Grand Carnivale 2021 changes and reviews

BoddaH1994

Last night was my first experience with the Grand Carnival. My kids go to bed around 8 so we are usually long gone by the time the parade starts.  However last night we stayed out late. 
The parade was amazing. Not in my wildest dreams did I think a ten minute parade could be that much fun. The dancing the floats. The stilt walkers. All good stuff. I even got some needs and didn’t have to flash anybody. 
Seriously make time for the parade. 

Does anyone know how they staff the parade?  There were a bunch of people involved. Do they have other park jobs and just get dressed up for the parade?  Finding that many people to do a couple of hours of work a night would seem like a difficult take to me. 

• Like 4

Most of the parade “cast” is out and about in character from 5 on. They are roaming their respective areas until parade time, then all assemble. The support staff (traffic control, safety etc) do have other jobs I believe (Manning info/craft booth, guest assistance, etc) but also join the parade at “go time”. They learned the choreography for the dance break, so it’s not like they just randomly grab associates and give them carnivale  shirts. Not sure if people “signed up” to work the parade from other roles and are just trained in 1-2 practices and scheduled accordingly, but that’s my guess that only the “featured costumed performers” are actually cast by entertainment. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AnyPancakes said:

Last night was my first experience with the Grand Carnival. My kids go to bed around 8 so we are usually long gone by the time the parade starts.  However last night we stayed out late. 
The parade was amazing. Not in my wildest dreams did I think a ten minute parade could be that much fun. The dancing the floats. The stilt walkers. All good stuff. I even got some needs and didn’t have to flash anybody. 
Seriously make time for the parade. 

Does anyone know how they staff the parade?  There were a bunch of people involved. Do they have other park jobs and just get dressed up for the parade?  Finding that many people to do a couple of hours of work a night would seem like a difficult take to me. 

It was our first Carnivale, I'll say I'm already planning to save a few more vacation days at work next year so I can go more than once. 

I know one of the noncostumed workers with the Spain float works in the crafts area. That guy is "COMPLETLY AWESOME" to my kid lol

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AnyPancakes said:

As someone in the cast, my days are ~8 hours long. I start by getting costume and makeup on, then I'm in the opening processions and out and about near bandstand until it's time for the parade, then I do that. After the parade I hang around bandstand until fireworks are over. When it isn't Carnivale time, I'm a tech in Entertainment. Most of the cast are in other shows / have other jobs in the park throughout the rest of the season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2021 at 11:14 PM, Snowball said:

As someone in the cast, my days are ~8 hours long. I start by getting costume and makeup on, then I'm in the opening processions and out and about near bandstand until it's time for the parade, then I do that. After the parade I hang around bandstand until fireworks are over. When it isn't Carnivale time, I'm a tech in Entertainment. Most of the cast are in other shows / have other jobs in the park throughout the rest of the season.

Snowball,  seen you several times and never said hello, but wanted to thank you for what you do.

In addition I'd like to thank everyone involved with Carnivale.  It is an enormous success made mostly by the people (culinary team included) involved.  From the Carnival King and Queen to the staff of the Crafts tent to the performers in the shows, to the sweeps who follow the parade to pick up the leftovers THANK YOU ALL for what you do.  I've enjoyed the event 4 times this year and unfortunately won't be making it to your final night (I'll be at CP with the grandkids).

I was hoping to be here for the final day and was planning on the kids makings signs saying "Thank You Grand Carnivale"  I think it's a fitting gesture to such an awesome event.  Maybe some others on here will take the cue to give a little gesture of gratitude to the staff of KI that works so hard to make 16 days of summer over and above entertaining.

Again Snowball to you and your fellow cast/staff, please let them know that they are appreciated, loved, and we will miss the Carnivale until it (hopefully) makes it's magical return next year.  

Maybe I'll get a chance to say hello during haunt :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2021 at 11:14 PM, Snowball said:

You’re on stilts, right? 

Is your lower back just miserable by the end of the night? It just seems like it would be tough to do that all day. 

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I know the last time they did Carnivale in 2019, they took a bunch people from rides and other departments to help with it. Didn't seem like they did that as much this year as I heard it is mainly the entertainment department doing it. 

In general, I feel like Kings Island is better staffed this season than years past. I know this wasn’t the case earlier in the season, but I think the wage increases convinced a lot of people to apply who wouldn’t have applied otherwise. At the beginning of the season, the park was moving people from different departments all over the place. LOL! When Rivertown Freestyle is basically open everyday now, that says something about staffing. Some of the midway games have been closed all season, but I think that was more of a cost-saving decision than not being able to find workers.

• Like 3

4th time. It’s BUSY, and I’m still walking around with a goofy grin thinking, “this is EXACTLY what this park should look like!” So much energy, so much “fun”. Seeing kids dancing in the street, drummers just randomly “parading” around, people chilling on sofas eating good food. It just feels “different” I’m alone tonight, and I’ve had great conversations with total strangers. Events like this seem to put people in a more “get along” mood. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I know the last time they did Carnivale in 2019, they took a bunch people from rides and other departments to help with it. Didn't seem like they did that as much this year as I heard it is mainly the entertainment department doing it. 

They had 3 other full cast live shows in 2018 on the regular schedule and those performers except cirque were in the parade.   This year they have 1 full  (but excellent) show in the regular schedule 

The cutback in luge entertainment this year was definitely budget motived as the whole park has operated as a COVID fest all season. 

15 hours ago, robintodd said:

Snowball,  seen you several times and never said hello, but wanted to thank you for what you do.

Again Snowball to you and your fellow cast/staff, please let them know that they are appreciated, loved, and we will miss the Carnivale until it (hopefully) makes it's magical return next year.  

Maybe I'll get a chance to say hello during haunt :)

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the kind words!! And I’ll be there at haunt!

14 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

You’re on stilts, right? 

Is your lower back just miserable by the end of the night? It just seems like it would be tough to do that all day. 

Yes I am! For the first couple nights my calves and feet were aching quite bad, but now I feel totally fine after walking around on them. It’s just as easy walking on stilts as walking on the ground at this point.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Snowball said:

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the kind words!! And I’ll be there at haunt!

Yes I am! For the first couple nights my calves and feet were aching quite bad, but now I feel totally fine after walking around on them. It’s just as easy walking on stilts as walking on the ground at this point.

Interesting! I actually did an event with Cincy Circus years ago and their stilt walker said the same thing. He said it seemed like just like your normal legs with extensions. I imagine the weight is what you need to get used to. 

How did you get chosen as a stilt walker? I know the park trains you, but what’s their thought process? 

23 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Interesting! I actually did an event with Cincy Circus years ago and their stilt walker said the same thing. He said it seemed like just like your normal legs with extensions. I imagine the weight is what you need to get used to. 

How did you get chosen as a stilt walker? I know the park trains you, but what’s their thought process? 

I normally have another job in entertainment and they told me that I can do something for Carnivale. They gave me the options of being a driver, a guide, party patrol, or a stilt walker, and I chose stilt walker. I didn’t even have any experience on stilts!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snowball said:

I normally have another job in entertainment and they told me that I can do something for Carnivale. They gave me the options of being a driver, a guide, party patrol, or a stilt walker, and I chose stilt walker. I didn’t even have any experience on stilts!

What’s party patrol? The people who wear the GC shirts but aren’t characters?

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

@Snowball thank you for all you have done to make Grand Carnivale excellent  Because of work being short staffed, I have only made it up there once this year and it was great!  Please pass the feeling on to your coworkers who really made KI magical this summer.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

My family went last night, and we were unimpressed.  The tastings cost more than an actual meal, and the food was so American it made our heads spin.  The opening to the show was incredibly cheesy and very drawn out.  Why bring in a drum line and then have them stand with their hands behind their backs?  Why have a drum track when you have several more than qualified drummers?  We didn’t even make to you the acrobatics.  As for “cultural music” we’re really going with Ricky Martin and “Informer” by Snow?  We passed by a “German” man wearing lederhosen and bright pink blush - he seemed like more of a caricature than anything.  In fact, all of the representations were very cartoonish.  I did not feel like any country was represented well.  It almost appeared as though they were being mocked.  

6 hours ago, SnowAngel said:

We passed by a “German” man wearing lederhosen and bright pink blush - he seemed like more of a caricature than anything.  In fact, all of the representations were very cartoonish.

We’re you also upset the first time you learned that the paw patrol dogs do not act like real dogs?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@SnowAngel You have a very good point that Carnivale is not a very accurate representation of the countries and is very cartoonish. But Carnivale, parades in general, celebration festivals, circuses, Disney parks, even Broadway plays are exaggerated and cartoonish. Seriously, who talks like they do in theatre or just starts singing and dancing in the middle of a conflict?  That is what they do. Ever seen the Sopranos episode where Tony and his gang travel to Italy to do business?  He can’t stand the food complaining everything has fish in it. If KI tried to serve true authentic cuisine, very few people would eat it. 

Carnivale and things like it are not my thing either and it is only mildly amusing to me as we happen to pass by it onto our next destination.  However many people do and especially kids.  Sure a trip to Paris, Beijing, or Rio would be ideal but most of the people do not have the resources to experience the rest of the world in person, but they do enjoy a taste of it in their dwindling leisure time.

A visit it KI is not about the real world it is an escape from it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, SnowAngel said:

My family went last night, and we were unimpressed.  The tastings cost more than an actual meal, and the food was so American it made our heads spin.  The opening to the show was incredibly cheesy and very drawn out.  Why bring in a drum line and then have them stand with their hands behind their backs?  Why have a drum track when you have several more than qualified drummers?  We didn’t even make to you the acrobatics.  As for “cultural music” we’re really going with Ricky Martin and “Informer” by Snow?  We passed by a “German” man wearing lederhosen and bright pink blush - he seemed like more of a caricature than anything.  In fact, all of the representations were very cartoonish.  I did not feel like any country was represented well.  It almost appeared as though they were being mocked.  

I can see your point for a lot of this, and a lot of it has crossed my mind too. I do have some counter thoughts though.

The opening ceremony has been widely discussed in this thread as being too long. I think someone put it best: do your dance, shoot the streamers, then let us eat. By the time we get to the “MASTERS” of ceremony, everyone seem to be really over it. 

Of course the food is Americanized. They’re selling tasting cards, not trying to educate you on the countries. This is Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure, not PBS. It has to be palatable to Americans.

• Like 3

I think next time needs to be a blend of “best of” from this year and 2019. The lack of real “cultural entertainment “ was very noticeable this year. I didn’t like grouping everything onto the main stage and replacing Chinese acrobats and Italian opera singers with generic “carnival” acts, but I got it from a staffing and cost standpoint. It was easier to hire more “circus acts”  that could cross over into the parade. It is more of a cultural appropriation fest than a cultural fest, but I think they can hit a better balance next time. The scavenger hunt did talk about facts from each country, but it was very hard to hear the video (with the Expedia ad that popped up first) and I don’t think they did a very good job of promoting it. 
next time I think they need to go back to small, authentic acts in each country, not “kids in costume” hanging around, do a craft or activity that actually teaches something in each country, or not promote it as a “cultural festival” since that sets expectations a bit high. Maybe an “internationally inspired party” is what I would’ve called this year. 

On 8/2/2021 at 11:36 AM, King Ding Dong said:

@SnowAngel You have a very good point that Carnivale is not a very accurate representation of the countries and is very cartoonish. But Carnivale, parades in general, celebration festivals, circuses, Disney parks, even Broadway plays are exaggerated and cartoonish. Seriously, who talks like they do in theatre or just starts singing and dancing in the middle of a conflict?  That is what they do. Ever seen the Sopranos episode where Tony and his gang travel to Italy to do business?  He can’t stand the food complaining everything has fish in it. If KI tried to serve true authentic cuisine, very few people would eat it. 

Carnivale and things like it are not my thing either and it is only mildly amusing to me as we happen to pass by it onto our next destination.  However many people do and especially kids.  Sure a trip to Paris, Beijing, or Rio would be ideal but most of the people do not have the resources to experience the rest of the world in person, but they do enjoy a taste of it in their dwindling leisure time.

A visit it KI is not about the real world it is an escape from it.

I'd personally not care for authentic cuisine, but kid would. She's the adventurous one but I didn't buy a tasting card for just her lol. Far as Germany goes, we have Oktoberfest every year here, so the cartoonist Germans didn't stand out as any different than what I'm use to. We actually skipped that booth, cause we'll have 3 days of too many choices soon enough.