2021 Royal Finale

BoddaH1994

Before I start, let’s get this out of the way. Yeah, I know, no shows until mid June because of the hours change blah blah blah. There’s already a thread for that. 

For those of you who were fortunately enough to catch one of the shows, they truly did blow it out of the water.  This time  they used an instrumental song by the very talented Lindsay Sterling.  I feel like each year the show gets a little better. My favorite song they’ve used was “Greatest Show” but looking back at the actual lighting it almost seems amateur compared to what followed. 

The show will return with the 10:00 closes on June 18th.  I really think that if you haven’t seen it yet it’s something to really look forward to this year! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In 19 the music and lighting were not highly synchronized.   Last year it was much better.  It’s improving each year.  The new fountains and lightning are capable of a spectacular show when the programmer has an ear for music. 

• Like 3

I still feel like the fountain needs to be calmed down and “grander” during the day with more simple displays, that way they have more “tricks to pull out” at the end. Even if the “middle squiggle” wasn’t even used except for the show, or very minimally. There’s just too much bouncing around all the time for me. And PLEASE decide on the “finger jets” angle. They don’t add a lot just being basically straight like the jet beside it. I wish they had much more of an arc to the center so they added a truly different layer. I agree it getting better and better, and I like that the lighting extends throughout the park now, but I preferred Greatest Show or even last year song. Not sure why they have to change song every year. Maybe rights? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brenthodge said:

I still feel like the fountain needs to be calmed down and “grander” during the day with more simple displays, that way they have more “tricks to pull out” at the end. Even if the “middle squiggle” wasn’t even used except for the show, or very minimally. There’s just too much bouncing around all the time for me. And PLEASE decide on the “finger jets” angle. They don’t add a lot just being basically straight like the jet beside it. I wish they had much more of an arc to the center so they added a truly different layer. I agree it getting better and better, and I like that the lighting extends throughout the park now, but I preferred Greatest Show or even last year song. Not sure why they have to change song every year. Maybe rights? 

I agree with the daytime sentiments, although I wouldn't say that it needs to be calmed down.  I think it needs to be more grand.  I appreciate the new jets for what they are, but during the day, they are just gimmicky.  (my bias is team pedestal, but that is over!).  The pattern just cycles and tries to be a Bellagio and it is not.  Make the patterns more "royal" to go with the European theme, like KD does.  And while they are at it, last year and this year (unless it has changed from passholder weekend), the music on IS is remakes of pop songs into instrumental.  Better than pre 2017, but it's odd.  Bring back the 2017-2019 playlist!  Or even better, music for each country.  

Agree with all points. And I guess “calm” and “grand” are the same. That’s what I was trying to say. They come off as cheap little squirts without the lighting. Honestly I think they should make the 6 down the center big, thick fleur de lis pattern jets, and make the finger jets a true arc to the center from each side.  Those changes coupled with the thinner vertical jets along the sides could be enough if they slowly cross faded and combined among those 3. Slow the whole thing down and don’t  even use the squiggle during the day

• Like 1

I like how Kings Island has synced up The Racer and Orion with the Royal Finale too. I also noticed the lighting on the trees in Coney Mall are synced up with the show, but I am not sure about the lighting on the other trees in the park. I agree that the song choice is not my favorite out of the ones they have had in the past, but the show itself is the best it’s ever been in my opinion.

16 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I like how Kings Island has synced up The Racer and Orion with the Royal Finale too. I also noticed the lighting on the trees in Coney Mall are synced up with the show, but I am not sure about the lighting on the other trees in the park. I agree that the song choice is not my favorite out of the ones they have had in the past, but the show itself is the best it’s ever been in my opinion.

Agree. I love that it’s becoming a “whole park” experience, and now with the launch party, it’s going even deeper into the park. Would be cool if they could actually add a few  fountains to diamond back lake to extend the show back there and maybe even convert one of the longer planters in coney to a fountain. That would add during the day, and could tie in at night as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Agree. I love that it’s becoming a “whole park” experience, and now with the launch party, it’s going even deeper into the park. Would be cool if they could actually add a few  fountains to diamond back lake to extend the show back there and maybe even convert one of the longer planters in coney to a fountain. That would add during the day, and could tie in at night as well. 

Like this one? Although at one time I thought this was a fountain?

PXL_20210531_182953850.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Agree with all points. And I guess “calm” and “grand” are the same. That’s what I was trying to say. They come off as cheap little squirts without the lighting. Honestly I think they should make the 6 down the center big, thick fleur de lis pattern jets, and make the finger jets a true arc to the center from each side.  Those changes coupled with the thinner vertical jets along the sides could be enough if they slowly cross faded and combined among those 3. Slow the whole thing down and don’t  even use the squiggle during the day

You put into words exactly what my mind pictured.  You have so many great ideas.  

12 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Since Coney Mall is supposed to be themed to Cincinnati's Coney Island, why not recreate a modern version of the fountain that was there from 1965 - 1971.

Top photo: Coney Island Central

71ci230cc_40693987251_o.jpg

Bottom photo: Cincinnati Views 

Fountain -Coney Island-1.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, disco2000 said:

^ It sure is.

That planter was added for winter fest a few years ago when they moved the “psychedelic tree” there. It was bricked the following season, but that may have been where a fountain was. I remember that the center of the round seating areas/planters  did have fountains at one time. But I’d love to see that little planter become a grander fountain and move the big winter fest tree back to the seating area right behind it. 

And that was located just a stones throw away from that location.  The next planter area towards Antique Autos from that planter used to have a fountain in the middle of it.  There also used to be a fountain on the front side of Outer Hanks, prior to its conversion to Bubba Gump.

5 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

They used to have a fountain that was flush with the ground. Similar to a splash park in today’s world.

Ok thank you. After I posted that I thought maybe I imagined it, but you just described exactly what I remember. With a burried reservoir and a grate around the nozzle. There was one similar in front of festhaus as well. Wonder when these went in as they weren’t original based on old pics of the coney area n

4 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Ok thank you. After I posted that I thought maybe I imagined it, but you just described exactly what I remember. With a burried reservoir and a grate around the nozzle. There was one similar in front of festhaus as well. Wonder when these went in as they weren’t original based on old pics of the coney area n

I did not find any pics of them in the KIC galleries.