Fantasy coasters and attractions

Thabto

What are some fantasy coasters and attractions in your mind? This is not a discussion asking what you would like added to the park, but a coaster or attraction idea that is highly unlikely to happen due to costs, space constraints, impossible, etc. I just couldn't think of where else to put a discussion like this.

My ideas are:

Racing Giga Coaster

Floorless Wooden Coaster

Giga Hybrid Coaster

• Thanks 1

This is a little crazy but watching some Olympics skateboarding, surfing, the posts about King Cobra, Black Widow and her landing stance a point of satire in the film and a few other things just came together for a new extreme sport.  

Coaster Surfing/Parkour

Could be just one car or the whole train but strip the seats off and make them a flatbed. Qualified athletes could then perform parkour type stunts playing off the different forces of each element. Some sort of structures, walls, hand and foot holds would need to included.  Obviously some sort of safety restraint would need to be engineered and that may end up require a some form of cage as a feather would just get in the way.  Might be a great use of an end of service life coaster that can’t handle the stresses of full trains but is sound enough for light duty and cycles.  

• Like 3

One night I had a dream there was a ride whose vehicles (that IIRC, were either like the single bobsled cars found on Intamin bobsled coasters - https://rcdb.com/99.htm - or a ball like Slingshot) bounced from metal corner to metal corner in the air. The "corner" looked like a rounded metal holder (hard to describe). That would be cool, but very impractical unless there was "invisible" track between the corners.

• 4 weeks later...

Extreme launch coaster that acts as a 'portal' to the other side of the park. Think TTD but instead of straight up and around it would be a huge airtime hill out of the launch and you'd 'land' in the other side of the park. It would be all acceleration and air time in a straight line. 

Of course, you'd need a mirror image of it going the other way as well, and people would end up on the other side-introducing a host of other problems, but a ride like that would be an amazing experience and dominate the skyline. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

If B&M could do it, it would be cool to revive that concept. Anyone on here know how good/bad the capacity was for SFMM's Flashback?

According to RCDB it had a capacity of 1,100 riders per hour, which if you want a comparison is 100 people per hour less than The Bat's capacity.

In theory this capacity could be increased if you added more block zones before and after the station to allow more trains. I think if they could get rid of the pain people experienced it would be a cool, clonable concept that would be reminiscent of what Premier did with their Spaghetti Bowls.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I always wished our train went around the entire park.  It could be a way to get over to Oktoberfest/Coney Mall from Planet Snoopy/Rivertown and vice versa.  I do not remember which park but I thought one of the CF's parks has a train going around the property.  Or it use to have one . . maybe I am thinking of a different park chain.

Kind of similar to getting across the park via the Sky Ride . . although I would like that back too.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, rlentless said:

I always wished our train went around the entire park.  It could be a way to get over to Oktoberfest/Coney Mall from Planet Snoopy/Rivertown and vice versa.  I do not remember which park but I thought one of the CF's parks has a train going around the property.  Or it use to have one . . maybe I am thinking of a different park chain.

Kind of similar to getting across the park via the Sky Ride . . although I would like that back too.

Knotts is pretty close to going all around. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was told that I was crazy for fantasy ideas I had by a friend who knows higher ups in Cedar Fair. Let's just say he's right and I can only dream. I told him I would love to see a recreation of Vortex by a different manufacturer. I also said that it would be cool to have the same kind of lift hill, the two loops, and the dive loop before the helix return. Once again by a different manufacturer. But I was told it's never going to happen so I'll just keep dreaming.

• Like 2

Interesting topic! Since keeping it realistic is not part of the equation:

A true Steeplechase on the Backlot plot like this one at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

An old-fashioned fun house (non-walk through) like the one at Steeplechase Park (Coney Island, NY) in the '30s.

• Like 1

^That would be cool as well. At Cincinnati's (Spring Grove) nearly forgotten Chester Park there was a Virginia Reel called the Tickler.

Arrow pitched a new Virginia Reel concept to parks in the '80s, and made a model, but no one went for it.

At least spinning coasters exist now which are similar to a Virginia Reel in function.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, VioletCoronet50 said:

I'd say a 400 foot tall coaster. Kings Island added Diamondback 20 years after Magnum and Orion 20 years after Millennium Force. We would've seen land clearing by now but it's fun to think about.

I think the current day Cedar Fair management is a lot less concerned with building big massive rides. I think they’re doing great at making sure their “flagship” parks have a couple 300+ foot rides, but I see them focusing more on family friendly rides for the next couple years. 

• Like 3

On 7/23/2022 at 2:25 PM, KI Guy said:

^That would be cool as well. At Cincinnati's (Spring Grove) nearly forgotten Chester Park there was a Virginia Reel called the Tickler.

Arrow pitched a new Virginia Reel concept to parks in the '80s, and made a model, but no one went for it.

At least spinning coasters exist now which are similar to a Virginia Reel in function.

Speaking of which, I got curious and found this video...

That looks super awesome (which LOTS of spinning!), but today we have similar spinning coasters like Spinning Wild Mice or Gerstlauer's spinning coaster.

• Like 1

id like to see a coaster with a triple down off of the lift hill where each plateau section has a slight bump up creating a cliff element. the next element i would like to see i don't know the name of it but diamond back has one where the on ride photo section is that resembles a coiled up snake. next would be a parabolic hill into a banked turnaround then another parabolic hill. then a banked curve to start heading back to the station. on the way it serpentine banks in and out of the first lift hill and maneuvers up to fly through the station. then it helix's down into a break run leading into the station.

overall its a fairly simple coaster but is loaded with elements i like and think are neat. when i first had this idea was after riding voyage but not wanting it so ruff. the layout is pretty much an "L" shape. and i was blown away at the fact that a coaster could fly through the station like thunderhead.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I always wondered if BLSC could handle spinning trains. That huge helix, the banked turn and the twists would certainly make trains spin.

Yes!!! I have wanted this for a while. It would certainly make the coaster more enjoyable (though for some reason, I've really started to gravitate towards BLSC this season...)