Camp Cedar Opening

mikejenkins1

At least the article finally says this "Small Brothers and Terra Firma, the joint owners of Camp Cedar" and  "As the property manager, Kings Island is not responsible for the construction or completion of Camp Cedar."

Not that anyone will pay attention to that or recognize that it is not owned by KI.

I guess there is always next year.

3 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

At least the article finally says this "Small Brothers and Terra Firma, the joint owners of Camp Cedar" and  "As the property manager, Kings Island is not responsible for the construction or completion of Camp Cedar."

Not that anyone will pay attention to that or recognize that it is not owned by KI.

Means nothing. Everyone will think it’s KI. It’s unfortunately but unavoidable. Plus I don’t think people really care that much. Remember when the Kentucky Kingdom incident happened and everyone thought it was Drop Tower?  Information going through a 3rd, 4th, 5th party… rarely has great info. 

• Like 1

I wonder what kind of construction delays they are facing.  Especially since this is the second time they have had to push the opening.  And to not list a new opening date.  

I wonder what kind of management agreement they have with KI to operate the property.  Ie, are they paying KI a flat fee, or is KI getting a flat fee plus a percentage of the sales.

I think it's very interesting, specifically, that Chad Showalter, speaking on behalf of the park, made it very clear twice that it is two different distinct entities.  I don't remember them trumpeting that fact earlier on (maybe they did, though).  It can't be a real good situation for there to be some very obvious finger-pointing going on.  Hopefully they can get the project back on track.

31 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

2 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Early on it made sense to let the public assume they were one in the same.

But given all the issues KI has had with staffing, reduced hours, fights, etc, it was time to distance themselves from this delay.

And they will go back to one in the same once they open.  Nothing about this is off from how I would have handled it.  I mean, I guess maybe setting more realistic expectations the first time around if they could would have been nice. But yeah, “THEY are having construction delays” in the same breath as “WE are opening a camping resort” is pretty typical in the industry. 

• 4 weeks later...

My family and I were fortunate to have a reservation for the opening day. All of the employees could not have been nicer or more helpful. The “cabin” that we stayed in was also very nice. (I do question the wisdom of having white walls & a light beige couch…neither seem very convenient to try and keep clean…but they look great right now!)

I hope the place does well…and I think it will.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1