Worlds of Fun cancels Winterfest

Farewell to WinterFest, But More Fun to Come

WinterFest will not be returning this season. It was a difficult business decision, but canceling the event allows us to focus on new park investments and enhancements. We’ll certainly miss seeing our guests enjoying the park covered in lights with all their favorite characters.

I know this was announced in March but it completely slipped by me and I don’t remember it being discussed here.

Does anyone know what the deal is? Did they have attendance issues? Was the weather commonly unfavorable? I was just a little shocked to hear this since it’s such a large investment. 

• Like 1

Have they said it was permanently canceled?  I saw back in March that they said they were canceling it for this season.  I kind of just assumed that it was a one time thing.  The GM at Worlds of Fun is a former KI operations manager.

If it is a permanent cancelation, it does kind of run counter intuitive to what Cedar Fair has been doing to try and expand the season (makes me wonder if this is just a one off cancelation).  If it is permanent, I bet the decorations they had will be redistributed to the other parks in the chain.

Having visited Worlds of Fun before, the park is nice.  It has a slightly weird layout to it. Prowler is kind of back off by itself.  It is much a much smaller park than KI.  When we went, I think we were done with everything we wanted to ride by about 4.  The longest wait of the day was for Spinning Dragons.  That park could definitely benefit from a new coaster at some point.  Although, the same could be said for Dorney, Valleyfair, and Michigan`s Adventure.

Cedar Fair did not include WoF as getting Winterfest in their chain-wide 2022 update last week, nor is it showing up as a benefit for the 2022 season pass sale.

From the press release:  "And as the weather turns colder, WinterFest will return to Carowinds, California’s Great America, Kings Dominion, Canada’s Wonderland and Kings Island."