Cash less is coming mid-July

jdf21972

My question is how does the park plan on dealing with kids/teenagers who have been dropped off at the park with say $50 cash on them and they don't have a credit card? If everything is cashless, then how are they supposed to purchase food, drinks, etc. since they don't have a card?

My question is how does the park plan on dealing with kids/teenagers who have been dropped off at the park with say $50 cash on them and they don't have a credit card? If everything is cashless, then how are they supposed to purchase food, drinks, etc. since they don't have a card?

That’s exactly the point of the cash to card machines.

Teen puts cash into machine
Pre loaded debit card pops out
Teen uses card
Value left on card and be used ANYWHERE outside of the park that takes credit cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, chuck norris said:

That’s exactly the point of the cash to card machines.

Teen puts cash into machine
Pre loaded debit card pops out
Teen uses card
Value left on card and be used ANYWHERE outside of the park that takes credit cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anywhere outside the park that takes VISA. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chuck norris said:

True… although do you know of places that accept credit cards… but not visa?

Hmm, there WAS a time...(a certain Club store comes to mind) but is no longer the case now.

It was one of the motivations for me having more than one major CC type in my wallet.

22 hours ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Another reason to have the chaperone policy.

• Like 1

Cash is time consuming, promotes shrinkage, easily lost, and is crazy dirty (ever been to a club??).

The cards are a welcome addition.  I was skeptical when Waldameer went cashless with kiosks dishing out Wally Cards, but it has worked out incredibly well.  KI has taken it a step further where the cards being handed out can be used anywhere.

Speaking of clubs, imagine if they went cashless??  :lol:

1 hour ago, Browntggrr said:

Cash is time consuming, promotes shrinkage, easily lost, and is crazy dirty (ever been to a club??).

The cards are a welcome addition.  I was skeptical when Waldameer went cashless with kiosks dishing out Wally Cards, but it has worked out incredibly well.  KI has taken it a step further where the cards being handed out can be used anywhere.

Speaking of clubs, imagine if they went cashless??  :lol:

Not to get far off topic but cashless clubs could just be a card swiper like at the games lol

• Haha 1

I think this is a great change for Kings Island.  Especially if it means faster and better service at concessions.  With the flexibility of the any unused funds on the card post-visit there is really no down-side.  Kings Island still "accepts cash" you just have to do it one time only when you first go into the park.  No different than heading over to the ticket boot at the county fair to get your ride and drink tickets.  Hopefully some signage and guest education will alleviate any kinks.  Looking forward to seeing the results!

Anecdotal example:  I was at the park a few weeks ago with some friends, two were cashless (credit cards), one used cash.  Guess who had faster service at every transaction?  Guess who was always taking extra time finding the right bills/coins to pay?  Guess who had heavier pockets and jingled down the midway with all the loose change they had acquired.  

• Like 2

On 7/16/2021 at 8:03 AM, chuck norris said:

It’s live.
Cash is out, starting today.
1a39b099cee2ef1c2121bc4f25f96bb0.jpg

From my observations this week, more people were using cash to buy food and drink than I saw at the cash-to-card machines LOL.  I guess it is a soft launch with a grace period. 

I am not aware of any place in the park that only accepted cash, but many places did not accept the Google and Apple pay methods but apparently do now according to the website, although I haven't tried those types of payments to know for sure.

But I saw many people paying for food with cash this week and the cashier was able to make change...

• 1 month later...

I have to admit that I haven't been to the park this season to purchase anything quite yet, but how is this working?  Especially with speed.  I have visited 6 MLB parks this summer, all with cashless, and the time required to finish a simple transaction for something simple like a beer or lemon chill feels like it has increased dramatically.   In fact in one ballpark, the vendor had to go as far as to hold the device over his head, seemingly to get connection.  It's tough.  I want to love this, but infrastructure has to be increased to make the customer experience better.   Just my 2 cents.

Here is an article about the upsides and downsides of going cashless. Obviously a lot of the content is subjective, but it does list several venues that went cashless in 2019-20. My point is that this is not a uniquely Cedar Fair thing. I think it’s progressive and courageous to do this a little early, but I think that someone take the dive. I could see GABP and PBS doing this sooner than later too. 

https://www.fanfoodapp.com/blog/these-stadiums-went-cashless-in-2019-what-does-this-mean-for-2020

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Here is an article about the upsides and downsides of going cashless. Obviously a lot of the content is subjective, but it does list several venues that went cashless in 2019-20. My point is that this is not a uniquely Cedar Fair thing. I think it’s progressive and courageous to do this a little early, but I think that someone take the dive. I could see GABP and PBS doing this sooner than later too. 

https://www.fanfoodapp.com/blog/these-stadiums-went-cashless-in-2019-what-does-this-mean-for-2020

I just don't want a WWE Superslam repeat. Me and Hangry have never been on good terms.