Is a new attraction coming?

gforce1994

5 hours ago, AtomicFlea said:

COMPLETELY DISAGREED!

2 hours ago, AtomicFlea said:

It's just plain wrong.

Thanks.

If you are going to make statements like these, please include your reasoning with it. Additional opinions and ideas are what make the forums fun and interesting.

• Like 3

if that is a teaser, then good on them; we'll find out with time on our side. 

I don't think we'll see a new major attraction teaser until at least 2024 or 2025, we've been spoiled the past 6 years (2014, 2017, 2020), despite the net going down one (from 12 major coasters to 11) (-Vortex, -Firehawk, +Orion). Kind of going off of the 20 year theory (where KI is 20 years behind CP) 

1989 - Magnum -> 2009 - Diamondback

1994 - Raptor -> 2014 - Banshee

2000 - Millie -> 2020 - Orion

No Impulse or Strata of course! Kind of interesting, but we'll see what comes next!

In Kings Island: A Ride Through Time, Mike Koontz mentioned how he wanted to add something to Planet Snoopy and Soak City before replacing Vortex. We know 2022 is going to solely be focused on Kings Island’s 50th Anniversary. If what Mike Koontz said is still the plan, 2023 could very well be a Planet Snoopy addition/overhaul or a Soak City addition/overhaul. 2024 could be whatever doesn’t come in 2023. So I think 2025 might be the next big coaster. Kings Island could also just add something small to both Planet Snoopy and Soak City in one year like with what Canada’s Wonderland did for 2020. However, a lot of people (myself included) would like to see Planet Snoopy and Soak City get a lot of love (some TLC would be nice). That being said, plans change. Maybe Kings Island wants to focus on even more areas before investing in a new coaster. Maybe Kings Island feels the need to build a new coaster sooner. Those are all definitely possibilities, but here is what I am thinking:

2022 - 50th Anniversary Celebration

2023 - Planet Snoopy OR Soak City Investment

2024 - Whatever Does Not Come in 2023

2025 - New Coaster

Alternate Timeline:

2023 - Small Planet Snoopy AND Soak City Investment

2024 - New Coaster

• Like 3

^^if that is the case, what I'd love to see for Soak City is similar to what KD did. I really like KD's beach street thing where they had food trucks, nice seating with patio style lighting overhead and a live music stage. They have something similar at Camp Cedar and I would love something like that to make its way over to our Soak City. In terms of Snoopy, I think Whirlybirds should honestly go and they should add one of those playgrounds that Carowinds Camp Snoopy has. Also, I remember hearing about a survey awhile back about an indoor dining facility in PS that features kids entertainment. If that is true, I could definitely see that being the next thing added to Snoopy. In terms of rides added to snoopy, I think one of those balloon rides would be a good fit for the area.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

^^if that is the case, what I'd love to see for Soak City is similar to what KD did. I really like KD's beach street thing where they had food trucks, nice seating with patio style lighting overhead and a live music stage. They have something similar at Camp Cedar and I would love something like that to make its way over to our Soak City. In terms of Snoopy, I think Whirlybirds should honestly go and they should add one of those playgrounds that Carowinds Camp Snoopy has. Also, I remember hearing about a survey awhile back about an indoor dining facility in PS that features kids entertainment. If that is true, I could definitely see that being the next thing added to Snoopy. In terms of rides added to snoopy, I think one of those balloon rides would be a good fit for the area.  

I think Planet Snoopy just needs a complete refresh. A new restaurant would be nice for sure. Things like pavers would go a long way too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

2023 - Planet Snoopy OR Soak City Investment

2024 - Whatever Does Not Come in 2023

2025 - New Coaster

Alternate Timeline:

2023 - Small Planet Snoopy AND Soak City Investment

2024 - New Coaster

I think your first timeline looks good. I could see a new restaurant coming in 2024, which would be awesome. But yeah, 2024/2025 would be the earliest I'd start speculating about any new major attractions 

• Like 1

I do like the Planet Snoopy overhaul in 2023 rather than Soak City.  It makes more sense to add that area along with an indoor restaurant / show area sooner rather than later especially with the success of Winterfest.  

My ideal buildout would be:

1. Move the existing Flyers over to Coney Mall.  It gives an additional family flat in that area of the park.
  2. I agree that is probably time for the Whirlybirds to go.  They could remake that area a bit and it would probably save on maintenance costs as well.
  3. Add some additional family flats like the Whirlybirds teacup ride other parks have.
  4. The dining area can go where the existing petting zoo is.  They can move the Peanuts show that is in the KI Theater during Winterfest and put another show there.

Then it would make sense to do Soak City in '24 which is likely a cheaper buffer year for the new coaster in '25.

It sounds like Knott's is getting a new coaster very soon and I would expect CP to get their next coaster in '23.

• Like 3

My timeline is:

2023: Planet Snoopy upgrades with new dining facility - Congo Falls leaves

2024: Soak City expansion - slingshot goes where Congo is - 2 story German lodge restaurant goes where slingshot currently sits

2025: new flat ride in crypt building - new 2 story building on international street

2026: new coaster - Invertigo leaves

2027: 3 new flat rides (1 where Invertigo is and 2 in Area 72)

• Like 4

On 1/29/2022 at 11:13 AM, Coasterteam said:

I don't think we'll see a new major attraction teaser until at least 2024 or 2025, we've been spoiled the past 6 years (2014, 2017, 2020), despite the net going down one (from 12 major coasters to 11) (-Vortex, -Firehawk, +Orion).

I don't really get this attitude. No offense to you of course, but we haven't been spoiled. They saw an investment opportunity in the park and decided to pursue it. Hell, getting a coaster every single year isn't being spoiled if the feel the investment is worth it. They wouldn't have added those coasters if they didn't think they would make money off of them. If they added coasters thinking they wouldn't make money off of them, then you could argue that is being spoiled.

The past additions should not dictate future additions. Only what it is that you currently have and the possibility of making more $$$.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, MrSourNinja said:

I don't really get this attitude. No offense to you of course, but we haven't been spoiled. They saw an investment opportunity in the park and decided to pursue it. Hell, getting a coaster every single year isn't being spoiled if the feel the investment is worth it. They wouldn't have added those coasters if they didn't think they would make money off of them. If they added coasters thinking they wouldn't make money off of them, then you could argue that is being spoiled.

The past additions should not dictate future additions. Only what it is that you currently have and the possibility of making more $$$.

Certainly not every year kind of spoiled, that I understand. I'm talking CF spoil. They seem to only do one major investment a year across all their parks. That and my post was mainly a theory, just a fun way of trying to predict what might come next. Certainly looking forward to whatever CF brings to the table next, especially with this SEAS bid on the table now. 

• Like 1

I was born in 77 and have lived around the park my entire life.  Ghoster Coaster is the 1 coaster coaster I have no recollection of.  It existed from 1998 thru 2005, which is probably the period of my life that I visited KI the least (would have been a junior in college at Dayton up thru living in the Cincy area then eventually back in the south Dayton area towards the later stages of his existence) but had no kids at the time, nor visiting the park with people who had kids so I likely didn't even enter PS during that time frame.  I know I was in the park during its existence because I definitely rode SOB its first year of existence, plus at least once (and I think more than once) post loop.  My son was born in 2008 and we started getting season passes as a family in 2010 and have had them since.

I've never been able to find a POV of this ride, would love to see it if anyone has a link.  I've seen the pics on RCDB, but that is about all I have.

anyhoo; I'd love to see a fire chaser express clone in PS, or at least something for the 44" or 46" plus crowd, another tweaner coaster for kids to short or too scared to ride The Racer or The Beast, but ready for something else besides FAAC or Woodstock Express.  Fire Chaser express is fabulous, but my be a maintenance headache and not worth the investment (or maybe it isn't a headache and totally worth the investment)  Relocate Linus' Beatle Bugs and use the space occupied by Planet Snoopy and the petting zoo/stage area.  A nice sit down resteraunt and a tweaner coaster plus some other improvements would put that area back up in line with what Dollywood built a few years ago at Wildwood Grove.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, medford said:

anyhoo; I'd love to see a fire chaser express clone in PS, or at least something for the 44" or 46" plus crowd, another tweaner coaster for kids to short or too scared to ride The Racer or The Beast, but ready for something else besides FAAC or Woodstock Express.  Fire Chaser express is fabulous, but my be a maintenance headache and not worth the investment (or maybe it isn't a headache and totally worth the investment)  Relocate Linus' Beatle Bugs and use the space occupied by Planet Snoopy and the petting zoo/stage area.  A nice sit down resteraunt and a tweaner coaster plus some other improvements would put that area back up in line with what Dollywood built a few years ago at Wildwood Grove.

I get down to Dollywood several times a year and wouldn't say that I have noticed a ton on maintenance issues with Firechaser.  Even if it does go down it is usually a quick fix.  Lightning Rod and Mystery Mine are much bigger maintenance issues there. 

I really enjoy Firechaser.  The only issue with Firechaser is that it is low capacity.  It only runs at max 14 per train so only 2 more than BLSC.  If they could figure out either running 4 trains or getting the capacity per train to 18 or 20 it would be a great fit for KI.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KIBeast said:

This is what I found on YouTube 

Ghoster Coaster

Thanks.  That ride looks like it would be really low capacity.

IIRC, it took them a lot of time to get Firechaser express up and running correctly, perhaps there are no maintenance issues since its been going.  Either way its a ton of fun.   Day I was there, it rained pretty good for a couple of hours early in the morning but once things cleared up the park was empty and everything was practically walkon.  Only had to wait a few min for Firechaser express at most, Wild Eagle was complete walkon with less than full trains dispatching.  Only thing with a semblance of a wait was Lightening Rod.

I do love Lightening Rod and thankful that it was open and running while we were there, worst thing a ride can be is unreliable; don't want a major attraction to be down when someone has traveled several hundred miles and doesn't get a chance to be on it.

• Like 2

I wonder if “Soul” is more about maintaining the existing rides they have. Getting into the “Soul” of them and making minor changes, or in some cases major ones to really get the rides where they need to be, to continue to pull people in well into the future.

I think of the work that has been done on Racer and the current work that is being done on Beast. I think all coasters and rides have souls, even though they aren’t really living things.

I think COVID has caused a major financial disruption in a lot of things. If you start looking at delays in raw materials and price increases, it may be beyond 2025 before we see anything significant in terms of a major new attraction.

• Like 1

I rode Ghoster Coaster way too many times with my oldest who is in his twenties now. I t was extremely low capacity but unique at the time. It was a tight fit with me being 6'4" and him in the seat...not the most comfortable position to be in to say the least! There were a couple hard brake stops at the end before the station if I remember correctly that were kinda brutal on a certain part of the body...ha!

• Like 1

I believe Scooby's Ghoster Coaster holds the distinction of being #2 on the list of shortest operational lifespan of all the coasters designed for KI.  The Bat being #1, of course.  (Bavarian Beetle actually operated 1 year less than SGC at KI, however it had a 2-year operational life at Cincinnati's Coney Island prior.  Also, like Firehawk, it wasn't uniquely designed for KI.) The irony is, both The Bat and Scooby's Ghoster Coaster featured bat-themed cars - and both fell under the "suspended coaster" design moniker.

Caipro had built two outdoor single rail coasters prior for parks in Europe.  However SGC was their first foray into the US market - and it was their intention to expand to numerous coasters across America and further develop the single rail technology to larger layouts.  That didn't happen.

Scooby's Ghoster Coaster was plagued with a huge challenge from the start... it was EXTREMELY low capacity.  If memory serves me, it only had 3 cars (each holding a max of 2 riders) Its main capacity issue stemmed from the fact that due to KI's operational requirements, a car could not enter the elevator lift until the preceding car had cleared a sensor located about 3/4 of the way through the course.  This meant that waits often surpassed an hour even on slow attendance days.  It also required an adult rider for kids that fell under a certain height.  I cant recall for sure, but I also think that (at least in the early years) adults could only ride with a child.  (I personally did not ride it until I was "sent" to help operate the ride and took a spin after hours.)  

As others have mentioned, the ride had a very abrupt ending - so much so a trim brake was used near the course's final turn to buffer the speed before the final stop.  But in addition to the abrupt ending, the coaster also suffered from a jarring effect as a result of the track style.  The track had a "fin rail" welded above and below the tube to help control the swinging of the ride.  Much like The Bat, that design caused a left/right jerking sensation when the coaster took an unbanked turn.  (There was one 90-degree curve that followed the 270-degree turn off the lift where this was most apparent.)  Overall, the ride had a very low rating on a multitude of levels - guest satisfaction, enjoyment, capacity etc. 

Caipro designed one other "Baflyer" for the US (Spellbreaker at Legoland in CA.)  That one lasted only 3 years even though it featured a dual track in order to curb the capacity issues SGC faced.   Soon after, Caipro fell bankrupt and was bought out by Vekoma.  So replacement parts/repair likely became an issue, and no doubt fed into its demise.  In 2001, Kings Island invested in another family suspended... ironically made by Vekoma... so that pretty much made SGC obsolete.

I've always heard the rumor that SGC was "stored" for a while at the park, which could be true I suppose, however I never saw it with my own eyes.  There are pictures online that claim to be the dis-assembled ride in storage, however none of the ones I saw show the unique tubular track design with the rail fins I described above.  I do know, however, that the themed bats from the top of the cars were retained and later sold at an in-house auction.  At least two are in the hands of a single collector.

Finally, the location of Scooby's Ghoster Coaster is always described as the current location of Snoopy's Surf Dog.  This is only partially accurate.  The facade/entrance to SGC was where the grassy area in front of Surf Dog now is.  There is a round games stand that is still located there - and it sat directly behind and to the side of that.  Surf Dogs spike - closest to the main midway - is essentially where the track lived.  It's final turn circled what is now the Snoopy's vs Red Baron ride, which at the time was called Dick Dastardly's Bi-Planes.  When Nick Universe was added, Boo-Boo's Baggage Claim (kiddie tumble bug) was removed and the Bi-Planes were relocated to that spot and re-themed.  

Fun fact - Adults constantly hit their heads on the wings of the overhead bats when loading/unloading.  So much so, signage was added and ops were required to warn them.

• Like 10

Thanks for all the info, @Shaggy. IIRC, I only rode Scooby's Ghoster Coaster once, and I remember the line being extremely long and (likely) slow moving. That being said, it was definitely unique.

I appreciate the video that @KIBeast linked above as it shows where exactly in the park it is. This gives me a good picture of where it was in relation to what's in that spot now (as in, I can picture where in the park the railway is as well as that lone game stand near Surf Dog).

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

What will happen in 2023?

I think it will either be no addition (more likely the longer we go with an announcement or teasers), or a flat ride or two.

I did a little review of Kings Island new attractions by year. Below are the years that Kings Island did not add a new attraction. There were new attractions in almost all pre-Paramount years, and every single year under Paramount. Cedar Fair has added attractions in 10 out of 16 years.

**For the purposes of this list a new show, new show venue, or re-theme without an added attraction is not considered a new attraction.**

No Attraction Added:

Currently we are in a two year drought which is probably the result of CF's debt taken on in 2020. If we're generous we can count Orion as a 2021 attraction given that 2020 understandably was not much of a season.

If there is no addition for 2023 are you disappointed? Has the recent removal of two coasters effected your expectations for future attractions? Does a lack of new additions effect your decision to go to the park, or buy a pass? Discuss :)

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, MrSourNinja said:

Looks more so like we are going 3 years in a row without an addition. This is very disappointing. 

2022 brought lots of new improvements around the park, I’d call that an addition; while still smaller than something like Orion in 2020 

Lots of rides painted, Beast retrack work, new Tower Gardens, plus some other stuff like new shows, parades, and food 

Plus not including this year basically is resetting the addition clock since the pandemic set everything back a year or two internally. So any 2023 addition likely will be 2024 or 2025

• Like 2

In addition to what year(s) a new attraction was not added to the KI lineup, consider the capital expenditures for each addition.

It's not cheap to add rides like DB, Banshee, MT, Orion, major Beast retrack/ redesign and the overall park beautification for 2022.

• Like 3