Cash less is coming mid-July

jdf21972

42 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

I have two questions. Does the ATM have a FLP line? Does it issue change?

Not sure if it issues change. I know that some do. I suppose it would make sense to have it so a parent could load a kid’s card. Hopefully you can use that to redeem on the way out 

Will the cards work on the locker rental as well? I've had random issues using my debit or CCs. It's never the same card that won't take. 

Also can they be used in place of game cards or are we stuck with another thing for 12yo to keep track of?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PatchesC said:

Will the cards work on the locker rental as well? I've had random issues using my debit or CCs. It's never the same card that won't take. 

Also can they be used in place of game cards or are we stuck with another thing for 12yo to keep track of?

Good questions, maybe @DonHelbig can answer for us.

Welcome back, we have missed seeing you.

• Like 2

I think they are trying to unload the cash they have on hand! 

Last week at Brewriver, I asked “what’s the dip o the month?” The answer “some jalapeño… thing… I think… yeah (looks at imaginary “piece of paper”) a jalapeño, kinda creamy dip..???”

I said “well since you sold it so well, I think I will pass on that” 

few minutes later here it come to my table.check bill, yep, it’s on there. Confusion… “you sure you don’t want it??”… more confusion… supervisor… 

“Oh, you didn’t want it? Can I just give you cash instead of putting it back on your card?” LOL.  

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, brenthodge said:

I think they are trying to unload the cash they have on hand! 

Last week at Brewriver, I asked “what’s the dip o the month?” The answer “some jalapeño… thing… I think… yeah (looks at imaginary “piece of paper”) a jalapeño, kinda creamy dip..???”

I said “well since you sold it so well, I think I will pass on that” 

few minutes later here it come to my table.check bill, yep, it’s on there. Confusion… “you sure you don’t want it??”… more confusion… supervisor… 

“Oh, you didn’t want it? Can I just give you cash instead of putting it back on your card?” LOL.  

In the kid’s defense, it was probably not communicated with them. When I ordered the flatbread they said it was a pulled pork but it was a Greek salad. I know it wasn’t the best experience, but they do work hard.

• Like 1

So little more searching on the kids needing cards issue. Alot of people mentioned Greenlight as an option, but for the rare time mine spends money, the monthly fee would just eat at her savings. 

Chase Bank has a First Checking account for kids ages 6-17. It is supported through Greenlight and has same features. The adult needs to have a Chase account, but: NO monthly fees. So looks like that is a decent option if you already have a Chase account.

I have a few issues with this. First and foremost,  my cash says right on it "this note is legal tender for all debts public and private"

What that means is they cannot legally reject my cash payment. 

Next, will everything in the park be switched to a flat $ amount after tax? I can't put an exact amount on the card at a kiosk. 

I don't think its fair to be forced to add $10 to a card for something that costs $9.75.  Will there be ways to get $ back off my card if not used or does the park get to keep that?

Worse yet would be the card issuer charging me for $ deposited that I can't use during the 4 months the park is closed.  Winterfest ends, park doesn't open until spring... thats more than 90 days. 

Just a few issues I have with cashless.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, specialk141 said:

I have a few issues with this. First and foremost,  my cash says right on it "this note is legal tender for all debts public and private"

Next, will everything in the park be switched to a flat $ amount after tax? I can't put an exact amount on the card at a kiosk. 

I don't think its fair to be forced to add $10 to a card for something that costs $9.75.  Will there be ways to get $ back off my card if not used or does the park get to keep that?

Worse yet would be the card issuer charging me for $ deposited that I can't use during the 4 months the park is closed.  Winterfest ends, park doesn't open until spring... thats more than 90 days. 

Interesting read about the legal tender part. https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/legal_tender

The others are many reasons why I'm looking at alternatives to this specific card for my 12yo. She manages her cash savings well, plus it's helped her practice math over the years vs a card. 

15 minutes ago, specialk141 said:

I don’t think the “legal tender” argument works. I actually asked a lawyer friend one time if a gas station could really only accept up to a $20 since $50s and $100s legal tender (basically same argument) and he said that so long as their practices aren’t discriminatory, they can refuse any transaction. I’d bet you anything that this would fall under that. That are transparent in their policy, they facilitate the cashless-ness, and their goods and services aren’t essential.  I’m not going to drop the “if you don’t like it, don’t come” statement because I think that’s a bit of an immature argument, but legally speaking I think that’s the case.

I shot a fireworks show on the 4th and the concession stand there was taking contactless only. They said it was for COVID, but there’s a huge liability advantage to that.  Prepare yourself. That’s coming next.

• Like 2

So far the percentages looks very favorable for cashless at the park on the Twitter poll.

7 minutes ago, Snowball said:

Would that make someone a season assholder? :D

That is what you call the pass holders who are going to give the cashiers a hard time for not taking their cash.

• Haha 3

I don’t think the legal tender argument is valid.
Kings Island as an establishment will still accept cash… just only at their cash to card machines.

In this way, it’s no different than Dave and busters game card or Chuck E Cheese tokens… as they exchange cash into a system that’s accepted within the place.

And even better, it’s not like they are only giving you park credits in return… it’s a legit cash card.
So if you do end up with 25 cents on it, just use that card at the next place you shop and get the full amount off of it. It’s not like Kings Island is stealing your money… it’s on the card, which you can use anywhere that accepts card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Add your vote here:

I'm not a huge fan of the option offered, but looking into something more user friendly. Till then kid won't be allowed to make purchases in park, I'll put it on my CC, then she'll have to pay me back. Also means no going for a snack by herself. (Maybe that's a good thing?)

1 hour ago, Snowball said:

Would that make someone a season assholder? :D

Before last year, I would have made the joke that that's a season passholder in Area 72 when their Hank's burrito hits. But now there are restrooms in Area 72, so thanks a lot for ruining my joke, Kings Island, ya JERKS.

;) 

• Haha 3

On 7/7/2021 at 11:01 PM, FUN&ONLY! said:

People shouldn’t be saying the cashless policy prohibits them from using their cash. People who only carry cash, while it may be a small number these days, can still use their cash with the cash to card machines. I think this will greatly improve check-out at food and beverage locations as well as at retail locations.  The only thing I see as a potential problem is there not being enough of the cash to card machines throughout the park. Kings Island said there are going to be five throughout the dry park and Soak City, but that doesn’t seem like enough. I feel like there needs to be like two cash to card machines in each area of the park. This is not necessarily because I think there are going to be a lot of people using them, but the people that do use them aren’t going to want to walk very far to get their card. This policy was inevitable, and with the introduction of Game Cards a few years back, this isn’t super surprising.

I am curious, though, if cash will still be accepted as a form of payment at things like vending machines, the Game Card machines, the locker machines, or the White Water Canyon geysers. My guess is yes because cash wouldn’t actually be circulating within the park, but it would rather just be collecting in more machines. It would also be way too complicated to have someone get a cash card just to be able to then to get a Game Card.

Also, this is kind of off-topic, but have the ticket booths been open this year? I know that they will probably only be accepting card payment soon, but I was just wondering.

Technically, the lockers aren't owned by the park but leased to the park by a different company. So that potentially complicates that since they classify it as merch, but the agent owned by KI 

I may have missed it - and I know there are two conversion machines in the front..  does anyone know where the others are located?

There are two right after you enter the turnstiles, at the front.
There is one by each of the spots where paper maps used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, specialk141 said:

Go rent a Lime scooter or order an Uber and get back with us how that works out for you. :lol:

13 hours ago, specialk141 said:

How exactly have you made it to this niche corner of the internet and not figured out how to google something?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I shot a fireworks show on the 4th and the concession stand there was taking contactless only. They said it was for COVID, but there’s a huge liability advantage to that.  Prepare yourself. That’s coming next.

Speaking of contactless payments, I've really enjoyed using the Wendy's app on my phone as I can conveniently order on-the-go. I think another plus to this (for companies, at least) is that I feel like people tend to spend more money (impulse buy) when paying thru apps as they don't "see" the money - they just know they want the thing now.

• Like 1