The Probable Reason Why Orion is 3/4 of a Giga

super7

It appears it was built on a California hyper coaster  budget 

https://www.coaster101.com/2021/07/23/orion-behind-the-scenes-at-kings-island-coasterstock-2021/

“Originally, Cedar Fair had a contract with B&M to build a hyper-coaster, dubbed “Megabite”, for sister park California’s Great America.

When the construction costs for that ride went up Cedar Fair decided in June of 2018 to move the ride to Kings Island and redesign it specifically for their park.”

15 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

It was a $31 million budget.

You should really read Kings Island: A Ride Through Time. I think you would find it enlightening!

The way I read it in the book was that they were committed to building a B&M. Since the one in CA fell through they simply built a coaster at KI instead. It’s not clear whether they designed it from the ground up or just scaled up the one intended for CGA. Maybe you can shed some light on that. 

6 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

The way I read it in the book was that they were committed to building a B&M. Since the one in CA fell through they simply built a coaster at KI instead. It’s not clear whether they designed it from the ground up or just scaled up the one intended for CGA. Maybe you can shed some light on that. 

It was redesigned from scratch. The layout we have is 100% a Kings Island layout. 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, super7 said:

It appears it was built on a California hyper coaster  budget 

https://www.coaster101.com/2021/07/23/orion-behind-the-scenes-at-kings-island-coasterstock-2021/

“Originally, Cedar Fair had a contract with B&M to build a hyper-coaster, dubbed “Megabite”, for sister park California’s Great America.

When the construction costs for that ride went up Cedar Fair decided in June of 2018 to move the ride to Kings Island and redesign it specifically for their park.”

I mean Orion costs just as much if not more than Fury 325 (which I believe had cost around 30 million dollars). Doesn’t  exactly scream hyper coaster budget.

• Like 2

Steel in 2014 (when Fury track would have been made) was around $650 per ton and was going for around $830 per ton when Orion track was being made in 2019...had Fury been announced for 2016 and thus track would have been built in 2015 it would have been $460/ton...just think it may have been Fury386 then!  And right now steel is going for about $1,900 per ton.

Moral of story - steel prices adjust substantially year to year based on supply/demand...

• Like 4

Here is why.  The ride is supposed to generate guest and money for the park.  People dont care about an extra 13ft or extra 1000ft of track. This would have cost the park millions of dollars extra with no increased ROI. My biggest complaint with Orion is location.  I think the ride would have been better served towards the front of the park and be interactive with the park entrance. 

• Like 2

I hope they never change the essence of the front entrance to the park.  Updates, for sure, new restaurant/ticket counters/customer service/entry ques....absolutely.  Essence - leave it like it is.

What is this Essence that I'm talking about?  Its about the slow gradual incline from the parking lot up to the front entry plaza.  I could do w/o the security aspect cluttering things up, but its the reality we have to live with, and as such, I actually think they have placed the security clearances fairly well.  Anhoo, back to the point.... the slow walk up the inclined entry, sure you see the tower, you see some rides, you hear some going, but you don't really get a feel for the park.  You proceed to the ticket counter if needed, or straight for the pass/ticket scanners.  Now the ground is relatively flat, its relatively quit and its absolutely shady.  You can hear the excitement in the air, but if you've never been you don't get a sense for what is about to hit you.  As you proceed into the park, you get the 180 flip from shaded cover to full sun.  You get the full view of the tower, the sounds of the fountains, the smell of the baked goods, food and sweets.  It all combines in a flash to hit you like a ton of bricks and lets you know that you've arrived somewhere special.  Above all else, the essence of the front entry they nailed.  I have never been to an amusement park that nails it quite like Kings Island has nailed their front entrance.  Disneyworld is pretty solid with the castle in view, but you don't get the rush of fountains that makes KI's better.   I haven't been to as many amusement parks as others, but in my mind, they couldn't have done it any better.  Sure the building/restaurant could use a face lift/update as mentioned earlier, but the feel, the smells, the sounds as you step into the open area is as good a feeling as you can find.

• Like 8

A HUGE problem with a front gate coaster is that it would be going into the maintenance area and I'm pretty sure the park is going to be very reluctant in moving all that to make it aesthetically pleasing for a coaster.  That along with the proximity of the employee entrance and the handicapped parking to the front gate as well.  There's also simply just too many buildings and important infrastructure cluttered around the front gate to remove which, IMO, would also lose the appeal of International Street.  The gate, the buildings along side, the fountain, and the Eiffel Tower should remain the centerpieces of the entrance IMO.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

A HUGE problem with a front gate coaster is that it would be going into the maintenance area and I'm pretty sure the park is going to be very reluctant in moving all that to make it aesthetically pleasing for a coaster.  That along with the proximity of the employee entrance and the handicapped parking to the front gate as well.  There's also simply just too many buildings and important infrastructure cluttered around the front gate to remove which, IMO, would also lose the appeal of International Street.  The gate, the buildings along side, the fountain, and the Eiffel Tower should remain the centerpieces of the entrance IMO.  

You do realize the only original building at the gate is the main building itself. The others were adding years later. I could see the ticket buildings getting razed and the front being redesigned but keeping the original front building itself. It would very easy for them to put a front gate coaster in if they chose.   

There appears to be plenty of room in front and left of the front gate for some coaster track. This would be more like Leviathan at CW than GateKeeper CP.

In my opinion this is a better option because it retains the feel of the existing entrance plaza, but still creates a fun dynamic of bringing a coaster “outside” of the park. When I visited CW, the “parking lot” elements of  Leviathan did create a fun effect. 

3E2D1614-3559-41BA-B899-AE3F51CB2304.png

• Like 2

The book provides a great description of the planning for Orion and it is clear that they did not just take the hypercoaster layout and budget and giga-size it for Orion.  Also, the front of the park looks really nice with the trees and doesn't need a coaster necessarily clogging it up.  Although, I wouldn't mind seeing Invertigo leaving and an RMC or junior hyper taking over that spot.  I'd hate to lose Timberwolf but it is really only used three days a year (unless I am forgetting something) and is taking up some vital land.  The superstructure of a wood coaster would be an inviting view from outside of the park in that location.

• Thanks 1

Leviathan, GateKeeper, and Fury 325 work as front gate coasters because they are wedged in and become the 1st thing people see. KI already has a great skyline so having a giga where a bunch of trees used to be would look ugly IMO. 

Besides, I like how Orion is in the back. If it was in the front foot traffic would be somewhat limited to the front of the park. Orion keeps people going to the back left of the park. You need some balance. Imagine CP without Maverick and Steel Vengeance in the back to balance out the rides in the front.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Leviathan, GateKeeper, and Fury 325 work as front gate coasters because they are wedged in and become the 1st thing people see. KI already has a great skyline so having a giga where a bunch of trees used to be would look ugly IMO. 

Besides, I like how Orion is in the back. If it was in the front foot traffic would be somewhat limited to the front of the park. Orion keeps people going to the back left of the park. You need some balance. Imagine CP without Maverick and Steel Vengeance in the back to balance out the rides in the front.

Something that might work in a tight space and look gorgeous up front and probably only need the removal of Invertigo and maybe a few trees or Invertigo and Congo Falls or Invertigo and Timberwolf is a S&S – Sansei steel looping coaster like Steel Curtain or even their upcoming Axis Coaster which can be a lift hill or a LIM launch (this might take up even less room)

Front gate coasters are basically parking lot coasters.    The overall location for Orion is fine.  One can see it and build anticipation from the moment they come through the gate.   Although they should have stayed farther away from The Beast. 

• Like 2