Is a new attraction coming?

gforce1994

I'd have to imagine the next addition to the park is in Planet Snoopy, I could see it being an overhaul into Camp Snoopy or something like that. I just think that they are going to try to reclaim the "Best Children's Park" award. Also, while I don't think it will be next year, I do think a new coaster is coming sooner rather than later. I've been OOTL for a while, but, last I remember the speculation was that KI's next coaster would be a Mack Multi-launch coaster in the old Vortex spot. Either way, hopefully we don't have to wait much longer!

• Like 5

I can see Planet Snoopy get some love soon too, maybe conversion to Camp Snoopy, but I think Oktoberfest might be next. The removal of Slingshot opens up lots of space for a new flat or possibly 2. If they aren’t major ones they could do a flat ride package that includes new rides in both even (kind of like Canadas Wonderland next year)

• Like 5

On 8/11/2022 at 10:22 AM, MrSourNinja said:

Just because it’s a new addition does not mean it’s an important one. 

Personally, I don’t watch the shows so no I didn’t enjoy it. Also, that show is replacing a show that already ran. So at best, it’s a small net positive if the show is better. 

As other posters have mentioned, most people go for the rides. For the things they cannot do anywhere else. I can go to plays in any town. I cannot ride rollercoasters or large flats in any town. 

Only 2 out of the last 6 years having additions is concerning any way you paint it. And with nothing being announced today my season pass is seriously up for question. That’s 2 platinum season passes might I add. 

They had a chance to win my $600+ on passes alone and they are losing that chance. There is definitely other things I can do with that money. 

Good thing they don’t ONLY market to you, and they have a lot of other customer profiles to pull from. Like you said-to each their own, but to imply the park is loosing total OVERALL revenue because you are pulling out isn’t maybe grasping their overall strategy. 

• Like 2

On 8/11/2022 at 10:22 AM, MrSourNinja said:

Just because it’s a new addition does not mean it’s an important one. 

Personally, I don’t watch the shows so no I didn’t enjoy it. Also, that show is replacing a show that already ran. So at best, it’s a small net positive if the show is better. 

As other posters have mentioned, most people go for the rides. For the things they cannot do anywhere else. I can go to plays in any town. I cannot ride rollercoasters or large flats in any town. 

Only 2 out of the last 6 years having additions is concerning any way you paint it. And with nothing being announced today my season pass is seriously up for question. That’s 2 platinum season passes might I add. 

They had a chance to win my $600+ on passes alone and they are losing that chance. There is definitely other things I can do with that money. 

Actually you would be surprised at the number of people who don't go for the rides alone.  If that were true then the lines would be longer than they are currently and the park wouldn't invest in food, parades, shows, etc.  My guess is over 25% go for the meal plan.  I've run into several people who go just to eat, walk around catch a show and then leave the park (especially if the ride lines are long) and do it on the daily.  There is also the water park to think of.  Now that I think of it probably 25% of the times I've gone I haven't ridden a ride, but just go to eat, watch a show and people watch (my mother and I did that all the time, it was one of her favorite things to do).

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Jt2455 said:

Def need some Waterpark improvements. A new slide complex, an additional restroom, more changing stalls etc. I haven't heard any rumors, and honestly would be surprised if they do this but it is sorely needed.

Still waiting for a water coaster.  (I think we have the slide thing covered :))

• Like 4

2 hours ago, robintodd said:

Still waiting for a water coaster.  (I think we have the slide thing covered :))

Water coaster please. They are so much fun and can have good capacity. I have been on the few at Holiday World, all great, even the little one in Great Wolf Lodge is tons of fun.  If they make one it needs to be a record breaking huge one though. Room is an issue in the waterpark. Either have to squeeze it in between lazy river and train tracks behind pineapple pipeline or make a parking lot water coaster if that is even possible. Be really cool if they could make it go down the ravine like the family raft. IDK. They could figure something out.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tks944 said:

Water coaster please. They are so much fun and can have good capacity. I have been on the few at Holiday World, all great, even the little one in Great Wolf Lodge is tons of fun.  If they make one it needs to be a record breaking huge one though. Room is an issue in the waterpark. Either have to squeeze it in between lazy river and train tracks behind pineapple pipeline or make a parking lot water coaster if that is even possible. Be really cool if they could make it go down the ravine like the family raft. IDK. They could figure something out.

the closest thing to a water coaster is mondo monsoon. Great wolf next store has 2 decent ones. Not huge but decent for an inside park. Yes i visit the water park nearly trip there in the summer.

9 minutes ago, terry wass said:

the closest thing to a water coaster is mondo monsoon. Great wolf next store has 2 decent ones. Not huge but decent for an inside park. Yes i visit the water park nearly trip there in the summer.

I dont know if you know what a water coaster is. They use magnets or water jets to add propulsion to the raft to be able to go up hill and extend the length of the ride. Mondo does not do that. It is a giant funnel and Great Wolf Lodge only has 1 water coaster with 2.5 uphill sections. I say 2 and a half because the 3rd one is very small and only adds propulsion if needed due to a slow moving raft. 

5 hours ago, Jt2455 said:

Def need some Waterpark improvements. A new slide complex, an additional restroom, more changing stalls etc. I haven't heard any rumors, and honestly would be surprised if they do this but it is sorely needed.

I agree with this, 6 years is a long time without anything for the water park. I think what is most interesting to me is that the park could really upgrade or add anything in every area of the park, and it wouldn't be a surprise, except a roller coaster, of course. The park is due for water park improvements, a thrill ride, flat ride, kids ride, my personal choice would be a dark ride, but I don't make the decisions haha

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Beasttamer said:

I agree with this, 6 years is a long time without anything for the water park. I think what is most interesting to me is that the park could really upgrade or add anything in every area of the park, and it wouldn't be a surprise, except a roller coaster, of course. The park is due for water park improvements, a thrill ride, flat ride, kids ride, my personal choice would be a dark ride, but I don't make the decisions haha

To be fair the right half of the fence walking back from Planet Snoopy has been replaced.  Expecting the left side next year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Beasttamer said:

Actually, a dark ride would be an excellent choice. It's about time (or I would argue past time) that Boo Blasters on Boo Hill is gutted and replaced. There has been a history of re-vamping that building to use as a different attraction. Honestly, I wouldn't mind an actual Haunted House dark ride. Then again, maybe it's not the right area for such an attraction. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KIBeast said:

Actually, a dark ride would be an excellent choice. It's about time (or I would argue past time) that Boo Blasters on Boo Hill is gutted and replaced. There has been a history of re-vamping that building to use as a different attraction. Honestly, I wouldn't mind an actual Haunted House dark ride. Then again, maybe it's not the right area for such an attraction. 

I wish they had turned the old Crypt building into a dark ride "coaster" like the rumor was a few years ago

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tks944 said:

I'm with with ya on the water coaster. It would do great and is a crowd favorite. They also need a major facilities upgrade in Soak City too. Restrooms, changing areas etc.

• Like 1

Anyone know how long this has been around? Interesting that this kinda hints at Beast related things. CAREFULLY read the copy  ESPECIALLY the part about projects in NC AND SC that show the direction of the company (meaning this can’t be that old since it seems to reference comments they have made about the new project at Carrowinds catering to all 5 senses. And hmmmmm what’s that part about TOPSPIN STRUCTURES???? 2023 might be an “off” year, but methinks some wheels are turning for down the road  

A5169ECE-4B8B-4DF5-A6C4-614E6BC7632E.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Hmmmm anyone know how long this has been around? What about a reworking of the whole RiverTown entrance with the Son of Beast worked around daddy? Maybe in the vein of CheetaHunt or the new BigBear at Dollywood that plays more with length and ride time than extreme stats. Interesting that this kinda hints at Beast related things. CAREFULLY read the copy  

That signs been there for a few years now. I'm not exactly sure when it was put up, but it could hint a new attraction at Kings Island...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Hmmmm anyone know how long this has been around? Interesting that this kinda hints at Beast related things. CAREFULLY read the copy  ESPECIALLY the part about projects in NC AND SC that show the direction of the company (meaning this can’t be that old since it seems to reference comments they have made about the new project at Carrowinds catering to all 5 senses. And hmmmmm what’s that part about TOPSPIN STRUCTURES???? 2023 might be an “off” year, but methinks sone wheels are turning  

Has anyone tried calling that phone number?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Hmmmm anyone know how long this has been around? Interesting that this kinda hints at Beast related things. CAREFULLY read the copy  ESPECIALLY the part about projects in NC AND SC that show the direction of the company (meaning this can’t be that old since it seems to reference comments they have made about the new project at Carrowinds catering to all 5 senses. And hmmmmm what’s that part about TOPSPIN STRUCTURES???? 2023 might be an “off” year, but methinks some wheels are turning  

The sign was installed at Kings Island in June 2020. I believe it was originally created during Copperhead Strike's teasing campaign.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KIghostguy said:

The sign was installed at Kings Island in June 2020. I believe it was originally created during Copperhead Strike's teasing campaign.

hate to break it to ya, as much as we all want a new ride for 23, i dont think its happening, which is okay, also this sign has been there for a few years lol 

• Like 1

Unlike Zambezi Zinger, Son of Beast has a REALLY lousy name reputation, I highly doubt they'd use it again, even with a new, perfectly safe and sound ride like a GCI Titan.

If they want to do a callback and reuse a name, they've already done so with the rename of Flight Deck to Bat, but King Cobra could potentially return in spirit by means of a B&M Surf Coaster.

Personally, I'd be fine with 2023 just painting Diamondback. Banshee would be a bonus.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2022 at 6:56 AM, brenthodge said:

Good thing they don’t ONLY market to you, and they have a lot of other customer profiles to pull from. Like you said-to each their own, but to imply the park is loosing total OVERALL revenue because you are pulling out isn’t maybe grasping their overall strategy. 

My opinion is my opinion, but I can tell you that if I am not renewing my pass, others aren't as well. There are people that think the same way my fiancé and I do, and that amount of people isn't insignificant. That income, while not deal breaking, isn't insignificant. If it was, they would invest the bare minimum into rides.

The hardcores will always buy passes. The GP may not.

8 hours ago, MrSourNinja said:

My opinion is my opinion, but I can tell you that if I am not renewing my pass, others aren't as well. There are people that think the same way my fiancé and I do, and that amount of people isn't insignificant. That income, while not deal breaking, isn't insignificant. If it was, they would invest the bare minimum into rides.

The hardcores will always buy passes. The GP may not.

I also seem to remember the uproar over not offering refunds during COVID and yet the number of season pass sales is significant enough to raise the prices.  It's simple supply and demand.  I believe the last financial report revealed that even with lower attendance they brought in more profit.  Also your statement makes it seem like others aren't renewing their pass just because you are.  Which I is a pretty flimsy reason not to renew.  They should not renew for their own reasons....unless your their leader or something :) (don't get offended, just having a little fun).  But seriously, check your wording again and you'll see what I mean.

50% of the GP that goes to Cedar Fair parks do not buy season passes.  (I would guess the KI rate is around 45%).  I've met a lot of people who live close to the park that get the pass mostly for the meal plan which is their driving factor to get it.  Trust that the park is in a very good financial situation and they are adjusting pricing according to the capitalistic system of supply and demand.  Also they bring in alot in businesses and picnics.  They have them every weekend it seems.

I'm not getting my 2 grandchildren platinum this year because of the price increase.  They only go up to CP once and usually spend only 1 day in the park and the rest of the time on the beach.  Since I can get them bring a friend passes with my platinum it's cheaper to go that route even to get them in twice during the trip.

My wife and I however go up 3 times a year and usually never hang out at the beach (my beach bod left me decades ago :)).  Even with the price increases I still find it an outstanding deal.  I have been to the park 35 times so far and used the meal plan 30 times.

My guess is that they recognize they have to pay their employees more and things just cost more because of the economy so they are raising the prices because of those factors.  In the end supply and demand drive costs in our current system.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2022 at 7:16 AM, robintodd said:

I also seem to remember the uproar over not offering refunds during COVID and yet the number of season pass sales is significant enough to raise the prices.  It's simple supply and demand.  I believe the last financial report revealed that even with lower attendance they brought in more profit.  Also your statement makes it seem like others aren't renewing their pass just because you are.  Which I is a pretty flimsy reason not to renew.  They should not renew for their own reasons....unless your their leader or something :) (don't get offended, just having a little fun).  But seriously, check your wording again and you'll see what I mean.

50% of the GP that goes to Cedar Fair parks do not buy season passes.  (I would guess the KI rate is around 45%).  I've met a lot of people who live close to the park that get the pass mostly for the meal plan which is their driving factor to get it.  Trust that the park is in a very good financial situation and they are adjusting pricing according to the capitalistic system of supply and demand.  Also they bring in alot in businesses and picnics.  They have them every weekend it seems.

I'm not getting my 2 grandchildren platinum this year because of the price increase.  They only go up to CP once and usually spend only 1 day in the park and the rest of the time on the beach.  Since I can get them bring a friend passes with my platinum it's cheaper to go that route even to get them in twice during the trip.

My wife and I however go up 3 times a year and usually never hang out at the beach (my beach bod left me decades ago :)).  Even with the price increases I still find it an outstanding deal.  I have been to the park 35 times so far and used the meal plan 30 times.

My guess is that they recognize they have to pay their employees more and things just cost more because of the economy so they are raising the prices because of those factors.  In the end supply and demand drive costs in our current system.

There is so much to unpack here. I am on mobile and don’t really want to type out responses to everything, so here are a couple.

I say that some people aren’t getting passes that have before because they think similar to us. Ironically enough, I am not getting a pass because my (almost) wife is not getting the pass. So in this instance, I am the follower. 

I never said the park isn’t in a good financial situation, nor did I say the pass isn’t a good value. It simply isn’t worth it for us (and others) next year. 

There is more to discuss but I do not believe this thread is the place for that, so I will stop here. 

I appreciate your perspective and opinion on things. The more discussion, always the better. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrSourNinja said:

I appreciate your perspective and opinion on things. The more discussion, always the better. 

And I appreciate yours as well. 

In the end there are die-hards (like me) that will continue to find the season pass a great value and will renew every year regardless of new additions.  I've been going to KI all my life and have always had a season pass ever since they offered them (way back when they took your picture, cut it out and laminated it to the pass ;)).  Any new additions like rides are simply icing on the cake at this point for me and my family.  With as close as we live to the park it's a great value and with the park the size it is now there is so much that could be done.  Water park improvements, Planet Snoopy improvements, repaints, etc.  The problem with a park getting bigger is there is more to upkeep.  It was much easier back in the 80's when the park was small to add a large attraction.  Plus when you "spruce up" an area you don't require more employees the next year.  Getting a new roller coaster would require 5-10 more employees I would imagine (same could be said for a restaurant).  But replacing the fencing from Planet Snoopy to the waterpark doesn't. 

There are so many things that go into the decision on what to add/improve every year I could only imagine.  (Hey, maybe that would be a good idea for the Attractions Group Podcast to discuss!).

• Like 3