Adventureland Amusement Park death on their White Water Canyon equivalent ride

3 minutes ago, robt said:

There was a death yesterday in Iowa for a ride that sounds similar to WWR at KI.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/dead-injured-raft-overturns-water-ride-amusement-park/story?id=78669883

Any concerns riding at KI?

We don’t know what happened. It could have been an isolated issue or it could have been an operator error. Let’s not jump to any conclusions and start assuming White Water Canyon is no longer safe.

• malem changed the title to Adventureland Amusement Park death on their river rapids ride
1 hour ago, robt said:

Not asking to jump to conclusions, asking if anyone knows any similarities between the rides, Same rafts? Same manufacturer? Similar layout? Etc. I’ve never been to the Iowa park

The rides are designed by the same manufacturer, Intamin, but I don’t believe the layouts are the exact same. I am not sure if the rafts are the exact same.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robt said:

Not asking to jump to conclusions, asking if anyone knows any similarities between the rides, Same rafts? Same manufacturer? Similar layout? Etc. I’ve never been to the Iowa park

Before I answer the questions, these rides were built in the early 80s, and have basically proven themselves to be safe after more then 30 years of service.  Whatever went wrong is unlikely to be a design flaw.

Same manufacturer and to my knowledge same raft.  Intamin made the raft in several sizes, but they are both six seat rafts.  Layouts are pretty much unique to the location since they wanted to take advantage of the terrain, and there is no point to duplicating the designs.

I am reminded of an incident that occurred on a similar ride in Australia around five years ago.  One of the pumps was not working which caused the water level to be too low to operate safely.  This allowed a raft to get underneath another raft at a conveyer belt which caused one of the rafts to flip over and killed several people.  I have no idea if the incidents are similar, but that’s what I immediately thought of after I heard of this occurring.

• disco2000 changed the title to Adventureland Amusement Park death on their White Water Canyon equivalent ride