When did Skyline Chili come to the park?

BoddaH1994

The marriage between KI and LaRosa’s is legendary, but did Skyline come in with the park’s debut in 1972? If not, when did it come in?

Fun fact, the IStreet Skyline is actually a relatively recent invention. Around 2004-ish it was a Chinese restaurant called Mandarine Cuisine! 

• Like 1

I think it was All Star Grill/Sports Cafe or something in the 90s.  

I highly doubt Skyline was there originally the park.  They were still relatively small in the early 70s (founded in 1949 but it took them a long time to get multiple locations). I'd guess late 70s or 80s.  I know for sure it was there in the 90s as I've always remembered the Coney Mall and Rivertown locations (I'm a 90s kid, the funnel cake stand where Timbers is now used to sell footlong coneys).  The CI Skyline patio is one of my favorite places to eat in the park. 

45 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

The marriage between KI and LaRosa’s is legendary, but did Skyline come in with the park’s debut in 1972? If not, when did it come in?

Fun fact, the IStreet Skyline is actually a relatively recent invention. Around 2004-ish it was a Chinese restaurant called Mandarine Cuisine! 

Chinese in the Swiss building makes about as much sense a “Greek” chili. 

On 8/6/2021 at 11:22 AM, BoddaH1994 said:

It was also a Skip's deli and a few other things.  However, I do believe Sklyine was in that location during a few years of Winterfest in the 80's

On 8/6/2021 at 8:43 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

Here is what @BoddaH1994 was referencing. I found that and a Mexican place. These are in our galleries.

manderain.jpg

IMG_4406.jpg

At least these were “international” on International Street. Not the best location for the Chinese place, but if they were to add a food service location in tgg he r tower gardens (that could share service areas to coney BBQ) tgg he at would be a great place. Chinese dining in a “beautiful “ garden. 

25 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

What general type of food did the Lunch Basket used to serve?

Correct me if I am wrong, but when it was All Star Cafe, did they have some character meet and greet breakfasts with some of the Hanna Barbera Characters in the early to mid 90`s?

That sounds right.  

I'd also take those bakeries that used to be on I-Street back in a heartbeat.   I-Street used to smell AMAZING. 

11 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

That sounds right.  

I'd also take those bakeries that used to be on I-Street back in a heartbeat.   I-Street used to smell AMAZING. 

Yes! Auntie Ann’s and Cinnabon need to move back over to the FkyingJ that they came from. KI has pretty good cupcakes and other baked goods in the cases at Coney BBQ and other spots. It would be wonderful if some of that was “show baked” on I street. 

• Like 1