Area 72 Launch Party

IndyGuy4KI

I had the chance to experience the Area 72 Launch Party this past weekend. It is a very cool event and hope to see more entertainment like this in the future.  Here are some pictures and video of the event by Kings Island. My photos did not come out the best with the lights. @Cedar Fair Fanboy you might see a few pictures of you in my photos.

What did you think of the Area 72 Launch Party?

• Like 1

The last time I was at the park, I attended the Launch Party twice and loved it. I talked about it a bit in the KI 2021 thread but long story short, there was great music, I breakdanced and really enjoyed the dance party. Having a juggler (along with the MC, DJ and dancers) was cool as well

• Like 2

We'll be going next weekend. So Carnivale will also be going on. Does 7pm Royal Dance Party, grab drinks and snacks, head to Coney for the Parade stop, then Area 72 Dance party seem doable? Seems insane to spend 3 hours dancing but kid says otherwise.

• Like 1

I was not impressed when this was announced, and I still am neutral on it after I have seen it twice.  Partly cool but mostly flat.  Creates a major bottleneck and I think it would work better in Action Zone.  The conga line and rock-paper-sizzors are too corny for my taste, an the screen could be used much more effectively.  Juggler is awesome though as are the dancers.  I hope this first attempt leads to an advancement next year in a better venue.  

3 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I was not impressed when this was announced, and I still am neutral on it after I have seen it twice.  Partly cool but mostly flat.  Creates a major bottleneck and I think it would work better in Action Zone.  The conga line and rock-paper-sizzors are too corny for my taste, an the screen could be used much more effectively.  Juggler is awesome though as are the dancers.  I hope this first attempt leads to an advancement next year in a better venue.  

How's the view of the fireworks from Action Zone vs. Area 72? 

This is a really neat event, but does cause a bottleneck with a large group of people and jams things up for others trying to get back to Orion or Flight of Fear entrances at the end of the night.  Just seems strange that this small area location seems to go against KIs own Code of Conduct “Gathering in Groups that Block Midways” - definitely should consider a larger location away from ride entrances if continued next season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Would it still be called Area 72 Launch Party if they moved it to say Action Zone? :P 

What about the view of the fireworks view from Area 72 that this event is supposed to build up to?

It belongs in Area 72, they just need to make room for it off the midway.  There is an empty plot between Racer and Flight of Fear….

Attended the dance party again tonight, and while I had a great time (I breakdanced to "Hit me baby one more time" once the bass dropped), I was wondering if/why the same music is played every time. Yes, the songs played are so hype and (hopefully) get people dancing, but I guess I expected the DJ to switch it up every time. Also, although I loved "Bye, Bye, Bye" (by *Nsync), I really think "The Game is Over" would be a better choice thematically as it references video games and seems to fit  Area 72 more as it sounds more "electronic" than "Bye, Bye, Bye".

Here is "The Game is Over" for your listening pleasure:

2 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

Attended the dance party again tonight, and while I had a great time (I breakdanced to "Hit me baby one more time" once the bass dropped), I was wondering if/why the same music is played every time.

it seems Cedar Fair really cut back on their song licensing fees this year.  The same playlists are being used at multiple shows at different parks under different show names.    And then there is the horrible outdated music loops playing all day long in the parks.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, super7 said:

it seems Cedar Fair really cut back on their song licensing fees this year.  The same playlists are being used at multiple shows at different parks under different show names.    And then there is the horrible outdated music loops playing all day long in the parks.   

Ok, that makes sense!

• 1 year later...