Cedar Point to Announce Something Special Tonight

It would be great if Wicked Twister came to KI.

Though I got my "last rides" in 2019, I'm contemplating going up that weekend to say goodbye. I think it's a very cool coaster and it's got an awesome soundtrack! B)

...And here's a similar sounding song:

RIP. :(

• Like 2

I find it odd that it appears she's looking at photos of Mantis in the 150 Year Anniversary Book. Probably to fuel B&M Surf Coaster rumors. Aren't those supposed to be the next gen comfortable restraint stand ups?

I was actually hoping that it was Rougarou (Mantis) being relocated to somewhere It'll be appreciated. I do hope that Wicked Twister finds a new home thought versus being scrapped.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AgentSoB said:

I find it odd that it appears she's looking at photos of Mantis in the 150 Year Anniversary Book. Probably to fuel B&M Surf Coaster rumors. Aren't those supposed to be the next gen comfortable restraint stand ups?

I was actually hoping that it was Rougarou (Mantis) being relocated to somewhere It'll be appreciated. I do hope that Wicked Twister finds a new home thought versus being scrapped.

I noticed that too. Rougarou is one of the least popular coasters at CP. Its not a bad ride by any means but its popularity certainly went down these past few years. I don't think people would necessarily miss it if it goes.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, kirbias1 said:

The rumors from some CP fans is that it's going to Michigan's Adventure. I personally hope it comes to KI. I have always loved that ride. I wonder if it would fit in the large open space in Area 72 back by Orion break run where some people on here supposedly saw some soil samples spots?

I feel like CF wouldn't send a coaster to sister park in the same state. Yes they did that with Firehawk but GL was shutting down. While it would be cool, I don't see CP giving KI a hand-me-down coaster.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I noticed that too. Rougarou is one of the least popular coasters at CP. Its not a bad ride by any means but its popularity certainly went down these past few years. I don't think people would necessarily miss it if it goes.

I disagree. For me, that would be a 1-2 punch :( ... we'll see what happens...

But yeah, seeing Mantis in that video did make me of the Surf Coaster. Though they wouldn't do that after having Mantis converted, right?

-MDMC, a fan of Rougarou

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, McSalsa said:

RIP Wicked Twister 2002-2021.

That video also may have given some hints at what may replace Wicked Twister- here is my thoughts/prediction: I think the Tornado in the film is not a reference to Wicked Twister itself, but a much older Cedar Point coaster- the Cedar Point Cyclone, which was located not far from where Wicked Twister sits now (GateKeeper sits on the site of the old Cyclone but there is no way they are removing GateKeeper anytime soon).

With the old sports stadium near Wicked Twister also removed, there may be room to cram a woodie in that spot. Not a gigantic record-breaker, but a small yet quality wooden coaster from GCI or the Gravity Group would fill a huge hole that has existed in Cedar Point's lineup for years and got worse when Mean Streak was transformed into Steel Vengeance. And a wooden coaster is gonna offer higher capacity than the 1-train Wicked Twister did, even if it can only run 2 trains.

Wicked Twister may also end up at another park, though we can determine that by if Cedar Point takes it down carefully or just rips it apart. I would bet if it is relocated it is probably going to a smaller Cedar Fair park without an impulse.

I agree with your observation.  Something along the beach that tips it's hat to something in CP's history.  They also desperately need another wood coaster and after the success of MT it almost seems like a no-brainer.  (Might be a possibility to remove some of the pavilion on the other side of the WindSeeker entrance gate just to have another coaster interact with the last gate that doesn't do so.)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, silver2005 said:

^Not even close.

Remember Wicked Twister still holds the speed and height records for inverted coasters in the world.   Combine that with Banshee holding the length and in a multi-way tie for the inverted inversion record and we'd have all the good inverted coaster records. B)  

Actually wicked twister’s record just got broken by a Chinese park. They got a next gen impulse and it’s taller and faster.

https://rcdb.com/16426.htm

This may be why they decided to remove it. It didn’t fit that well and now it’s not a record holder

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

Actually wicked twister’s record just got broken by a Chinese park. They got a next gen impulse and it’s taller and faster.

https://rcdb.com/16426.htm

This may be why they decided to remove it. It didn’t fit that well and now it’s not a record holder

Not enough facepalm for this.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

What do you mean, am I wrong? Lol

About Cedar Point removing Wicked Twister because a park in China has a version that's taller and faster?  Yes, that makes absolutely no sense.  When has any park ever removed a ride entirely simply because another park built one that was longer, taller, faster, or some other record?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jsus said:

About Cedar Point removing Wicked Twister because a park in China has a version that's taller and faster?  Yes, that makes absolutely no sense.  When has any park ever removed a ride entirely simply because another park built one that was longer, taller, faster, or some other record?

Well I mean the only good reason I could think of besides that is the fact that the capacity is low. No need to be so aggressive about it, it was just an idea

• Confused 1

While I have never seen any hard numbers it is often said it is the most expensive ride in the park to operate due to the power requirements of multiple launches per cycle.  If this is accurate it is hard to justify with ridership so low.  For this reason there is a strong probability the ride is not relocated and just scrapped.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

Well I mean the only good reason I could think of besides that is the fact that the capacity is low. No need to be so aggressive about it, it was just an idea

Almost every record breaker CP built was broken a few years later.  If your analogy held true, then they would have got rid of a lot of rides.  Dragster, Valravyn, Millie, Magnum, Steel Vengeance are just a few examples of coasters that held world records and were broken within a few years...

In fact, I do not think they are the current world record holders on any ride at the moment.  I think KI has more current world record holders than CP.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

While I have never seen any hard numbers it is often said it is the most expensive ride in the park to operate due to the power requirements of multiple launches per cycle.  If this is accurate it is hard to justify with ridership so low.  For this reason there is a strong probability the ride is not relocated and just scrapped.  

Absolutely agree.  While I really enjoyed Wicked Twister, a ride that is costly only works when the popularity aligns.  The electric and maintenance cost is more money they can spend on other more popular attractions.  When you are a virtual walkon in a very busy park your days are numbered.

• Like 2

^ I see you guy's point there, but If you send it a smaller park like Michigan's Adventure, they might gain more fan base for a ride like Wicked Twister because it's something new to the fans up there. Yes, I get the maintenance cost issues part, but a park like them might not care and would welcome it just because it's a new roller coaster. Take Demon Drop for example.

2 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Almost every record breaker CP built was broken a few years later.  If your analogy held true, then they would have got rid of a lot of rides.  Dragster, Valravyn, Millie, Magnum, Steel Vengeance are just a few examples of coasters that held world records and were broken within a few years...

In fact, I do not think they are the current world record holders on any ride at the moment.  I think KI has more current world record holders than CP.

Good point lol. Glad you explained it better. Either way, wicked twister was an unpopular ride. I know it had it’s fans here and there (including me) but it’s out of date, at least for CP standards. I truly hope it goes to a park like MIA. It would fit in with the trend of impulses going to smaller Cedar Fair parks like dorney park and valleyfair.

Also, in case you missed, I did say it could be gone because of no longer being a record holder *and* not being popular. That doesn’t add much difference to my idiotic reasoning but I feel like people missed that.

• Like 1

While my first post earlier was focused on the teaser for the removal, now I kinda wanna talk a bit about how I felt about Wicked Twister itself. I really enjoyed Wicked Twister- it was nowhere near my favorite coaster in the park (not easy to be that when said park has Steel Vengeance, Maverick, Millennium Force, Magnum XL-200, Top Thrill Dragster and Raptor) it was a very fun ride, even if it was gimmicky. The launches were powerful, and looking straight down from over 200 feet in the air was actually more terrifying to me on Wicked Twister than it was on Valravn. Every launch, I was always a bit worried that the LSMs would overshoot and we would launch off the spikes RCT style. :P

Sadly, I understand the removal: Wicked Twister is probably a expensive ride to run, and was not very popular. Yes rides like Magnum XL-200 and Rougarou usually also have stupid short waits but at least they have very high capacity to explain said short wait times. Wicked Twister did not have high capacity, running only 1 train and thus taking at least 3+ minutes between dispatches, yet only once did I ever have to wait for it (45 minutes for my first ride in late 2017, and that was only because the only other coaster running in the park at the time was Blue Streak due to cold temps- Blue Streak had a 90 minute wait at that point!). This was good for me, Wicked Twister was a coaster I enjoyed snagging quick rides on while my friends smoked and stuff. But from a park's POV, keeping a ride that expensive to run (5 launches per cycle had to be heck on their electric bills) with such low ridership was clearly not good.

Something I do wanna praise Wicked Twister for though: I rarely ever saw it down, which is odd considering Intamin made it. Cold temps, as stated below? Wicked Twister was open. Windy? Wicked Twister was somehow open (I once rode it with 30mph wind gusts which was crazy!). On my visits to Cedar Point from 2017-2019, I never saw it down yet I saw TTD, Steel Venegance, Millennium Force, Maverick, and even Valravn go down a few times each...especially TTD. But never Wicked Twister.

Wicked Twister goes next to Vortex and Firehawk on my short list of defunct coasters I have ridden, and while TBH I miss Vortex more, if I had a chance to ride one of them again and for some reason cannot choose Vortex, I would re-ride Wicked Twister over Firehawk.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

Aggressive?  I said it makes no sense.  That's not aggressive..