Cedar Point removes picnic grove

First this is likely just a start and the picnic structure next to it is likely to come down as well.  Likely after haunt ends.  I can think of several different projects this space could be used for.  

Executives have expressed a desire to build a harmony hall style restaurant theatre.  I remember Jason McClure stating the biggest problem was having a place to build it.  I actually hope this is not what it will be used for. I want the park to build something like this in a more central location.

The park has also been discussing building a dark ride for a while as well.  

Finally as a space to move rides from somewhere else in the park to build a larger project somewhere else.  The author of the article suggests it’s to make room around Wicked Twister.  Which is where it has long been rumored a GCI would be located.  I could see this, clean up this site.  Relocate flat rides over the winter, and build the ride in 2022 for a 2023 opening.  Even if it’s not flat rides coming from around Wicked Twister, I still feel this is the most likely answer.  Moving rides to open up a hole to build a 2023 attraction.

• Like 1

The park has been looking to potentially keep facilities related to employee access consolidated. Currently some of it is on the mainland and some of it is on the peninsula itself. The park uses the area to drop off employees for shifts.

If one was to build a ride there, you would need excessively deep piles to anchor the ride and to prevent impacts from other rides.

Considering that they’re moving everything off the mainland, maybe they are planning to move some of the parking lot off property, as they have been buying up dozens of properties.

27 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

I don’t disagree with that but if the goal is to continue to give away the gate and pack’em in they might opt for another capacity monster and we all know what that means.  

What type would you think it would be? They have most of the models.

A GCI would move lines just fine, especially if has three trains like Mystic Timbers.

The only remaining B&M model that would give CP something they don't already have in some form would be a flyer (which, also happens to be the only B&M model that is not great in the capacity, rerideability, nor reliability realms IMO).

It's also worth noting that Cedar Fair has never built a ground-up flying coaster for any of its parks.

Obviously, things can change, as they had never purchased a Dive coaster until 2016. But in this case, I wouldn't consider the chances of a flying coaster being built at any CF park to be very high in the foreseeable future. 

As this relates to CP, a modern wooden coaster from GCI or Gravity Group makes perfect sense for them.

• Like 3

Before people get ahead of themselves...

Screenshots_2021-07-15-09-26-48~2.png

The red square is where Picnic Grove used to be. As you can see its right off the main entrance which is prime real estate for any park, especially one like CP. The blue arrow is just a vehicle access point.

I don't see how on earth a coaster would be put there without removing Blue Streak so I'd say a roller coaster isn't even plausible unless you're adding in something small and compact like a wild mouse.

As for employee dorms.... Its possible but still unlikely. Cedar Point built a ton of dorms off property and just demolished Cedars, their old, last remaining on property dorms after 2018. I don't think Cedar Point would built a dorm inside park perimeters let alone that close to the main entrance.

So what will go there? In my opinion it has a lot to do with money. Picnic pavilions don't make parks money unless they're used for events like ours is. In all honesty I'm putting money on either a restaurant or retail building of some kind or possibly a flat ride. Something like a wild mouse could go there but I don't see the point.

• Thanks 1

As the blog post said the pavilion next to BS is the only one removed, the larger one behind Coca-Cola Oasis is still standing. That is not a ton of space.  As SoB said it is an expense and if there were structural problems or needed roof work they may have just removed it with no plans to put anything there. The few times I have ventured over that way there were not many coolers on tables. I suspect with the meal plans now fewer people use it than in years past. 

One possibility if the structure did have issues is just replacing it with cheaper sail shades and still having a semi-covered picnic area.  

@gforce1994 Why would that particular location need excessively deep piles over any of the other rides that are close together in the park?  Is the geology different there?

52 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

What became of the site of where the Cedars Dorms were once located?  Seems like that area could be ripe for some kind of new development.

It was used as a course for that monster truck ride a couple of years ago but is now just leveled back and empty. Not particularly landscaped or anything so they may have plans to use it again for something soon. 

Many have suggested they reroute Perimeter Rd. to include that area inside the park for something. The problem I see with that is it appears sewers or other utilities are under the road given the large rectangular concrete manholes (manrectangulars? :P) in the middle of the road making such a project costly if those had to be moved as well.  

The sewer system is one of those civil engineering issues I have always wondered about with CP.  We all know the water main is run under the causeway but where does the wastewater go?  I don’t think there is a treatment plant on the peninsula and surely they can’t just dump raw sewage into the lake. 

38 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

The sewer system is one of those civil engineering issues I have always wondered about with CP.  We all know the water main is run under the causeway but where does the wastewater go?  I don’t think there is a treatment plant on the peninsula and surely they can’t just dump raw sewage into the lake. 

Quick look at houses along Cedar Point Road show public water and sewer per real estate listings.  It is likely there are local gravity sewers with a hidden pump station (or multiple pump stations) somewhere and a "force main" connection over to the mainland sewer system.  In the wastewater world, it isn't necessarily true that "all **** goes downhill" :D

• Haha 1

Yep.  There are lots of pump stations and "force mains" to get sewage to the treatment plant.  But generally waste lines are not under pressure such as water lines, so they are not as prone to breaking like water lines.  Not to say that they don`t break and cause sink holes, etc. Its just not as likely.

4 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

As the blog post said the pavilion next to BS is the only one removed, the larger one behind Coca-Cola Oasis is still standing. That is not a ton of space.  As SoB said it is an expense and if there were structural problems or needed roof work they may have just removed it with no plans to put anything there. The few times I have ventured over that way there were not many coolers on tables. I suspect with the meal plans now fewer people use it than in years past. 

One possibility if the structure did have issues is just replacing it with cheaper sail shades and still having a semi-covered picnic area.  

@gforce1994 Why would that particular location need excessively deep piles over any of the other rides that are close together in the park?  Is the geology different there?

That’s the area of the park with the lowest elevation and floods frequently. With it being so close to the lake as well, if you wanted to build a tall coaster, you would need to have deep piles in order to deal with all the stresses.

• Like 1