General Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

• Canada’s Wonderland will have four seasons of world-class experiences, events and entertainment for guests of all ages, including a new International Food Festival featuring a diverse menu of culinary tastes, treats and drinks from around the world. In addition, the park will be expanding its culinary offerings in 2022 with the introduction of a multi-level, rustic lodge-restaurant that will be the park’s largest dining facility to date.

Source:
Cedar Fair - Cedar Fair Unveils Exciting Plans for 2022 Operating Season, Including Upgraded Safari Village Area at Kings Dominion, 50th Anniversary Celebration at Kings Island, Fun-Filled Seasonal Events and Upgraded Lodging and Dining Venues

The 40th Anniversary merch is finally in and for sale at the former All The Rage location (it's the shop beside Xtreme Skyflyer)... It opened yesterday... From the park's Instagram....

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CShqCHknGdu/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

My next booked reservation is tomorrow, so I hope to get some photos (and some of the merch itself of course)...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Honorarius said:

The 40th Anniversary merch is finally in and for sale at the former All The Rage location (it's the shop beside Xtreme Skyflyer)... It opened yesterday... From the park's Instagram....

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CShqCHknGdu/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

My next booked reservation is tomorrow, so I hope to get some photos (and some of the merch itself of course)...

Please post since pics. You and @MisterSG1keep is updated on CW and we appreciate it.

• Like 2

I will def be posting... I enjoy merch, I personally collect shotglasses, my wife collects keychains, and we don't exactly collect coffee mugs, but we've got way, way more mugs than any 2 person household needs... It was enough that the mugs from our travels together were used for the coffee service at our wedding...

I've been fairly critical of Wonderland's merch selection for a long time, but have noticed a big improvement over the last few years... For as much as the term "per-capita spending" get's thrown about, for far, far too long the souvenir selection was very, very poor in comparison to most parks...

• Like 1

As promised...

merch.jpg

merch1.jpg

Representation of old rides and new!!!

stuff.jpg

The classic logo, with an added 40th anniversary banner...

stuff1.jpg

stuff2.jpg

stuff3.jpg

stuff4.jpg

stuff5.jpg

stuff6.jpg

And I really like this...

wall.jpg

wall1.jpg

wall2.jpg

wall3.jpg

wall4.jpg

wall5.jpg

Keychain collectors should be happy, a lot of new chains this year, branded to individual rides...
As a shotglass collector, the only shotglass for sale in the park is the new 40th anniversary one...
Lots of ride t-shirts(and some sweatshirts for the B&M coasters) and coffee mugs in the Name-Year-Wonderland line, each ride a different colour... They have Minebuster, but not Wild Beast, read into that what you will...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wowzers! An actual photo of Yogi's Cave/Smurf Cave. I remember going through the Smurf Cave when I was very young, was always afraid of the ending because of the music.

As I'm a "model" type person, thought it would be cool if they sold some model rides, but I guess this is an improvement for now. I don't mean something that complex, but a model, like when you visit the CN Tower you can get a model of the tower itself.

EDIT: The classic logo is a little different in the gear they have for sale. It's like a "retro-modern" logo so to speak. Like what the Blue Jays did, the actual text on the logo resembles the current logo of Wonderland.

^ There's a lanyard currently for sale in the Diamondback gift shop that has KI's logos over the years on it, including the original Paramount logo (minus the word "Paramount.") Kings Dominion acknowledged the Paramount era by name, including the trademarked ride names, during their 40th anniversary. Paramount is part of the parks' history, and it seems as long as they stay within certain guidelines, they're okay to reference that era historically.

• Like 2

Crowds there are concerning if you ask me.

Vaughan By-law could have a field day there as I’m pretty well sure they aren’t adhering by the Stage 3 guidelines. Crowd looks to be greater than the 50% limit and people no longer social distance in lines.

1 hour ago, CoastersRZ said:

What some people don`t realize is that 50% capacity at most amusement parks is pretty decent sized crowd.  Imagine the busiest Haunt days at KI, and then take 50% of that, and it would still result in a very busy day at KI.

Plus who knows what “full capacity” is. I’ve never known a Haunt night where they’ve stopped letting people in. Even using a busy Haunt night as a metric might be a under representation of what they consider capacity. 

• Like 1

My concern is moreso with the lockdown happy people. I’d be surprised at this point if the Haunt happens, but we’ll see.

This entire covid ordeal has really brought out the true nature of Canadians in general and how my suspicions were always correct, that Canadians don’t believe in freedom.

Thanks for sharing @Honorarius! Those Leviathan water bottles are cool - I had a Cincinnati Zoo (the major zoo around where I live) water bottle similar to that in that exact color a few years ago. Also, I love the timeline - it's interesting that Wonderland got similar additions to KI, but years later (ex: Fearfest in 2005 vs. 2000 for KI and Nick Central in 2003 vs. 2001 for KI)

• 2 weeks later...

As we are on the cusp of another shutdown, I think Wonderland has handled reopening very poorly. I will admit they were good at first but what I’ve noticed now is crowds are more similar to how I remember prior to COVID.

Guests DO NOT social distance anymore. An acquaintance of mine is a ride op at Wonderland and he tells me they try to enforce social distancing but the guests don’t listen. But mentions that rides are outright stopped when guests remove their masks.

Bylaw if they chose to could have a field day and charge Wonderland an exorbitant sum of money. Otherwise, Wonderland needs to smarten up!

For starters, more security, anyone seen breaking the social distancing rules or mask rules on rides gets removed from the park immediately with no refund. Guests who are season pass holders have their pass revoked. Guests should also be banned for the rest of the season from visiting the park.

ICU numbers are climbing and it is getting serious again.

For those who can’t understand. Have you ever had your parents tell you why you shouldn’t prank call 9-1-1? Because it ties up potential people in crisis who need 9-1-1 immediately.

Its the exact same idea, foolishly engaging in spreading the virus around in crowds fills our hospitals up with covid patients which like my 9-1-1 example leads to patients potentially not being able to receive life saving treatment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, MisterSG1 said:

Canada’s Wonderland fined $1,130 for lack of social distancing in accordance to the Reopening Ontario Act.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.newmarkettoday.ca/amp/local-news/aurora-keg-east-gwillimbury-la-fitness-wonderland-among-28-charged-for-covid-19-violations-4312751

I am surprised of such a low charge. 

55 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I am surprised of such a low charge. 

My guess is that it is an incremental charge. The bylaw guys aren’t exactly fascists and spend most times “educating” before going straight to fines. In business settings, it is the responsibility of the business to make sure the protocols are being followed.

This obviously puts Canada’s Wonderland between a rock and a hard place. As wonderland is a hospitality/tourism business, and guests are to believe it’s business as usual. How can wonderland enforce the rules sternly but yet satisfy the unrealistic needs of the guest?

For example, the associates merely can only tell them to social distance, what is the associate supposed to do if the guest doesn’t listen? Any kind of further demanding and the guest will complain and the associate is in trouble.

For an actual social distancing set up, I will admit that Wonderland has done an excellent job with ground markings and signage. But now people are starting to simply queue like normal.

• 2 weeks later...

An exciting development if they are freeing uo that space. Would love to see Time Warp also get removed. It's time to add another major coaster in 2023 or 24. The park is insanely popular, with big crowds pretty much every day since reopening after a packed 2019 pre-Covid. After the Canadian Harmony Hall coming next year, I hope they turn their focus to the next new thrill. Mack Extreme Spinner would be my top pick. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The park is removing the seldom used Kingswood Music Theatre, the 15000 seat music venue that sits empty most of the time.  Was very busy with good concerts (and some big names) back in the day, but the opening of a similar venue more conveniently located to the population of the city pretty much rendered it obsolete.

It's a nice chunk of land between Behemoth and the parking lot. Currently has it's own gate that they only use for cultural/school events in Kingswood itself.

Nothing official (lots of speculation, mostly of the "I think they're getting a (insert posters most-wanted coaster)" variety...

Anyway, they've now got a nice chunk of land to plan for going forward...