Beast extended downtime

BoddaH1994

Since everyone knows but no one is saying anything, I thought I’d break the ice and start a thread discussing The Beast’s downtime over the past several days. The rumor going around is that it may be down for the season however the park has not indicated a reason for its downtime or a timetable for its reopening. 

Let’s hope the “big guy” starts feeling better soon, as we could have really used him yesterday with the crowds! 

• Like 4

"It must be a demon inside the mechanical room.  We've had stories about it rattling around at night."

That's the kind of answer I usually get.  Saw on queue-times that Beast was down but thought I was just lucky on timing.  It's been down for days?

There's a few obvious answers.  The track itself is ok, so we have the mechanical things (chain, brakes, bearings) and the electrical things (motors, control systems, sensors).  The mechanical stuff they probably have spares.  That leaves us with wiring issues, probably sensors.  Sensor store isn't open on weekends? :)

I only go on weekdays because I can, and because less crowd.  There are only a handful of weekday 10PM closes remaining.  Beast night rides are done.

51 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Since everyone knows but no one is saying anything, I thought I’d break the ice and start a thread discussing The Beast’s downtime over the past several days. The rumor going around is that it may be down for the season however the park has not indicated a reason for its downtime or a timetable for its reopening. 

Let’s hope the “big guy” starts feeling better soon, as we could have really used him yesterday with the crowds! 

Let's just hope its back up soon. :)

I'd suggest going to Racer and get in some rides or Mystic.     

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeorby Nanpa said:

"It must be a demon inside the mechanical room.  We've had stories about it rattling around at night."

That's the kind of answer I usually get.  Saw on queue-times that Beast was down but thought I was just lucky on timing.  It's been down for days?

There's a few obvious answers.  The track itself is ok, so we have the mechanical things (chain, brakes, bearings) and the electrical things (motors, control systems, sensors).  The mechanical stuff they probably have spares.  That leaves us with wiring issues, probably sensors.  Sensor store isn't open on weekends? :)

I only go on weekdays because I can, and because less crowd.  There are only a handful of weekday 10PM closes remaining.  Beast night rides are done.

There really aren’t many night rides to be had during the summer.  It doesn’t get dark until after 9 and they close the coaster most of that time for fireworks.     It’s ridiculous to close a star attraction (beast night rides) for 5 minutes of silliness. 

• Like 1

I would highly doubt that it would be down for the rest of the season.  I am sure that the park wants to get the ride back open as soon as possible.  Unless something like the lift motor went out, and they cant get a new one due to the shortage facing other products, I would hope that whatever it is, they can get it fixed.  The ride is still one of the park`s signature rides.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, super7 said:

There really aren’t many night rides to be had during the summer.  It doesn’t get dark until after 9 and they close the coaster most of that time for fireworks.     It’s ridiculous to close a star attraction (beast night rides) for 5 minutes of silliness. 

Well, that 5 minutes might be the highlight of some kids day. 

• Like 3

My brother and I were waiting in line for it last Thursday night at the back row when it went down. Waited a few minutes when the op at the back told is it would probably be down for a while and said "our trains are a hot mess right now", take that for what you will. Seeing as fireworks weren't long away we left the line.

Edit: trains were still being cycled when it closed so I would think the lifts are fine.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rivertown Rider said:

I did get a ride on it Thursday shortly before it went down and I would say it was riding rougher than normal.  Hopefully it is back to operating soon.

I can confirm. I rode on the 17th of last month and the bottom of one of the drops (the drop after the first tunnel) felt like an earthquake and it reminded me of Mean Streak. I was surprised as this usually is a fun part of the ride and is the one part where I put my hands up.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, super7 said:

Actually I don't mind the way it is.  True, you miss the fireworks but as long as you're in line by 10 you do get to ride.  Because they need to make sure the track is clear of debris it starts back up at 10:20 or so making the rides at night that much later and therefore darker.  Loved the one I had 2 Thursdays ago.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

I can confirm. I rode on the 17th of last month and the bottom of one of the drops (the drop after the first tunnel) felt like an earthquake and it reminded me of Mean Streak. I was surprised as this usually is a fun part of the ride and is the one part where I put my hands up.

I last rode on the 24th. I was assigned to Row 9 (unsure which train), and it was one of the rougher rides I've had on The Beast, especially between the first drop and the brake shed. Not as bad as (for example) The Boss, but out of character here.

It was riding well all over the train at Coasterstock (Jul 9-10). Hopefully whatever issues it's having are resolved soon.

• Like 1

Row 16 for me... interesting so many of us have a fave row.  Pic: XVI

If that first valley after the first left-turn is damaged, you'd throw a bit of lumber on it and be ready sooner?  Still seems odd. 

Was gonna slip in a couple weeknights this week, but really it's for Beast at 9:05pm.  :(

xvi.jpg

• Like 2

I rode The Beast a bunch of times earlier this season and the only really bad place I remember was right before the underground tunnel after the brake shed. I typically ride rows 14 and 17, so towards the back of the train but not over a wheel, although I have ridden in other rows including over wheels this season.  Overall I think the ride is running rougher then previous seasons but not 100% certain, definitely rougher then I typically like.

But based on rumors I heard earlier this year I suspect the ride downtime is due to the control system.  I have heard the ride has had issues turning on some mornings this season and if the problems have continued or gotten worse I could see it having some unplanned downtime.  If what I heard was accurate it sounds a lot more complicated then just a sensor or two not working.

• Like 3

I rode on Wednesday, July 28. I thought the first ride was rough in row 5 but the 2nd ride was relatively non-rough later in the afternoon. 2nd ride was in the 2nd to last row. 
During the first ride at around noon, there were a lot of official KI workers and their vehicles on the roads by the track … noticed them mostly around the 2nd lift hill. 

Sounds like it won’t be open tomorrow. :-(

• Sad 1

My brother and I were waiting in line for it last Thursday night at the back row when it went down. Waited a few minutes when the op at the back told is it would probably be down for a while and said "our trains are a hot mess right now", take that for what you will. Seeing as fireworks weren't long away we left the line.

Edit: trains were still being cycled when it closed so I would think the lifts are fine.

Trains have been a mess for a while. I honestly wish they would remove the horrible PTCs and install Timberliners. And yes, Timberliners would work and do fit on The Beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I’m no expert on the subject, but I did happen to be at Kings Island on Saturday. The Beast was closed all day.

While at the Mystic Timbers post-ride photo station, two female park employees were discussing the situation. This is what I heard:

“Are you working The Beast today?” “No, didn’t you hear? It’s closed for the rest of the season!” “Wow, really?!” “Major technical issues, it’ll be down for awhile”.

Later on, I approached a member of the park staff that appeared to be monitoring guest experiences and directing various guests to any certain ride or destination they were looking for. I decided to ask this woman if she knew when The Beast would be back up and running. She simply told me, it won’t be up today.

I know you probably receive a lot of speculation on these subjects, but I’ve noticed it wasn’t open yesterday and isn’t open again today either. Since Thursday night it has been closed.

Interestingly enough, the lights for the station, queue, and top of the lift hill were on Saturday night though. That led me to potentially believe a Facebook comment I read in one of the Kings Island groups that The Beast could be opening on Sunday (Yesterday).

That didn’t happen.

I would think if The Beast really was to be down for the remainder of the year, Kings Island would make a statement. That’s a legendary flagship attraction for the park.

Edited by Steel Maverick
Spacing
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

9 hours ago, malem said:

I last rode on the 24th. I was assigned to Row 9 (unsure which train), and it was one of the rougher rides I've had on The Beast, especially between the first drop and the brake shed. Not as bad as (for example) The Boss, but out of character here.

It was riding well all over the train at Coasterstock (Jul 9-10). Hopefully whatever issues it's having are resolved soon.

As a note I'm pretty sure I was riding in Row 10 for that ride (it was in the yellow part of the train and I know it was not a wheel seat as I specifically asked if I could sit in the next row over as I didn't want to sit in the wheel seat that I was originally assigned to).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steel Maverick said:

I’m no expert on the subject, but I did happen to be at Kings Island on Saturday. The Beast was closed all day.

While at the Mystic Timbers post-ride photo station, two female park employees were discussing the situation. This is what I heard:

“Are you working The Beast today?” “No, didn’t you hear? It’s closed for the rest of the season!” “Wow, really?!” “Major technical issues, it’ll be down for awhile”.

Later on, I approached a member of the park staff that appeared to be monitoring guest experiences and directing various guests to any certain ride or destination they were looking for. I decided to ask this woman if she knew when The Beast would be back up and running. She simply told me, it won’t be up today.

I know you probably receive a lot of speculation on these subjects, but I’ve noticed it wasn’t open yesterday and isn’t open again today either. Since Thursday night it has been closed.

Interestingly enough, the lights for the station, queue, and top of the lift hill were on Saturday night though. That led me to potentially believe a Facebook comment I read in one of the Kings Island groups that The Beast could be opening on Sunday (Yesterday).

That didn’t happen.

I would think if The Beast really was to be down for the remainder of the year, Kings Island would make a statement. That’s a legendary flagship attraction for the park.

I’ve also heard the “rest of the season” rumors. May be true, may not. Remember the rumors get passed around the employees like the delta variant so it’s hard to say if that’s an official word. But wow… imagine Haunt without Beast. That would stink. 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

One single coaster down and Haunt stinks?  I mean Haunt stinks from the overcrowding but come on man.  

The stuff guests smoke and vape stinks too, especially in lines and on lift hills.

Speaking of, how will they deal with the designated smoking area outside the gate and the no re-entry policy of Haunt...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I’ve also heard the “rest of the season” rumors. May be true, may not. Remember the rumors get passed around the employees like the delta variant so it’s hard to say if that’s an official word. But wow… imagine Haunt without Beast. That would stink. 

To me, that briskness that only comes early in the season (April, early May) or fall just makes Beast an even better night ride IMO.  My favorite times of the year for Beast night excursions (most of my favorite night rides are during those times).  Also helps that cooler/wetter weather is where wooden coasters shine. 

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

The stuff guests smoke stinks too.

Speaking of, how will they deal with the designated smoking area outside the gate and the no re-entry policy of Haunt...

Does anyone even use the designated smoking area? From what I have seen they just light up whenever and wherever they want with no repercussions. 

Just now, King Ding Dong said:

Does anyone even use the designated smoking area? From what I have seen they just light up whenever and wherever they want with no repercussions. 

I think an unintended consequence of their new policy is guests just smoke or vape wherever they choose.  In one visit I had guests in front of me in line either smoking or vaping in the queue and even on the rides themselves.  

I have literally seen a ride be a walk-on and once someone gets past the front of the line attendant, they light it up for the short walk from the ride entrance to the station...

So what will be next to combat those that don't follow the rules, do they tighten up the metal detectors so that not even a vape stick can get past and prohibit anyone from entering with a vape stick, pack of cigs, and lighters and matches?  Could be the next step.  Many never thought the park would implement a smoke free policy either and here we are.

We have many smokers on this forum that follow the rules and they are the ones being punished for others lack of common decency and lack of obeying of the rules that one should agree to follow when entering a business.

Unfortunately, even when they had designated smoking areas within the park, you could always see or smell someone smoking outside of those areas, but now it appears to be worse as many do not want to hike it all the way to the front of the park.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

So what will be next to combat those that don't follow the rules, do they tighten up the metal detectors so that not even a vape stick can get past and prohibit anyone from entering with a vape stick, pack of cigs, and lighters and matches?  Could be the next step. 

Next step could be something like a Guest Code of Conduct Card given to each guest.  <_<

• Confused 1