Don't use Google Maps for Directions to Kings Island

disco2000

• disco2000 changed the title to Don't use Google Maps for Directions to Kings Island
On 8/4/2021 at 10:33 PM, disco2000 said:

Unless you are applying for a job, don't follow the directions from Google Maps LOL.

https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/dont-waste-your-money/google-maps-glitch-gets-hundreds-of-kings-island-visitors-lost

Long as I get off at the right exit I'm good to go. Mainly use it to know how much further we've got vs need to know which way. It was like that our last visit a few weeks ago too. 

• Like 2

On 8/4/2021 at 10:33 PM, disco2000 said:

Unless you are applying for a job, don't follow the directions from Google Maps LOL.

https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/dont-waste-your-money/google-maps-glitch-gets-hundreds-of-kings-island-visitors-lost

Had this problem for road trips in the past using Apple Maps for directions to KD, KI and Carowinds...

I believe this issue has been fixed now. I’m glad because it was directing a whole lot of people to security post 2 at the employee entrance, backing up traffic and creating lines. It even made me late for my shift once.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, PatchesC said:

Long as I get off at the right exit I'm good to go. Mainly use it to know how much further we've got vs need to know which way. It was like that our last visit a few weeks ago too. 

Generally if you're going to a large destination like KI, it's a good idea to use GPS to get to the area then follow signage from there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsus said:

Generally if you're going to a large destination like KI, it's a good idea to use GPS to get to the area then follow signage from there.

Cedar Point being an exception because all the local signage wants to send you the long way over to Route 6 or Route 2.  Even if you are already on 1st St. the signs want you to head away from the park.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Cedar Point being an exception because all the local signage wants to send you the long way over to Route 6 or Route 2.  Even if you are already on 1st St. the signs want you to head away from the park.  

Cedar Point is iffy there since there's no great way to get through the city.  No idea why the signs suggest US-6 off OH-2 E.  And yeah, dumping you from Monroe down to US-6/Cleveland is lame when Monroe becomes 1st and ends at the causeway (way better).  OH-4 to Monroe/1st St is okay.  US-250/Milan gets all the tourist traffic with hotels, shops, restaurants, the mall, and the park.

The Ohio DOT makes the BGSs (what roadgeeks call big green signs) or big brown signs for a reason. Which usually appear between the advance sign and the turn off sign. That is the exit you take if you want to go to Kings Island, it really is that simple.

KKONBHSI4UXUUYQC66EDJ2MSRI.jpg

The reliance of everyone using Navigation systems makes everyone dumber in getting around. In a sense it is similar to what spellcheck has done. How many nowadays would even know how to get to Chicago from Cincy without using a NAV system? I don't mean a specific address but to Chicago in general,. Heck, I wonder on this very site how many understand how I-5, I-95, and I-10, I-90 get their route numbers from. 

I could also argue that Kings Island should have a green sign and not a brown sign, because according to the MUTCD, brown is reserved for "Recreational and Cultural Interest". In other words, I assume brown signs refers to actual natural recreation like National Parks. While I personally see a theme park as an entertainment destination, in the same vein of a sporting venue.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

+1 on knowing how the interstate numbers are derived LOL.

Fine then, do you know why the signs on the interstates are rectangular with square edges but yet have a rounded border? (And don’t reference the Ohio Turnpike, signs there have square edged with a square border like here in Ontario)

5 hours ago, MisterSG1 said:

Fine then, do you know why the signs on the interstates are rectangular with square edges but yet have a rounded border? (And don’t reference the Ohio Turnpike, signs there have square edged with a square border like here in Ontario)

The Federal Style Guide for Interstate Travel? ;)

38 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

The Federal Style Guide for Interstate Travel? ;)

From the MUTCD, pay attention to section 2

“Section 2A.14 Sign Borders

Standard:
01 Unless otherwise provided, each sign illustrated in this Manual shall have a border of the same color as the legend, at or just inside the edge.

02 The corners of all sign borders shall be rounded, except for STOP signs.”

So yeah, that’s the reason, you might ask why don’t they simply “trim” the edges to make the signs round? Well good luck trying to do that with those extruded signs (with the ribs on the back). Some states have rounded signs like New York and Florida, but don’t use extruded signs. I know off topic but I figured I’d answer the question.