KI Modifies Park Hours for Memorial Day Weekend to June 10th

chad_1138

Sheesh i mean even a news station can get the information out before the park can. There's definitely going to be a lot of angry guests at guest services come Friday 

Ironically the latest tweet reply from the parks Twitter says there isn't a change in operating hours and was tweeted a day before they changed operating hours *facepalm*

• Like 3

They are testing the customers' patience at this point. They cut hours when they have a full green light from the state and said they were fully staffed.

If this is going on at other CF parks, they are not acting like a company that has to pay back a billion dollar loan in four years.

Herschend- if you want to be a big player, start planning your move.

• Like 1

I just don’t understand why Kings Island’s social media has been so dormant. They used to post multiple times a day, and now they are posting nothing. All they need to do is say they are adjusting the hours and move on. It is just so strange how they are posting nothing at all. If none of the craziness had happened, they would probably be hyping up the new Area 72 Launch Party all week.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I just don’t understand why Kings Island’s social media has been so dormant. They used to post multiple times a day, and now they are posting nothing. All they need to do is say they are adjusting the hours and move on.

I don't know how much you guys were keeping tabs on it, but the same thing happened when they yoinked a bunch of days from CP's operating calendar. People figured it out HOURS before there was any mention from the park about it. In addition to that the website still showed the park being open those days, you just couldn't make reservations for the park or the hotels. People were @ing them on twitter and they just didn't respond. I get that they probably wanted time to coalesce around a message before saying anything but I think it just ****ed a lot of people off. You bring up the point about Social Media being dormant and it makes me wonder if they've been told to just kind of leave those accounts alone for a while until all this blows over lol.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ldhudsonjr said:

You bring up the point about Social Media being dormant and it makes me wonder if they've been told to just kind of leave those accounts alone for a while until all this blows over lol.

My guess as well. Or they were hoping the news wouldn’t pick up on it (their statement came from the email).  I think they’d rather have people not know and deal with it this weekend than give the perception that the park is not safe at night. 

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Look at the bright side! At least the app is now updated… less than 24 hours before the park opens for the weekend.

man that's really cool you got an update a day before the affected days are *facepalm* 

I'm on a google pixel 3xl and haven't been pushed any updates yet :(
Goes to show that plenty of guests aren't gonna have their apps updated in time. Guess we should all grab some popcorn and watch the show ensue at guest services lmao

6 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Unfortunately, I think the strategy was to change the hours and only tell the people that will be upset the most and hope no one else notices the change. 

I hope I am wrong for the parks sake for if I am right, that was a terrible plan. I am one of the parks biggest supporters. Not only here, but on social media as KIC. Having been the media director for KIC for many years, the lack of communication from the park has been very disappointing. 

Sounds like you should have that resume polished up given still no updates :P

No ticker on the website, nothing on Facebook or Twitter, it is just buried in the schedule on the website and for some the app has been updated and an email to some passholders...

If the strategy is "hey we put out a guest advisory that park is at capacity, but we still let folks in but it probably kept some from making the drive over, so let's send out an email to the passholders saying we close at 8pm to keep crowds down, but we will stay open til 10pm" will certainly blow up in their face.

Once upon a time they used to say to follow their twitter and FB feeds for the most up to the minute happenings...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I shouldn't be surprised...but I am. I can't believe they cut hours on a holiday weekend less than 48 hours in advance. 

Wonder what they are doing for the paying ticketholders that got bait-and-switched?

The fact that it was an email only and they aren't actively getting the message out is....sad.  I've said it before and I'll continue to beat that drum, but Senior management is a joke and the lot of them needs to be replaced.  

Far too many bonehead moves to give them the benefit of the doubt or my money any longer.

I just want to say it's glorious to see some of the same people arguing about why the park should not open at all in 2020 or moaning about this rule and that, are now in May 2021 getting all fussy about the park closing 2 hours early.  :-)

And I mean that genuinely. It's a beautiful thing, I love it! 

*** IT COULD BE MUCH WORSE ***

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I think everyone has shared their opinions. The park opens up for daily operations tomorrow.  Let's celebrate the park being open and hope they can return to longer hours and not loose any more!

Edit: @bjcolglazier I don't think anyone was complainig about the hours themselves, but how the park handled the communication of the change.

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Looks like they finally remembered the Twitter account password and posted something :P

“Don’t forget that Kings Island opens for daily operations with hours from 11-8 tonight through June [whatever]!”

aka 

“No, dad, that dent has always been in your car. I didn’t hit anything!” 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Let actual customers complain if it's a real issue. You don't have to complain on their behalf before the weekend has even played out.

I mean I genuinely dont believe anyone was complaining, more a group of people discussing possibilities and speculating as to why things are the way they are, which can be very entertaining, its not as if anyone is directly dragging the park for reducing the hours, more so that we wanna know whats going on to cause them to backpedal from stating originally that they didn't have staffing issues as they reported on "fight night", to now stating that they do have staffing issues and need to reduce hours because of it. I mean its clear this was a sudden shift as the park even tweeted a day before they posted the schedule change responding to someone saying, "Hours have not changed. Our next operating day is this Friday."

The seriously unfortunate side affect of the parks schedule change is that night rides wont be able to happen, nor fireworks, nor the area 72 DJ dance party, so a change in schedule this sudden does has more of an impact on any single guest beyond the two hour reduction on in park time, so it can be understandable why people are disappointed that the park isn't giving the courtesy to guests to communicate that changes have been made to things that they may have originally planed to come to the park to enjoy.

While the park is entitled to hold their operating schedule to whatever standards and policies they want as they're a business and that's how this works, its generally just expected that the park communicates with guests about things such as this, especially when it impacts features that would normally come with the price of admission.

TLDR: People aren't upset that there has been a reduction in hours due to staffing, they're upset the park didn't properly communicate that the change happened at all.

• Like 4

So did anyone get an email that said this or is this typical media misinterpretation:  "In an email to season pass holders, the park said daily operations will run from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. until June 10. After that date, the park will be open from 11 a.m. until 10 p.m."

The calendar has shown since it was published that 10pm daily would start June 25th and the current modified calendar still shows that...

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/local/ohio/kings-island-shortening-hours-due-to-staffing-issues-offering-more-than-50-full-time-positions/530-fda4f07a-a110-46ff-8c77-cede2bb73611

Wow, simply amazing what extents the park will go to not just address the schedule change. They seriously just blocked my main twitter account for reposting the drake meme in their comments section of the food post. Yeeeeeeeesh obviously someone at the park is pretty sour about this one lmao

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bwb.32 said:

Wow, simply amazing what extents the park will go to not just address the schedule change. They seriously just blocked my main twitter account for reposting the drake meme in their comments section of the food post. Yeeeeeeeesh obviously someone at the park is pretty sour about this one lmao

Time to use your secondary twitter account:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Time to use your secondary twitter account:P

HA too bad you're late to the punch, as soon as I saw I got blocked I swung back with my ALT and called them out for blocking me for a harmless and non profane meme about their shortcomings. 

Honestly the best part is that blocking me accomplished nothing because the meme still shows up for every single other person who looks in the comments of that post lol

24 minutes ago, Bwb.32 said:

42C056D1-D7C0-4BBB-9254-E47C95412917.jpeg

• Haha 2

Guess what...just as many of us predicted...the park calendar now changed to show Soak City NOT opening tomorrow...where is a tweet or FB post about this change?  Hopefully at the very least they notified those that had reservations!  Will the 2 hours be added back now :P

image.png

I was at Carowinds today and had generally a good time. They have arguably even less staff (considering the water park wasn’t even a slated to open and hold rusher had literally 2 people operating it today, 1 doing controls and 1 doing seat checks) and even they stayed open until 9. 

I am very disappointed in King’s Island’s recent theme of cutting hours. I remember there being tons of 10pm closes and some 12am ones. Guess we prolly aren’t going to get those either...

On 5/27/2021 at 8:26 PM, Bwb.32 said:

It's pretty common. 2 years ago I was blocked for asking the attached.

I know it is easier to just ignore having to answer difficult questions but that's the exact reason PR is there to handle these things. Take a look at Universals Twitter, they respond to SO MANY tweets 

Screenshot_20210530-000639_Dropbox.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MrSourNinja said:

I was at Carowinds today and had generally a good time. They have arguably even less staff (considering the water park wasn’t even a slated to open and hold rusher had literally 2 people operating it today, 1 doing controls and 1 doing seat checks) and even they stayed open until 9. 

I am very disappointed in King’s Island’s recent theme of cutting hours. I remember there being tons of 10pm closes and some 12am ones. Guess we prolly aren’t going to get those either...

The problem with operating at those kind is staffing levels is that people just won’t have a good time. Carowinds was probably less crowded when you visited than Kings Island, so it may have been enjoyable. We have seen guests complain of Kings Island and Cedar Point staffing issues, and at least both parks are trying to correct these problems. Kings Island probably had to cut hours because the employees they have cannot work more than a certain number of hours in a week due to labor laws. Now that weekday operations have started, they cannot have all workers work long days everyday like they would have been able to the first few weekends of operation. Cedar Point was probably short many more employees, so they had to actually cut operating days and hours to prevent the employees they had from working too many hours once weekday operations began. 

Also, can an arrow mine train actually operate with only two employees? I believe you, but I have never seen only one employee checking restraints.

• Like 1