Beast closing times before fireworks

Jeorby Nanpa

Seems like a LONG LONG time ago there was no Beast close before fireworks.  And for the last 5-10 years it's been 9:45pm.  For our safety, I assume.  In 2021 we're pushed back to 9:30pm or so.  Even more safe?

I'm curious if anyone can confirm these times.  And if 9:30pm is safe... what is even more safe?

If you're only available weekdays, like I am, we have 6-7 weeks of 10pm closes.  :(

Not sure why they moved it back to 9:30, but the reason why they started doing it about 10 years ago was because the fireworks site was moved. It’s actually within about 100’ of the brake shed where the train slows down. They shut down early to ensure that no one is on the track when the fireworks go. It would be unsafe for a train to be stuck on the second lift hill with people in it. 

12 minutes ago, Jeorby Nanpa said:

Seems like a LONG LONG time ago there was no Beast close before fireworks.  And for the last 5-10 years it's been 9:45pm.  For our safety, I assume.  In 2021 we're pushed back to 9:30pm or so.  Even more safe?

I'm curious if anyone can confirm these times.  And if 9:30pm is safe... what is even more safe?

If you're only available weekdays, like I am, we have 6-7 weeks of 10pm closes.  :(

Are you referring to when The Beast temporarily suspends its operations? Because I thought The Beast’s line remains open until 10:00 PM, and everyone can ride after the fireworks are completed and the ride area is inspected.

15 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Are you referring to when The Beast temporarily suspends its operations? Because I thought The Beast’s line remains open until 10:00 PM, and everyone can ride after the fireworks are completed and the ride area is inspected.

That was not the case last weekend. They closed the line about 9:30ish and said  everyone in line would ride, but would not open after fireworks. 

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

That was not the case last weekend. They closed the line about 9:30ish and said  everyone in line would ride, but would not open after fireworks. 

Was this on Saturday? I guess that makes sense because of the larger fireworks display, but has this been the case every day?

5 minutes ago, Snowball said:

They've been closing around 9:45 pretty consistently.

I don’t really like this policy. I liked when you used to be able to enter the line up until 10:00 PM and ride after the fireworks. Orion closes the line at 10:00 PM, so why can’t The Beast do the same? The Beast’s line closed at 10:00 PM last year after all. 15 minutes doesn’t really make that big of a difference. It is one thing to try to have everyone off before the fireworks, but now they allow some people to ride after the fireworks as long as they are in line by 9:45 PM instead of park close.

• Like 1

On Friday, 7/2 we rode at about 920. The ride operator on the mic gave a time of 935 (he said 15 minutes at 920, i checked my watch to be sure) as the time the ride would be suspending operations. Not sure if they closed the line then, as we went over to Mystic after our ride. 7/3 and 7/4 I know were different, but 7/2 was the normal short fireworks 10pm show. 

8 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I don’t really like this policy. I liked when you used to be able to enter the line up until 10:00 PM and ride after the fireworks. Orion closes the line at 10:00 PM, so why can’t The Beast do the same?

The Racer has the same policy. Don't quote me on this, but i'm assuming it has something to do with the fact both of those are wooden coasters. Maybe @DonHelbig can elaborate more?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

The Racer has the same policy. Don't quote me on this, but i'm assuming it has something to do with the fact both of those are wooden coasters. Maybe @DonHelbig can elaborate more?

In 2019, you were allowed to enter The Beast’s line right up until 10:00 PM. This year, you can still be in line for The Beast and ride after the fireworks, but you have to enter by a certain time.

My guess would be any debris from the fireworks could land and stay on a wooden track structure.  (also an ember may start a fire.  Not likely but could).  Steel tubes on the other hand wouldn't "hold" debris or embers and any embers that did get stuck would get knocked off with a test cycle and the metal wouldn't have a chance of catching fire.

Just my guess.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, super7 said:

Nightly fireworks are suck as waste of funds.  They don’t increase the gate at all.   They could just run the fountain and light show a couple times a night and save funds for park improvements 

It's hard to say which specific things do and don't increase the gate... last night as I was walking out of the park, there were literally hundreds of people sitting in front of the fountains watching the fireworks. I would say the fireworks show probably added to their experience. Maybe it does increase the gate a little bit.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, super7 said:

Nightly fireworks are suck as waste of funds.  They don’t increase the gate at all.   They could just run the fountain and light show a couple times a night and save funds for park improvements 

I don't think they are intended to increase the gate, but to keep them in the gate till close. The longer then are there, the more likely they will spend money. It increases per caps spending.  

• Like 1

I don't think they are intended to increase the gate, but to keep them in the gate till close. The longer then are there, the more likely they will spend money. It increases per caps spending.  

Plus… that show is cheap. There’s a reason even CBS didn’t cut it. Plus when they don’t do it a lot of people get upset. It’s been a tradition for a long, long time - predating Kings Island. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 8:17 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

You are right.  But with the fountain and all the synchronized lighting, they coukd add to that and have a finale show that doesn’t close rides and threaten to potentially set fire to the place.   Plus they are dangerous to those setting them off.  

im just not a fan of fireworks.  The fatality of the Blue Jackets player is a reminder why.