Beast extended downtime

BoddaH1994

10 minutes ago, NegativeGs said:

With The Beast at KI down last weekend, I drove to CP for a change. CP has phenomenal steel/hybrid coasters, but lousy wooden coasters. Looking forward to visiting KI again this coming weekend. And a night ride on The Beast.

What are the names of these wooden coasters at CP you speak of?

14 minutes ago, NegativeGs said:

Maybe, maybe not. Steel Vengeance, Maverick, and Top Thrill Dragster have been down repeatedly during my six CP visits this year.

They always have been.  Attendance shows their strategy of steel coasters has been working out very well for them.  How’s The Beast?

2 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

They always have been.  Attendance shows their strategy of steel coasters has been working out very well for them.  How’s The Beast?

I'll let you know when I enjoy a night ride this coming Saturday. Fingers crossed ^_^

I rode The Beast just before 8:00 tonight. I was in row 6. I thought it was a lot rougher than in the past. The long tunnel after the 2nd lift hill was the roughest in my opinion. Earlier posts said it was good earlier in the season so hopefully it’s something they can get resolved soon.

One thing you have to remember with wooden coasters is that they vary drastically with the weather since its a more natural/living substance that steel.  I'm of the belief that they ride better when its cooler/damper.  They can get pretty gnarly in the heat, even the good ones.   On my trip to Dollywood last month, I noticed even Thunderhead had a bit more of a jackhammer in spots during the day (90 degrees for the high) and ran perfectly later in the evening into the night. 

And, to me, steel coasters are the opposite. 

silver2005, who's best Racer ride was on a wheel seat pre-re-tracking.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, robintodd said:

Rode it last ride of the night last night row 17 (the usual) and it was fantastic.  Noticed no difference in it compared to earlier this season or last season.

I too got row 17 yesterday. Ran well.

I actually like to try different non-wheel rows but I asked for row 17 and as I'm walking towards it, I hear the young guy right behind me ask for it. Whoops.

Don't crucify me for bringing this up, but assuming that The Beast requires significant retracking there is a non-zero chance that CF might consider RMCing it. It's not a fate that I am comfortable with, but more tragic things than that have happened in the past. The park's 50th is coming up soon after all, so radical change is always possibility even if unpopular with many.

44 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

^I remember they did a lot of retracking around the time Diamondback first opened and that turned out pretty good.  They also did it in segments. 

Also, a Beast RMC job would probably rival Orion on costs. 

I'm not sure about that but The Beast is definitely not the kind of ride where you get a big savings with an RMC that uses the existing structure.

2 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

There is no way they could do the whole ride in one off season. It would have to be in sections over multiple years.

There is/are a way/s that it could be done.  The entire ride was built in what 1.5 years?

It's probable, but not practical to do it all one season.  If they sought proposals and a reputable contractor came back with one to retrack that was very favorable and within budget, they could make it happen.  But with current hard material and labor costs, its not likely.

• Like 1