Kings Dominion’s next best move after daytime fireworks

• BoddaH1994 changed the title to Kings Dominion’s next best move after daytime fireworks

I have a strong opinion one way or another, but...

I do remember back in the (probably) early 2000's where (P)KI had some limited operation days. In fact, one of those days was when I got my first ride on Flight of Fear (as, IIRC, it was one of the major coasters open).

I guess with the 12-5 hours it is easy to see why a lot of the Planet Snoopy rides are going.

Don't worry the mom's will complain on FB that is when their kids nap and wish it was open at 10am.

Certainly at those reduced hours it will mostly be passholders, so I do not think the shops will be a hot priority.

But things are so out of whack right now, watch them have great attendance for these limited hours and rides days and the Board says "do it chain wide for May and August"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, disco2000 said:

I guess with the 12-5 hours it is easy to see why a lot of the Planet Snoopy rides are going.

Don't worry the mom's will complain on FB that is when their kids nap and wish it was open at 10am.

Certainly at those reduced hours it will mostly be passholders, so I do not think the shops will be a hot priority.

But things are so out of whack right now, watch them have great attendance for these limited hours and rides days and the Board says "do it chain wide for May and August"

At this point I don’t know if KD sits on the same shelf as the rest of the chain. My guess is they were given lofty attendance goals but not much to support them. 

• Like 1

I wonder sometimes why they don't go back and use a few Paramount tricks for things like this.  Years ago they used to recruit retirees and stay at home parents to work the first two full weeks of the season and the last two full weeks of the season.  If I remember correctly, I believe they even gave them a season pass along with a paycheck.   

Or, back when I was there, they took associates from other departments to work rides on Math and Science days.   They were quickly trained for some of the easier positions.  It was actually a nice change of pace to work rides a couple days a year.

9 hours ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

Maybe they should spend more than 2% as much time on intelligent park operations as they do posting their ridiculous GPS coordinates.

"Ridiculous" seems like an odd choice of words. It's a PR campaign for a new ride, which isn't an effort that takes all of management's attention.

Yikes!  2pm opening time on Saturdays?  In the past, Haunt Friday`s at KI were 6pm to 1am.  I know that last year they had planned to close at midnight on Friday`s during Haunt.  Way back when Haunt was a separate charge event in 2000-2002, Friday nights were 8pm to midnight.  Then it moved up to 7pm.  Later closes on Sunday`s would be a plus at KI.  But with the 2pm opening time, it really cuts down on the amount of time for the kid friendly portion of the day.  I wonder if Kings Island will see a similar move with regards to the park opening time.

https://www.kingsdominion.com/calendar-and-hours

4 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

Yikes!  2pm opening time on Saturdays?  In the past, Haunt Friday`s at KI were 6pm to 1am.  I know that last year they had planned to close at midnight on Friday`s during Haunt.  Way back when Haunt was a separate charge event in 2000-2002, Friday nights were 8pm to midnight.  Then it moved up to 7pm.  Later closes on Sunday`s would be a plus at KI.  But with the 2pm opening time, it really cuts down on the amount of time for the kid friendly portion of the day.  I wonder if Kings Island will see a similar move with regards to the park opening time.

https://www.kingsdominion.com/calendar-and-hours

Well KD is giving kids 5 hours of weekday openings the rest of August so that the adults can have September and October weekends LOL.

Looks like the name, LOGO and POV was leaked a day early. While the coaster type is not necessary a 'leak' as it's been long known for a year now. I'm unsure why KD didn't go the route of, "Find out what that thing in the parking lot will look like next year"

No link provided to abide by sites TOS. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Nemo said:

Looks like the name, LOGO and POV was leaked a day early. While the coaster type is not necessary a 'leak' as it's been long known for a year now. I'm unsure why KD didn't go the route of, "Find out what that thing in the parking lot will look like next year"

No link provided to abide by sites TOS. 

And another example of enthusiast entitlement makes the park less willing to have events for enthusiasts. The guy that leaked it, did so as he was upset over not being invited to the announcement.

With Kings Dominion’s fall calendar being released, I am anxious to see Kings Island’s. I was initially disappointed that Kings Island wasn’t doing Halloween Haunt on Sundays like some other parks, but I rather have better hours. Also, it is nice that Kings Island is devoting more time to families with Sundays just being the Tricks and Treats Fall Fest. I was hoping that Kings Island would see the return of 10:00 AM openings this fall, but I am fine with 11:00 AM openings after seeing Kings Dominion’s calendar.

I am glad Kings Dominion seems to be putting effort into theming their new S&S Free Spin. It may be a basic ride, but at least it looks like they are really trying to present it nicely. Six Flags, on the other hand, slaps a DC theme on their S&S Free Spins and paint them accordingly, and those don’t look as good in my opinion. I don’t mind this addition, but it seems like more of a well-themed flat ride than a coaster. Technically this new ride is replacing a flat ride, but I think some people fear this is also Volcano’s replacement at least for the foreseeable future. 

Shame that they pre-empted the announcement since they were not invited.  I was not aware it was an invite only announcement, since they are open today.

I remain hopeful for this awesome park.  They are adding a coaster.  But this coaster is a step up from the flat ride it is replacing and it apparently is highly themed.  Could this begin a trend?  It will be difficult to replace the awesome Volcano: The Blast Coaster, perhaps they will install a highly themed, reliable people eater that will be a signature coaster to the park.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

They really need a B&M hyper.

If they didn't go with Intimidator 305 in 2010 they could have gotten a hyper twister model like what you see with Raging Bull at Six Flags Great America. That could have been enough to Market it as something different from a Apollo's Chariot. Now they have a twister giga so the most logical sense would be an out-and-back hyper which would basically be compared to Apollo's Chariot.

So in a sense they should've gotten a hyper twister in 2010 and maybe they would have been in better shape.

• Like 2

The park could really use a B&M hyper but with Apollo’s Chariot at BGW it’s going to have to be something special and unique, at least for the area.

I have suggested it before but some other park really does needs to do it.  A B&M hyper with a dual load station with one side running trains facing forward and one running backwards similar to Hollywood Dream at Universal Studios Japan.  It adds complexity and cost with track switches, more queues, staff, a fourth train, etc.  But it also basically gives the park two ride experiences at once and USJ actually has different naming for the backwards experience calling it BackDrop.  Advertise it as two rides in one and give it two different names.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silver2005 said:

^I'm pretty sure BGW has a B&M clause with KD whereas KD can't build a new one.  I say new one as they got around it with Dominator being relocated.  

That can't be indefinite though. It would be one thing if BGW ordered something from B&M every 3 years or so but the park hasn't gotten a B&M since 2007. If that's the case B&M is limiting their clientele by only agreeing to work with one park, especially if they haven't sold anything to them in over a decade.

• Like 3