How much longer for Congo Falls?

Hawaiian Coasters 325

For me, unless a ride has become unsafe and cannot pass safety inspections I do not want anything to be removed.  Only if there is a new project to replace that ride.  I wish they would add more flat rides in some empty spots.  If a ride has high maint costs and low ridership then plan to replace it.  But I don't want to walk by Congo Falls and look at an empty spot for 2-3 years.

Maybe I misinterpret what some people are saying.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 7:09 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

I am struggling to know what they missed with the autos? Gas station, bridge, pond with 2 fountains, signage that references old rides, and there is quite a bit of landscaping on the path. What else were your wanting them to do?

one word, SIZE.  The immersion of Les Taxi and OOL took you away from everything. As the attraction got older the trees were bigger and it enhanced it.  

• Like 4

True, but that's also a lot of real estate for such a ride. KI's was kind of an odd one out among antique car rides for using so much land. KMAA could have potentially crossed under Racer to add more track, but would have involved crossing the service area and then likely interfering with Orion.

I'd like to see a wall of dense trees or other greenery to supplement the fence and "covered bridge" in the back, but in time the trees planted within the course will mature. It's still very new.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I was just wondering. It's been a few years since I last went to the park and my wife is a bit big (like around 350) especially her waist. Most rides are off the table but I forget if Congo has a seat belt or restraint of any kind. If she can slide in the row it might be one she can do. Can anyone confirm if it has any type of restraint?

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2022 at 11:31 PM, amapan said:

But yeah…. Congo Falls could and should be relocated. 

I think that says a lot right there. I figured if they were going to move it, they would have done so already. It seems to me like they're leaving it there until its space is needed.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/11/2022 at 11:30 AM, rlentless said:

I agree, if they were going to move it that would have been done a long time ago.  Why take on the extra expense unless you need the space?  Why look at an empty spot unless there are plans for it?

One of the more complicated aspects of Congo Falls is the water. If they moved it they'd have to lay new supply lines. It'd be a bit of an undertaking for such a modest attraction.

• Like 4

I don't see why there would be any need to remove Congo Falls? People like to ride it and gets people wet like it's supposed to do. It's also been there since I was a kid; I'm 37 years old now. You guys are right though, it would have been moved already If they had plans to move it in the park. I wish that it was over in The Vortex plot of land now, but I'm guessing the park has a 5 year plan for that area.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Shawn Meyer said:

I don't see why there would be any need to remove Congo Falls? People like to ride it and gets people wet like it's supposed to do. 

Because a good number of folks on this site are hellbent on shoving a coaster into every single semi-available piece of land within the park. The mental gymnastics preformed to justify a new coaster installation is mind boggling to me. 

I’m also confused to why everyone wants to see Congo Falls removed. Same goes for Timberwolf. There’s plenty of available space for new additions without removing either of these. 

It’s also important to understand that not every new addition needs to be a coaster. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think most of the thought process behind removing timberwolf was that it was a big, largely unused plot of land.  At least that was my thinking, until it was used this season.  While I didn't attend any of the concerts there, if they could semi-regularly fill timberwolf with acts that people would want to come see, then I'm all for keeping it and upgrading it.  Congo falls, I love and my kids love.  I'd be sad to see it go, but realize it is much closer to the end of its service life than the start.  While I don't love Invertigo, I'd imagine the same could be said for that coaster as well.  I'm not sure what the level of ridership is for those things, Congo falls never seems to have lines.  When people start speculating where the next major investments in the park can/will be, there are 2 very logical spots, the first is the old Vortex plot of land, the 2nd is/was the Timberwolf/Congo Falls/Invertigo plot of land.

And a park should never remove anything until it has a plan for its replacement.  Unless the structure is a physical hazard to the safety of patrons and/or employees, you never know when all or parts of it can be reimagined to something new.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, medford said:

I think most of the thought process behind removing timberwolf was that it was a big, largely unused plot of land.  At least that was my thinking, until it was used this season.  While I didn't attend any of the concerts there, if they could semi-regularly fill timberwolf with acts that people would want to come see, then I'm all for keeping it and upgrading it.  Congo falls, I love and my kids love.  I'd be sad to see it go, but realize it is much closer to the end of its service life than the start.  While I don't love Invertigo, I'd imagine the same could be said for that coaster as well.  I'm not sure what the level of ridership is for those things, Congo falls never seems to have lines.  When people start speculating where the next major investments in the park can/will be, there are 2 very logical spots, the first is the old Vortex plot of land, the 2nd is/was the Timberwolf/Congo Falls/Invertigo plot of land.

Agree. If all Timberwolf was going to be used for was a three-day Christian concert that was on its way out, I was find to get rid of it. But this year seems to show there's still life left there, and if they can use it as a regular venue throughout the season, I think that's great. 

I could take or leave Congo Falls. Kids like to ride it and get wet. In my opinion, I have more fun with White Water Canyon and Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown, and I'd rather see CF go before those. It's just, to me, a bit of an eyesore. But if it still serves a purpose, awesome. Same with Invertigo. I honestly forget it's there most the time. And I'd rather see the park focus on bringing non-coaster improvements instead of trying to cram in the latest thrill rides. Atmosphere matters so much more. 

• Like 6

i like. as far as kids go i like the restraint at cp for snake river falls. But usually the summer vists are coasters until 1, then Soak City till around 4 , back in the park with swim stuff still on and white water canyon and congo falls and then coasters the rest of the nite after dinner. So I would definetly miss Congo falls it went away. Although without paramount movie rigts and of course the area it takes up I might like to see it in Rivertown. Probably not possible though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terry wass said:

i like. as far as kids go i like the restraint at cp for snake river falls. But usually the summer vists are coasters until 1, then Soak City till around 4 , back in the park with swim stuff still on and white water canyon and congo falls and then coasters the rest of the nite after dinner. So I would definetly miss Congo falls it went away. Although without paramount movie rigts and of course the area it takes up I might like to see it in Rivertown. Probably not possible though.

If Congo moves it should go to Rivertown.  It's nice to have all the water rides in one spot.  That's what they do at Cedar Point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2022 at 9:35 PM, SonofBaconator said:

Keelboat.png

Ok so at first, I was thinking why the heck are they talking about moving a 30+ year old ride? Like either leave it alone or tear it down for something better.... however your art here has sold me on the idea. Tear down the monstrosity of an eye sore previously known as The Crypt and move Congo Fall over to Rivertown. Looks amazing but sadly this will probably never actually happen. 

• Like 6

• 10 months later...

So I don’t think Congo Falls has operated the full 2023 season- I think its years are numbered and I’m sure Invertigo will go with it. When these rides do go, I want the park to have something ready to replace them. I know the pandemic threw things for a loop, (PUN), but I think that guests have started to expect that when something big like a coaster gets the axe, it should be replaced relatively soon.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

So I don’t think Congo Falls has operated the full 2023 season- I think its years are numbered and I’m sure Invertigo will go with it. When these rides do go, I want the park to have something ready to replace them. I know the pandemic threw things for a loop, (PUN), but I think that guests have started to expect that when something big like a coaster gets the ace, it should be replaced relatively soon.

Sometimes it's not that simple. If Invertigo and Congo Falls become too expensive to maintain and operate, then it's very likely Kings Island will make the decision right then and there to remove those rides, even if nothing has been planned to replace them. I'm certain the park would have preferred to keep Vortex operational for several more years until a replacement was planned. Clearly, that's not what happened and that plot still sits mostly vacant to this day. Yeah it stinks seeing that hole in the back of Coney Mall, but it's understandable why the park chose 2019 to remove Vortex.

I'm hoping the park can at least keep Invertigo and Congo Falls operational long enough for Vortex's spot to be filled, as I don't want Kings Island to gain a reputation for removing coasters all the time. I'm not saying this is going to happen, but if Kings Island made the announcement tomorrow to get your last rides on Invertigo before it closes for good, I would not be surprised. I speculate Invertigo has about five years left at-most, and Congo Falls may very well go with it.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, WoodVengeance said:

Sometimes it's not that simple. If Invertigo and Congo Falls become too expensive to maintain and operate, then it's very likely Kings Island will make the decision right then and there to remove those rides, even if nothing has been planned to replace them. I'm certain the park would have preferred to keep Vortex operational for several more years until a replacement was planned. Clearly, that's not what happened and that plot still sits mostly vacant to this day. Yeah it stinks seeing that hole in the back of Coney Mall, but it's understandable why the park chose 2019 to remove Vortex.

I'm hoping the park can at least keep Invertigo and Congo Falls operational long enough for Vortex's spot to be filled, as I don't want Kings Island to gain a reputation for removing coasters all the time. I'm not saying this is going to happen, but if Kings Island made the announcement tomorrow to get your last rides on Invertigo before it closes for good, I would not be surprised. I speculate Invertigo has about five years left at-most, and Congo Falls may very well go with it.

With a new boomerang on it’s way next year it may be sooner than we thought…

• Like 1

I don't think the long term plan was to allow Vortex site to sit this long. For example whatever plans they had were probably totally changed by the pandemic and the TTD accident that forced millions to be spent on Cedar Point and I'm sure they are liable in whatever lawsuits were filed against them as well. However, I really do hope they can put a bandaid on Invertigo and congo falls until they are in the position to replace them. Actually if they were to be forced to remove them, I'd prefer to see the new coaster be put in their spot immediately. (I've actually gotten kind of use to seeing the empty field in the back of Coney mall and if they've waited this long, they can tear down and build a replacement for Invertigo and congo before addressing The Vortex plot. Besides the drones are a nice touch to the fireworks and the launch pad for them is in The Vortex station area currently) All I'm saying is if Invertigo and congo lifespan can't be prolonged I would prefer that they are immediately replaced instead of them filling an area in the back of the park first and leaving us with a new vacant location right in the front of the park where everyone coming in with be welcomed with a big plot of nothing 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, johnjniehaus said:

All I'm saying is if Invertigo and congo lifespan can't be prolonged I would prefer that they are immediately replaced instead of them filling an area in the back of the park first and leaving us with a new vacant location right in the front of the park where everyone coming in with be welcomed with a big plot of nothing 

That’s my view- like what you said, The Vortex plot has been vacant for a while so people are used to it. If they remove Invertigo and Congo Falls and replace Vortex, the front will look bare and uninviting. I think they should have something in the works for when Invertigo and Congo eventually leave. If those two get replaced in 2026 and Vortex gets replaced in 2030, I wouldn’t be upset.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

That’s my view- like what you said, The Vortex plot has been vacant for a while so people are used to it. If they remove Invertigo and Congo Falls and replace Vortex, the front will look bare and uninviting. I think they should have something in the works for when Invertigo and Congo eventually leave. If those two get replaced in 2026 and Vortex gets replaced in 2030, I wouldn’t be upset.

If that is something the park wants to do for 2026, then we'll know by next year. Invertigo and Congo Falls would have to close in 2024 so the park can start construction in 2025.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2