Indiana Beach Expands Hours

3 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I got this email earlier from Indiana Beach, They are expanding hours starting this weekend. I am a little confused by this because comments on their Facebook page seem to suggest they are having issues getting help as well. 

Screenshot_20210617-171638.png

I think Cedar Fair is taking a more cautious approach with their calendars than Indiana Beach. Cedar Fair is only opening for days and hours they know they will have appropriate staffing. In the beginning of the season, Cedar Fair was not doing this, but they got a lot of negative attention for being understaffed. Now, Cedar Fair has limited park operating days and hours to ensure they are appropriately staffed, and guests are now mad that they are limiting hours. Parks like Six Flags and Indiana Beach seem to be operating beyond their means. Many of these parks don’t have enough staff to do so, but I guess they don’t care and are doing it anyways.

• Like 2

Two different approaches, and in both instances, attendance is still doing well for all the parks.

Time will tell if one approach over the other has a negative impact on attendance in coming years, or if the GP has short-term memories and none of the chains suffer from guests taking their discretionary dollar elsewhere next year based on the experiences from this year...

Indiana Beach uses outside vendors for most food stands and shops so they do not really have to make sure there is enough staff on hand for that. It can go to other areas like rides. Maybe this is why I thought the food in park was terrible and maybe not. I just walk across the bridge then across the parking lot, cross the road and eat and have drinks at a really yummy place called Wine and Whiskey Saloon. 

8 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Just a little different approach!

Time will tell which approach results in return visitors next year.  Or maybe both ways still results in record attendance next year...

I think Indiana Beach can get away with this approach way better than a Cedar Fair Park could.

I would personally be okay of some flats got shut down to be able to have 10:00 p.m. closings at KI. Other customers of theirs may not agree. 

True, a single ride goes down at a CF park and FB users lose their mind LOL.

Whatever approach is done, someone will be infuriated by it.  

Move park hours from 1pm to 10pm and those that like to go early will be mad.

The different closings of rides makes some sense if it means longer opening hours, but even a well publicized schedule and people will still go and be infuriated.

Parks are in a tough situation this year, more so than previous years. 

• Like 2

The two Six Flags parks I've been to so far this season have been well staffed. I think they got the jump on Cedar Fair by announcing operating calendars early, thus being able to staff up more confidently. They've offered SIGNIFICANTLY more value to their passholders during this entire pandemic and have ADDED hours vs their pre 2020 offerings at several major and minor parks. As someone who has both Platinum CF and Diamond Elite VIP SF, it's easy to spot the difference. Cedar Fair is operating almost like they don't want to be open. The Carowinds and KD calendars, in particular, are pathetic, and hours are in danger of being cut at all times. Whether it was starting late or not having the right approach to hiring overall, a noticeable gap has opened between the two chains in terms of availability, at least in my opinion. 

I'd love a 1300-2200 operating day at KI.  

I think the vast majority of people who "vow to never come back" will be back.  And the ones who don't will make an entirely more pleasant experience for the rest who do.

I am also of the mind that a steep rise in price of a gold/platinum pass, meal plan and drink plan is in order.  You may see a decreased volume of passes sold, but an increase in loyalty from a better experience.  

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I'd love a 1300-2200 operating day at KI.  

I think the vast majority of people who "vow to never come back" will be back.  And the ones who don't will make an entirely more pleasant experience for the rest who do.

I am also of the mind that a steep rise in price of a gold/platinum pass, meal plan and drink plan is in order.  You may see a decreased volume of passes sold, but an increase in loyalty from a better experience.  

Look at Disney to see what an increase in pass and add ons do. It just keeps the people out who can not afford it. Sure it leaves a lot of the low income and riff raff out but according to some nasty facebook and reddit arguments I see those people deserve to get to go just as much as anyone else. So other than increasing prices slowly to adjust for inflation I do not know what the right answer is.