor is increasing theirs is bad enough, but a lot of the in-park decisions make it even more concerning. And likely no major investment, even at the large parks, is on the horizon in the near term. 

3 minutes ago, JimParker85 said:

I'm very nervous about Cedar Fair. The rapidly disappearing calendar while nearly every other competitor is increasing theirs is bad enough, but a lot of the in-park decisions make it even more concerning. And likely no major investment, even at the large parks, is on the horizon in the near term. 

It appears that every park that opened prior to CF parks this year demonstrated pent up demand with increased attendance over prior year historical data and as such provided more opportunities for guests to visit.

CF board should have seen that and predicted that their parks would see similar results.  Heck, many of us here were saying that before the parks opened.

Now we see the CF parks open to darn near record daily numbers and no end in site and what do they do, cut the hours...

Unfortunately, despite this, I still envision that the per day average will be up substantially over prior years, thus allowing the board to continue down this path - "look we cut hours and cut days and had record attendance on a per day basis, what can we cut next year".

The August season pass renewal period will be telling...

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Unfortunately, despite this, I still envision that the per day average will be up substantially over prior years, thus allowing the board to continue down this path - "look we cut hours and cut days and had record attendance on a per day basis, what can we cut next year".

@KingsIslandPR would be a good place to start.

• Like 1

I am shocked that Kings Island has been dead silent on their social media channels since the events the unfolded on Saturday. They only posted that one Orion photo shoot picture on Monday. Kings Island usually posts at least once if not multiple times a day.

I feel bad that the dance event is being held off on as well, feels exactly like what i saw as a concern someone mentioned previously, KI knee jerk reacting to the events that they implied were not the result of staffing issues, rather a fluke event. 

Honestly I'm disappointed that they all so suddenly dropped this change without any immediate communication so far, because it affects plans that may already be in place for some and others who cannot rebook, reschedule, or cancel.

Personally I was planning a family trip to Kings Island for the 5th and 6th but i am now reconsidering this and possibly going to another park now. Truthfully the back pedaling that's kinda obviously going to come from the park now with these reductions in park operating hours for the whole of attending patrons is frustrating and unfair and could be seen as even more of an overstep than having a chaperone policy implemented. 

My own parents have been regular visitors of the park since the 80's, and I've continued to share their interest in the park as I grew up, and more recently it's disappointing that issue like these have begun to crop up and i wish the park would just approach it proactively, ensuring the least amount of impact on guests. It's already been stated that an increased police presence would be present in the park, so, why go so far as to rush schedule changes, especially if the park maintains the standpoint that they are not expieriencing issues with staffing and furthermore with it being this close to the days that these changes will affect.

13 hours ago, disco2000 said:

True, I am sure some of these reservations are now within the no cancel window.

The parks are certainly being put to the test early.  

And no matter what they do, someone is going to be unhappy.

First nights deposit non refundable if less than 3 days from check-in. I'd lose $467 even if I canceled yesterday. 3-7 days would have been $100, 8+ would have been $50.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Benjamin22 said:

I mean the likely reason for the cut hours is due to the wage increases, which was caused by insufficient staffing. Doesn’t mean the park lied about anything.

My take on it was the decreased hours are to prevent another security situation while they sort everything out. I'd bet money the Mason police recommended the temporary change. I'm sure they've been able to hire more security but it's going to take a couple weeks to get things on track in that regard. I don't have any inside information obviously so I could totally be wrong that's just what I'm thinking.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ldhudsonjr said:

My take on it was the decreased hours are to prevent another security situation while they sort everything out. I'd bet money the Mason police recommended the temporary change. I'm sure they've been able to hire more security but it's going to take a couple weeks to get things on track in that regard. I don't have any inside information obviously so I could totally be wrong that's just what I'm thinking.

I agree with all that. I just think it would come off better if they would publicly say that instead of... nothing. Still nothing on social about the time change, and website says nothing other than if you go through all the steps to get to the calendar, that’s been updated. No banner or notice on the hone page. 

6 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

I agree with all that. I just think it would come off better if they would publicly say that instead of... nothing. Still nothing on social about the time change, and website says nothing other than if you go through all the steps to get to the calendar, that’s been updated. No banner or notice on the hone page. 

I hear you. I got an email from them about it and just happened to see it, otherwise I wouldn't have even known lol.

If they don't talk about it, it didn't happen right...

And I agree, if the reason has to do with the incidents this past weekend, I think many would agree that the park should state that they are closing early to better monitor the situation until they can staff up security in the parking lot or add additional lighting in the parking lot (long needed) or whatever else.  That would go a long way towards mitigating what most are assuming the reason for the early close is and badmouthing the park on social media...transparency is key in today's society.

Certainly they knew before yesterday that they would be understaffed as they claim...unless it is for another reason.

I guess at this point they will just let the guests hear the park close announcement at 8pm since it still isn't on their social media feeds.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Maybe the 8pm close is only for season pass holders and general admission gets to stay until 10pm :P

Seriously thought that. They think that maybe pushing that message out only to pass holders, it will avoid an “after work” rush on Friday and minimize late afternoon arrivals on Sat, then by not putting it out there too much, they can “extend” the day if all is going well to keep the rack rate paying guests happy. Will be interesting to see if that’s how it plays out. There has to be a strategy behind this. 

13 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

There has to be a strategy behind this. 

Unfortunately, I think the strategy was to change the hours and only tell the people that will be upset the most and hope no one else notices the change. 

I hope I am wrong for the parks sake for if I am right, that was a terrible plan. I am one of the parks biggest supporters. Not only here, but on social media as KIC. Having been the media director for KIC for many years, the lack of communication from the park has been very disappointing. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

So sorry @PatchesC what did you end up deciding to do?

We're still going, but probably going to spend more time at GWL doing thing than we planned. Ropedrop a few things and at least get counted for capacity in case they have that happen again, head back to hotel to eat and swim, then a few hours towards evening. I'm not going to count on being able to get food.

• Like 3