Girl, 14, dies at Land of Illusion Aqua Adventures

I've never been there, but found this extended clip to gt a sense for the park.  One thing I noticed, was there didn't appear to be an abundance of life gaurds stationed.  Maybe saw one in the whole video.  Certainly its possible there were plenty there off camera, but just seems like there is a lack of life gaurd stations to even stage them and keep an eye on everything.  Having just been to Cedar Pointe's water park, there are life gaurds everywhere that people can get in the water.  Lazy river?  One is never out of site and often there are 2 or more in site (and clearly they are trainied to have their eyes constantly scanning the river).  Same story in the wave pool, seemed like there were always 12 or more on duty, didn't count by they had many stationed on each side of the wave pool.  Multiple guards at the top of each ride, multiple guards at the bottom.

Are life jackets mandatory?  Seems like from a liability standpoint, they should be at that park.  Don't know how deep the water is, but gotta figure its at least 10 feet deep in several areas where they are jumping off of large "cliffs".  Tragic to here that anyone died, I wonder what lead up to the incident.  Was she a good swimmer?  Hit her head on something where she feel too far down due to not having a life jacket on.  Get caught under a float?  How many life guards were stationed?  Lots of questions to be asked.

• Like 1

From my experience at scout camps that have those iceberg things life jackets are required which should make it extremely difficult to get caught under one or hit the lake bed.  30 minutes before they puller her out?  Drives home to me why BSA requires a “buddy” at all times on the lake and you better be within arms reach of your buddy when they blow the whistle for “buddy checks” ever 10 minutes or so.  

Wouldn’t be surprised if the cause was an equipment malfunction or two kids colliding.  Was offered a trampoline by a neighbor years ago and took a pass on it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

Why does it have to take a tragedy for complaints to surface?  Time will tell if they are legitimate complaints or internet trollers.

https://www.wlwt.com/article/sheriff-looking-into-potential-regulation-violations-at-middletown-water-park-where-teen-died/37103597

Hard to say. On one hand, if someone got hurt on a Kings Island ride then you’d have a million people on social media claiming that they have seen multiple deaths on that ride. On the other hand, if there are life guards, life jackets, and a lot of people there I’d have some tough questions too. 

Not directly related to the incident at hand, but Kings Island, Cedar Point, Coney Island and even Disney use the Ellis and Associates.  You can see the companies that use them on their website here:  https://jellis.com/about-us/our-clients

I know from my experience at Coney that the lifeguards go through some pretty rigorous training.  And the training is on going through out the course of the year with inservices, and trainings using a doll/dummy for life rescue trainings.

Not sure what Land of Illusion used, but that Aqua Adventure park has only been open for a couple of years.

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

Disney teaches its lifeguards in house using the Red Cross course.

Same is true for all of them. I’m a little more familiar with Ellis than Red Cross, but Ellis has trainers that are local to each location (employees of those locations) and they come periodically and audit the locations. I’d assume that the same is true for Red Cross, even at Disney.